Electric Charge Not Draining

KaitoSSB

I launched a satellite into orbit around Kerbin and noticed that despite having no solar panels or RTGs attached, the EC in the resources panel is not draining at all. Here is a screenshot for evidence. I noticed the same with other rockets, but weren't able to grab a screenshot during those launches. I did timewarp ahead during the mission, but then let the game sit for a few minutes in normal time with the craft being flown with no change in EC levels.

FqGJaBpWIAAw3b0?format=jpg&name=large

I have also noticed this on a Mun Land and Return mission, using only the small capsule as my source of EC. Maybe engine alternators were keeping it alive, but did not track with KSP1 expectations. I’ll try and add screenshots later. 

KSP Version: 0.1.0.0.20892
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K CPU @ 5.2GHz
RAM:       32.0 GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5
Display:   NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X

The same is happening to me. I plugged a reaction wheel to my craft and it is not draining anything. But I know the reaction wheel is working because I disabled torque from the cockpit and the ship is rotating pretty fast for its size.

Yeah I noticed oddities with EC usage on launch day but it’s been way low on my radar. 

I have run into circumstances where I’ve run out of electricity though - I had a booster stage time warping to a maneuver node on the night side of Kerbin and couldn’t make the maneuver because batteries were dead. I had left SAS engaged pointing prograde, and the vessel had a large control/reaction wheel unit installed. During time warp behind the planet, with solar panels eclipsed, the batteries did drain. 

However, with just a command pod or small probe, I’ve yet to see any significan EC usage. 

On 3/8/2023 at 6:42 AM, MehJeb said:

may it be that you activated "infinite propellant" option when creating  a new game?

I think mine EC was draining, I'll check and post here when I get into KSP2

Yeah I double checked my settings and even opened mid flight to make sure and infinite propellant and infinite EC were both turned off. Dunno if it's because I just had the small probes/command pods vs trying the larger pods but interesting to see nonetheless.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:58 AM, LameLefty said:

Yeah I noticed oddities with EC usage on launch day but it’s been way low on my radar. 

I have run into circumstances where I’ve run out of electricity though - I had a booster stage time warping to a maneuver node on the night side of Kerbin and couldn’t make the maneuver because batteries were dead. I had left SAS engaged pointing prograde, and the vessel had a large control/reaction wheel unit installed. During time warp behind the planet, with solar panels eclipsed, the batteries did drain. 

However, with just a command pod or small probe, I’ve yet to see any significan EC usage. 

I'll have to try other command capsules/other parts but it may just be small probes and the Mk1 pod since that's all I've used so far for my space missions, not sure but I have seen videos where others EC has been depleting.