Duna Mastery Challenge - from Fly-bys to Settlements

OJT

On 4/14/2023 at 4:55 PM, Calvido said:

Here's my submissions for missions 1 through 4  :cool:

As for game versions. 1-3 were done in v0.1.1.0 and 4 was done in v.0.1.2.0.

Had to fight off a few bugs along the way but should be getting better now :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):

1. Destination Duna

Simple launch vehicle and probe for a simple mission :wink:

Hide contents

u0l0ySI.png

mwHxC4b.png

1KgroGW.png

C2a9W8i.png

9iP0qrP.png

3cUWdo0.png

JHQanHl.png

nR3T6vw.png

YaQZXvn.png

2. Otherworldly Connection

I don't like adding fins to every launch vehicle but alas. Simple orbit mission! Still can't make good looking craft :P

Hide contents

6WJCYxI.png

VTzFKNO.png

tCxeaez.png

cd1BdSj.png

UhHYQf5.png

HjDu3fs.png

RAdb5LR.png

t0TKos4.png

CayvOFJ.png

Kmtd4zf.png

3. Transmitting Live From Duna

Tried making a 3 satellite network in one launch but after many failed/buggy/kraken launches decided to just send two and use the satellite from the previous mission as the third. Really wish the craft construction system gets quality of life upgrades in coming patches, because I got a few headaches with this one...

Also got a weird bug where one of the satellites would have a 'phantom propulsion' since I was continuously getting thrust with engines off and no RCS...

Anyways, here it goes!

Hide contents

t4QY0pJ.png

VUYXy0M.png

crL9KZP.png

wYWw7Rm.png

drezBaj.png

7xhwq85.png

v7XOgsv.png

obgeAax.png

GniymVi.png

AEGMKCo.png

4. First Landing

Wanted a more sophisticated design for this one so I went with a Parachute/skycrane landing system (just so the parachute doesn't accidentally cover our neat equipment after landing :D)

Fun mission! Here it goes:

Hide contents

3hQb4Z9.png

8E58jmR.png

1cvYRuc.png

AHmJjx6.png

anqJ5Tw.png

aOvc4Ip.png

FkcU44U.png

HeTNM4H.png

A73Ph8H.png

KKUoV1V.png

9g46qwb.png

L7Y7h3C.png

I49hpc0.png

Kt6bhbp.png

ap97YDv.png

47VQQqq.png

And that's it for now! I'll try to get the other reports on here shortly! Thanks for the missions!

Very belated review (and I truly apologize for that), but everything looks really neat and cleanly done! I will be adding your submissions in the lists :)

On 5/16/2023 at 6:57 PM, Pat20999 said:

I'm going to need some more screenshots to verify this. Screenshots of the starting rocket, some of the staging sequences maybe, and at least one from the map view showing the flight path

21 hours ago, Pat20999 said:

Please, add more stuff like space stations and bases

Challenges centered around these will be coming! ;)

• 2 months later...

Hello lads

It's been a while. Let's revive the thread with my Unmanned Rover submission :cool:

C82nL7R.jpg

Two stage rocket brings the Rover into Kerbin orbit first and then propelling it towards Duna

Spoiler

QJhF0dV.jpg

eGW3ZUC.jpg

i6lHGwz.jpg

Approaching Duna

Spoiler

CnJ3eCP.jpg

CbwoIf5.jpg

Detaching the transfer stage and entering the atmosphere

Spoiler

dsA77J3.jpg

w16rwVT.jpg

Deploying the parachutes and gently touching down at Duna South Pole with the help of lander engines

Spoiler

EgCqAMf.jpg

AES4B7S.jpg

LIkcPdy.jpg

3UtSTV5.jpg

Z0yDNAL.jpg

At this point I realized that simply detaching the Rover didn't work because the Rover got stuck on the plate and couldn't drive out of it. So I reloaded, tilted the landing stage and then detached the rover, allowing it to roll off

