8x AA still so much aliasing, what is going on with Anti-Aliasing in this game?

thewrulph

What is going on with Anti-Aliasing in this engine? 8x AA enabled but still image quality is really really bad. It's even worse in motion as every single edge is flickering.

Is it 8x supersampling? is it 8x multisampling? What even is it using?

Tried rendering at 4K with 8x AA and then downsampling with DRS to 1440p doesn't produce a clean image.

More here: https://imgur.com/a/7dMEb73

This example from the VAB really shows it clearly:

pIvG25O.png

This 400% crop from KSC shows just everything is a garbled pixel soup:

TmbQrcZ.png

400% crop from the main menu.

wc2Ia3O.png

Edited by thewrulph

This was the first thing that I noticed when booting up Kerbal2.  Looking at the games settings, resolution was low and had to be increased to match my monitor.  This made it a bit better.  The in game settings don't seem to do anything, however, adjusting nvidia settings (Nvidia Control Panel) did help to make things a bit more clear.

Almost no games use MSAA anymore because it's incompatible with deferred rendering. I assume KSP2 is using FXAA, TAA, or some other variety of post-process anti-aliasing like most games these days.

There are clearly some problems with the way it's working right now though. Seems like it's only being applied to certain objects.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem, ticking 8x Anti-Aliasing in the settings doesn't seem to have any impact on the game, looks the same as without it. Maybe it isn't implemented, or the buttons in the settings aren't working ?

V0.1.1.0.21572

i7-9700K not overclocked

RTX 2060 6GB

32GB

On 3/3/2023 at 9:13 PM, demise002 said:

or Unity renderer is this bad

=))) don't discuss things you have no idea about... the rendering API is Direct3D of DirectX, and Unity produces the most amazing quality out there, UE is nowhere near both performance and quality per fps wise

I have the same problem, ticking 8x Anti-Aliasing in the settings doesn't seem to have any impact on the game

what stops you from using Nvidia control applet in "replace application settings"? but you will get even more appaling frame rates...

the developer configured things this wasy for Unity player - and they did it because the game at the moment has huge problems with 3D objects overpolygonization, non-efficient shaders and render queue - so if they create a setting in unity with say 8x texture filtering + 16 shadow cascades + 32 dynamic lights - it will literally be a slideshow. Thus they elected to limit graphics until they sort out the content being rendered and how exactly it is rendered (shaders) so that "a common kid" with no knowledge of how things work would say: "err... uhhh... doh... on my duper-rgb-4090 KSP2 runs at 40fps"...

I'm sure, by later alpha versions when they sort out all the inefficiencies in design of objects and use of shaders and render queue - they will difinitely tune the graphics modes (it takes about a minute per each mode in Unity player + time to re-build the project). For now, one can use Nvidia Control Applet in "replace application settings" mode to set x16, superscaling or whatever one wants to make very beautiful screenshots at 2-3 fps =)