Suspected jettisoned parts still counting as part of spacecraft, causing unexpected physics

Macenzie

As a long time KSP player of around 800 hours or so I decided to pick up KSP 2 and go straight onto building an Apollo style mission like I had done dozens of times before.
Getting the configuration right has been trial and error, especially as you can't currently use docking ports like decouplers (I hope that gets changed).

I've noticed with different design iterations I've ended up with "phantom" decouplers in my staging that don't go away and if I highlight them they aren't anywhere on the ship or I see them highlight in the distance.

So far this has caused 2 issues.

• When I reconfigure the command module to join with the lander, if I turn on SAS the whole craft just spins out of control, I believe its because the game doesn't know the where the centre of the craft is due to a part miles away and it goes haywire 
  • I managed to get to a point where I was ready to land on the Mun but the lander camera was off centre as if the centre of the aircraft was somewhere else. When I managed to land the camera would drift inwards as if a part were floating away and the camera was trying to remain centred

This, in my opinion is a game breaking issue as it limits us to very simple designs to get the job done. Too many complex stages and we run the risk of botched physics ruining our mission later on.

Anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts?

1 minute ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I had the stock Kerbal 2 not detach its second stage from its service module. Remembering joined parts issues like this from KSP 1, I did on-rails time-warp for a few seconds and this caused the spent stage to drift away.

Yep, same thing here. The core stage stays attached, like the decoupler is stuck to the bells of the Poodle engine. It seems like this is something that would be fixed. I was annoyed because I wanted to use the last 600 meter per second of dV left in that stage for a transfer burn, and having to pause, time warp, then upause before continuing my burn was a real pain in the Ker-butt. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.