Spoiler

X3NulTD.jpg

Going for a small drive to complete the mission

Spoiler

QDVU1n5.jpg

Fw7bzUy.jpg

Anyone else wanna jump in on the action? :) I know that the game has some work to be done, but considering this thread was inaugurated pretty much on the launch, plenty of first bugs have been sorted out to make the missions more manageable

6 hours ago, ChromeDome said:

@OJT I feel you should add more challenges, I and Draradech have already completed all of them and there isn't much that I can do to revive it

New challenges will arrive. Yes, I said that multiple times, but I actually have some mission concepts worked out and once I feel that there's enough missions to warrant new series, I will add them

6 hours ago, ChromeDome said:

And when the hell did you a mod?

A while ago. Time flies doesn't it? :lol:

• 6 months later...

1. Destination Duna

asiVwIE.jpeg
My Probe arriving at Duna

I was suggested doing this challenge 8 months, on June 7th 2023 by @GalileOh-No - I just had to finish my LKO - to MUN fuel station build. Which turned out to take quite a while. 

How ever, that being done, It was time to leave the Kerbin SOI. (Yes.. I have about 800h in KSP2 and I never left the SOI)
If you guys dont mind, I would like to make a seperate Mission Report where I document my process? Just so I dont clutter this threat to much.

Any way: Here is the semi detailed mission in a spoiler section:

Spoiler

klA3MtJ.jpeg

I repurposed my refuel glider as a second stage to get the satelite into LKO before sending it off to Duna - Both the 1st and the second stage is reusable ofcourse.

T1c7uOY.jpeg

Stage separation 

AEVtYFJ.jpeg

Return of stage 1.

0IVpTU4.jpeg

Deployment of the Duna Probe

zp2tD9i.jpeg

Reentry of the glider.

Uiry528.jpeg

Safely back at KSC.

3HFO5s8.jpeg

My chosen path - by chance I had a okay window to Duna. - Its not the one that the optimal position compared to The Kerbal Space Program Δv Map - but I had enough Δv to get it done.

c04mzGb.jpeg

The little probe performing its burn.

nt7fht0.jpeg

Et Vois La! A fly by of Duna. 

KSP2 v.0.2.1.0 

Edited by BechMeister
Added game version to post

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 8:15 PM, BechMeister said:

1. Destination Duna

asiVwIE.jpeg
My Probe arriving at Duna

I was suggested doing this challenge 8 months, on June 7th 2023 by @GalileOh-No - I just had to finish my LKO - to MUN fuel station build. Which turned out to take quite a while. 

How ever, that being done, It was time to leave the Kerbin SOI. (Yes.. I have about 800h in KSP2 and I never left the SOI)
If you guys dont mind, I would like to make a seperate Mission Report where I document my process? Just so I dont clutter this threat to much.

Any way: Here is the semi detailed mission in a spoiler section:

Reveal hidden contents

klA3MtJ.jpeg

I repurposed my refuel glider as a second stage to get the satelite into LKO before sending it off to Duna - Both the 1st and the second stage is reusable ofcourse.

T1c7uOY.jpeg

Stage separation 

AEVtYFJ.jpeg

Return of stage 1.

0IVpTU4.jpeg

Deployment of the Duna Probe

zp2tD9i.jpeg

Reentry of the glider.

Uiry528.jpeg

Safely back at KSC.

3HFO5s8.jpeg

My chosen path - by chance I had a okay window to Duna. - Its not the one that the optimal position compared to The Kerbal Space Program Δv Map - but I had enough Δv to get it done.

c04mzGb.jpeg

The little probe performing its burn.

nt7fht0.jpeg

Et Vois La! A fly by of Duna. 

KSP2 v.0.2.1.0 

Really nice! Will add your submission in the OP

Great!

@OJT I was considering making a post about my process in the "Mission Repport" section. Where I can go more into detail about my successes and failures.

but I wanted to ask permission first, since I could understand if it would be considered "bad taste" - because it would "split attention" from the actual challenge.

I just want to keep my posts in here to the point. Compared to the more detailed format I use in my mission reports

Edited by BechMeister

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, 

I went for 8. Come Fly with Me. 

