Couldn't launch from Steam app, could launch from File Explorer (Software Restriction Policy issue)

Gordon Fecyk

Just bought and installed the thing. Runs OK on Core i9 11th gen and RTX 3070 (not Ti).

First couple of times I attempted to launch the thing from the Steam app, but couldn't. On a lark I opened it from the installation folder and it launched. Also got a Windows Firewall prompt to have it accept inbound connections, which I figured was unnecessary in single player mode so I ignored that.

I made it to a Mun flyby and came back in one piece, though the seas were pretty rough on splashdown kicking the pod around.

Trying to launch it from within Steam only had it exit right away, with '1 min' play time logged.

Granted, I do have Software Restriction Policy enabled, and looking in my logs I found this:

Access to C:\Users\gordo\AppData\Local\PD Launcher\pcr-1.3.0.1366\LauncherPatcher.exe has been restricted by your Administrator by the default software restriction policy level.

And shortly afterward:

Fault bucket 1920914238771734676, type 5
Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: KSP2_x64.exe
P2: 2020.3.33.23162
P3: 10.0.19044.2.0.0
Attached files:
[snip the rest]

I'm not too worried though. My setup is unusual compared to most. Though I do wonder why it's trying to run executable programs in user-writeable space. It launches from within File Explorer, so the game itself seems OK.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Edited title

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.