Minecraft?

Hellome118

Well there is 1.8.1, which fixes a couple of crashes. Other than that, not much. I'm actually rather reluctant to even play the 1.8, since it's only half of the Adventure Update. It has villages but no NPCs in them, it has new terrain features but they just cut through each other indiscriminately, so you sometimes get a village that for no reason has a huge ravine in the middle with some lava in it. It feels very unfinished, which I guess is because it is.

Well he mainly released it just to hold over people till 1.9 which might be the final update before the he releases the game as complete. It has enough to satisfy people who are craving for new things who don't want to mod. I, myself, like the bow and chest animations but the terrain generation is kinda buggy and plus there are no more Far lands and now endless oceans. I hate the new lighting personally, it makes my house looks weird since it's all smooth stone. But it now runs smoothly with the proper settings.

2011-09-19_234242.png

My house, Smooth Stone City

P.S. Anyone having lighting glitches on chests?

I haven't uninstall my mods yet but I have tested 1.8 and it's buggy as hell and FPS for me even on short is like 15 compared to have 30+ in normal in 1.7.3. I guess I can upgrade tonight though.

Strange as I now can play it on my laptop without any special mods.
Well he mainly released it just to hold over people till 1.9 which might be the final update before the he releases the game as complete
Ages ago he already told he would do crap like expansion packs.

Well he mainly released it just to hold over people till 1.9 which might be the final update before the he releases the game as complete. It has enough to satisfy people who are craving for new things who don\'t want to mod. I, myself, like the bow and chest animations but the terrain generation is kinda buggy and plus there are no more Far lands and now endless oceans. I hate the new lighting personally, it makes my house looks weird since it\'s all smooth stone. But it now runs smoothly with the proper settings.

2011-09-19_234242.png

My house, Smooth Stone City

P.S. Anyone having lighting glitches on chests?

All your issues are vindictive of running a 1.7.3 map in 1.8 And as for the lags and bugs I really haven\'t gotten any. Runs fine on my desktop and on 'fast' graphics setting runs fine on my laptop. The terrain gen stills needs some work though, yeah.

Well there is 1.8.1, which fixes a couple of crashes. Other than that, not much. I\'m actually rather reluctant to even play the 1.8, since it\'s only half of the Adventure Update. It has villages but no NPCs in them, it has new terrain features but they just cut through each other indiscriminately, so you sometimes get a village that for no reason has a huge ravine in the middle with some lava in it. It feels very unfinished, which I guess is because it is.

It does feel somewhat unfinished, but it\'s a breath of fresh air from 1.7.3 It almost feels like a different game while playing the survival modes and I actually kind of like that. There are few bugs like rain and doors and terrain, but overall it\'s actually pretty good. The landscapes are larger, mobs more deadly, etc.

It does feel somewhat unfinished, but it\'s a breath of fresh air from 1.7.3 It almost feels like a different game while playing the survival modes and I actually kind of like that. There are few bugs like rain and doors and terrain, but overall it\'s actually pretty good. The landscapes are larger, mobs more deadly, etc.

Yeah. The only thing that really bothers me is that Notch effed up the snow. There is no snow in 1.8, anywhere, ever.

Strange as I now can play it on my laptop without any special mods.

I was uninstalling all Mods I had in 1.8 like single player commands and equivalent exchange.

It runs decently on Fast graphics on normal fog but I still get occasional lag spikes

Yeah. The only thing that really bothers me is that Notch effed up the snow. There is no snow in 1.8, anywhere, ever.

Having no snow is definitely a bummer, Notch get off you lazy ass along with Jeb and fix these little bugs.

Anyway, What kinda of skins do you guys use? I use an Ezio Auditore one.

Guest LoSboccacc

naah terraria was released in 2011. in march 2010, when I bough minecraft, there already was a floating island and an hell option in the terrain generation.

the placing of nether and aether was purely consequential.

