Now that we have some engine stats, here are some Mun mission engines by the numbers.

Basketcase

Sorry for the strange font color.  I copy/pasted it and don't see a way to remove background font color.

This should be a fun glimpse into how I plan a mission in KSP.  The videos have given me enough information to get started...

KSP 2 Engine Options for Simple Mun Mission (Mass Optimization Only)

- Mun Lander Stage - Assuming typical payload for 3 Kerbal capsule and not much else. TWR of 0.8 (on Kerbin) should do fine. The lower the Total Mass, the better the engine for a given dV. Total mass of vehicle (payload+fuel+tank+engine) on the vertical. dV on the horizontal.

y7HXBWn.png

- Mun Lander Stage - Assuming 1300 dV is appropriate if we using the orbiter stage to return, the best engine for this payload is 1 Terrier. The next best is 2 Spark engines, then 4 Twitch engines, and so on.

z2dvOnV.png

- Orbiter Stage - Given the above, this stage can assume about 8.3t payload. Let's go with a TWR of 0.4 to allow for better mass efficiency.

OL5W1QX.png

-Orbiter Stage- Assuming 1390 dV is appropriate, the best engine for this payload is 1 Nerv (let's forget about costs in KSP 2 early access). The next best is 1 Terrier engine, then 3 Spark engines, and so on.

j3tUxbr.png

-Sustainer Stage- Given a reasonable choice from above, this stage can assume about 14.5t payload. Let's go with a TWR of 1.0 to allow for easy circularization around Kerbin.

0qD13Gu.png

-Sustainer Stage- Assuming 2400 dV is appropriate, the best engine for this payload is 1 Swerv (obviously broken when costs don't matter here). The next best is 2 Poodle engines, then 2 Swivel engines, 1 Skipper, and so on.

1bOrdVe.png

-Launch Stage- Given the above, let's assume we don't use the Swerv, but instead the Poodles to make it fair when things get balanced. That would make about 42t payload. Let's go with a TWR of 1.7 for the start of Kerbin ascent.

9qJ1QoP.png

-Launch Stage- Assuming 1070 dV is appropriate, the best engine for this payload is 8 Darts. The next best is 1 Mainsail engine, then 1 Rhino engine, and so on. The final mass of our rocket from the launch pad ends up around 76t with this configuration.

Zq1daEn.png

-Single Stage Launch- Let's see what happens if we combine the Sustainer and Launch Stages. Let's start back at the 14.5t payload to orbit. Let's go with a TWR of 1.7 for the start of Kerbin ascent. Something to note, I calculated SRBs as if they had variable fuel tanks. They would be less efficient than shown in most cases.

EMjfPpe.png

-Single Stage Launch- Assuming 3450 dV is appropriate, the best engine for this payload is 10 Darts. The next best is 2 Vector engines, then 3 Skipper engines, and so on. The final mass of our rocket from the launch pad ends up around 123t with this configuration.

P9scMl3.png

Edited by Basketcase