I decided to make a super simple plane that would work well on both Kerbin and Duna and fly it back using an interstage for the transfers to and from Duna. Since I don't trust the dV read outs in the VAB I massively overbuilt most of the stages. Oh well. 

Here is an uncut 10x video of my flight, including the mistakes. Enjoy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 5:05 AM, ralanboyle said:

I decided to make a super simple plane that would work well on both Kerbin and Duna and fly it back

Pretty impressive stuff. But Imagine being Jeb sitting in a suit like that for 4 years xD - pretty inspirering stuff though. love the plane.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Challenge 2:

JvdUniy.gif
Probe arriving at Duna.

I completed challenge 2 and 3 in one go - If that is considered cheating I'll just lunch 3 new satellites.  

Done in v.0.2.1.0

Proof of Orbit:

4ijh8Rl.jpeg

See spoiler for detailed walkthrough:

Spoiler

9jK9kL5.jpeg

launched probe in my 2 stage glider.

vQ65Egz.jpeg

Stage separation, Stage 1 returns to KSC. Stage 2 gets into LKO.

sHQinBZ.jpeg

mc0347C.jpeg

Satelite deployed to LKO

pFLPoTL.jpeg

Glider deorbitting.

BfZkPVv.jpeg

the clouds are really nice, even on low graphics.

oTxSCDl.jpeg

Glider back at KSC. Back in space - the probe burns for Duna.

FqjcPce.jpeg

vKYJzHf.jpeg
Break burn at Duna. Orbit achived.

Challenge 3:

The probe from Challenge 2 functioned as a probe carrier for the CommNetwork mentioned in challenge 3.

Proof of CommNet around Duna:

3x long range antenna Molniya Satelites.

RTLi67O.gif

6x Short range antenna cube satelites + the drone carrier:

3muinIq.gif

See spoiler for detailed walkthrough of this leg:

Spoiler

jce3V8Z.jpeg

First Molniya Satelite seperating from the drone carrier and burning to a 100.000m circular orbit.

IWP0mT2.jpeg

Drone carrier succesfully deploying 3 Molniya Satelites into a 100.000m circular orbit with ~120° between them.

jtxM5nL.jpeg

Probes perform a 60° inclination burn - Using Ike as the reference point for the degrees 

j8iTTYp.jpeg

First of 3 satelites to reach the correct orbit. Soon the 3 others would be in their ideal orbit - and it was time to launch the cube sats.

bOJUeXO.jpeg

First cube sat launched

after 4 more launches - it was time to launch the last:

ukk2Yr6.jpeg

I then proceeded to burn the drone carrier into a ~200.000m circular orbit - so it would not interfere with the other satelites:

RzhuFYx.jpeg

If it is considered cheating to launch Challenge 3 with Challenge 2 - I'll just launch more satelites. 

For the very detailed walkthrough - See here:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/224623-duna-mastery-challenge-companion-report/?do=findComment&comment=4386751

Edited by BechMeister

Challenge 3 completed:

Here is a screenshot of my tiny lander on the surface of Duna: 
Qz0Znlo.jpeg

Challenge 3 complete

Version: 0.2.1.0

It was quite a fun challenge to make a lander that would fit within the small cargo hold of my glider:

hjCaZ7Y.jpeg

The vehicle made its way to Duna - I was a little bit challenged by passing through Ike's SOI - but I still managed to get a path with a PE of 4km - I was affraid that a PE hitting the planet would be dangerous as I did not know how well you Aerobreak in Dunas surface - And I didnt want to deploy the farings and chute before the vehicle was slow enough that it didnt have flames traling of it.

VCgvf2l.jpeg

Here the "capsule" enters the atmosphere and the transfer stage is decoupled.

VDSw6EI.jpeg

once slowed down the faring was decoupled.

Mcaecfn.jpeg

I had a drogue chute to help steer the lander down, and 4 tiny engines to break the fall - they also double as landing legs. 

Y1jYiWo.jpeg

et vois la!

Edited by BechMeister