Floating islands is way to general an idea to claim someone copied off of someone else. It\'s like complaining that both of these games have trees. Even if Notch did copy of Terraria (notice that if, read it again if you have to) I could say Terraria copied off of the floating islands of Themyscira in DC Comics\' book Wonder Woman. Or did minecraft just copy straight from Marvel then? And what about Marvel? The island is named after the mythological city of Themiscyra, the capital of the Amazon tribe in Greek mythology. And what about the Greeks? Ad infinitum.

I\'m not saying there are no new ideas anymore, I\'m saying it\'s in the fashion you execute an idea that makes the difference, not purely what the idea is. All our ideas are already bound in something else. You can\'t knock someone for loosely making something that they could not control the birth of.

tl;dr If someone made a game about a sky god I wouldn\'t say it\'s copied off of the ancient west african\'s Olodumare.

Actually Notch copied the floating island idea from the Aether mod. Much like, say, the pistons, which unsurprisingly come from the piston mod.

And while we\'re at it, you\'re maligning Minecraft for stealing an idea from Terraria? Seriously? ;P

Guest LoSboccacc

hey, we\'ve already won!

I kid, I kid.

However, I think that the Aether mod was still after the floating island generator, and after the sky dimension was found in the 1.6 beta.

Even if Notch got the Floating Island from Terraria that just one idea out of the many that notch has implemented. Anyway if people didn\'t copy and build upon other people\'s work we would go nowhere. One prime example is the US copying German military tech, which they seized, after WWII but they improved upon it also.

Guest LoSboccacc

the first time sky dimension appeared was in the 1.6.4 beta, on may. the first aether preview was on july. you should give more substance to your claim.

I don\'t like the fact that Endermen pick up any block, including player-placed, obsidian, and bedrock.

They\'ll be limited to only a handful of block types in 1.9.

Personally I wish they either didn\'t pick up any at all, or did so with some kind of purpose. Like if they actually used the blocks to build something. But just randomly moving stuff around, that\'s not cool.

I don\'t like the fact that Endermen pick up any block, including player-placed, obsidian, and bedrock.

I just run a server at home so I can use server mods to disable that, the added bonus is that I can work on the same level on my laptop and then hop to my desktop and play from that point.

Seems to me, that\'s part of the survival game. It would also be nice if creepers didn\'t blow up your work, but you can always rebuild it back, and if you had a 3x3 shack, you can always just build it better.

It\'s not that at all, I don\'t have any problem securing my structures against Endermen (mostly because I build primarily underground, with only a small, easily repaired structure on the surface as an entry point). But when I\'m wandering through wilderness where I\'ve never been before and see trees hovering in the air because an enderman removed a portion of the trunk, that\'s just ridiculous. I\'ve played on a bunch of SMP servers and the rules pretty much always go: '1. Don\'t destroy other people\'s stuff. 2. Don\'t leave tree canopies floating in the air.' It\'s almost as if Notch made the endermen to troll people. You can\'t get away from the floating trees even in SSP now.

Another important difference between creepers and endermen is that creepers only explode near you, and only when you\'re careless and let one get close. In other words, their destructive effect punishes you for being sloppy. But there\'s nothing you can do to stop endermen making a mess of the whole world no matter how hard you try. Yeah, sure, you can always rebuild and fix stuff. But what kind of argument is that? Do you find fixing randomly broken stuff fun? Imagine if Blizzard put a mechanic into one of their games (Diablo, WoW, whatever) whereby one of your items would randomly disappear once in a while. By your logic, that shouldn\'t make it any less fun. You can always find another one, right? Well no, I don\'t think people would stand for that, and with endermen it\'s exactly the same thing. I for one am very happy to see them nerfed considerably.

Like I said, I think they\'d be much more interesting if they actually built stuff. Nothing complicated, just some simple, eerie structures. Like little altars in the forests, for example. Stone circles. That kind of thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.