Stuck Directional Keys - Input Frozen/Blocking/Queing/Lagging

Davidian1024

Really happy KSP2 has finally been made available. Posting this because I just want to help out if I can.

At this point I'm certain that I'm experiencing this all the time.  I especially notice it when the simulation seems to be especially strained.  For example: when I'm trying to fly an SSTO with a lot of rapiers through the lower atmosphere of Kerbin.  But even when the game is very responsive I still see this to some extent.

At times I need to hold a directional key down for a while.  I find that when I release the key, the game doesn't immediately notice the release.  It behaves as if I'm still holding the button down.  It will eventually realize that I've released the key.  The amount of time it gets stuck seems to be proportional to the amount of time I had initially been holding the key down.

I further observe that there is a memory aspect or queuing behavior that accompanies this.  During the time while the game still thinks I'm holding the key down, it seems to be recording any key press/releases in a queue or something.  Once it realizes that the key had been released all my key presses during that time are executed in the order I performed them.

For example, when I need to hold S to "pull back on the stick" for while while I'm attempting to get my plane to pitch up.  Once I release S the game behaves as if the key is still being held down, and the plane will keep pitching further and further up.

While the game is in the state where it's ignoring my keyboard input...
...it seems to be all keyboard input. This includes keys like escape.
...Other input doesn't seem affected. The mouse keeps working as normal. This can be particularly odd. For example: Walking somewhere as a Kerbal involves me holding W to walk forward for a long time. It will get into a state where it thinks I'm still pressing W and so it will keep walking my Kerbal forward. And yet I can still steer the Kerbal with the mouse.

KSP Version: 0.1.0.0.20892
Operating System and version: Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
CPU and GPU models, any other system information which could be relevant
- AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
- NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] (rev a1)
Description of the bug: see above
- Expected Behavior: see above
- Observed Behavior: see above
Steps to Replicate: see above
Fixes / Workarounds (if known..)
- The only workaround I have is to avoid holding a key down for too long.  This only works so well.
A list of ALL mods.  If the list is long, please consider using a spoiler window.
- No mods.
Other Notes / Screenshots / Log Files (if possible..)

Edited by Anth12
Updating Title

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to mention that I'm still seeing this behavior after the 0.1.1 patch.  I do notice that when the performance is better this is less of an issue.  There are times when the framerate is at it's highest and the issue seems to be gone.  Unfortunately that seems to be rare.

I have a little more info on this issue.  A workaround, for when walking around as a Kerbal.

It seems that I can prevent the direction from becoming stuck by jumping.

If I jump just after starting walking, and also keep holding the direction, I can later release the directional key and the Kerbal stops immediately,

This was true even while I was in a situation where the game was running at a rather low framerate.  Just above 13 FPS.

I further explored this.

I was able to get a direction to become stuck, and then later unstick it.

I started by holding W to walk forward.  After about 10 steps I pressed space.  The kerbal did not immediately jump.  About 10-15 steps after pressing space he did.  Then I kept holding W for about 10 more steps.  Then when I  released W he stopped immediately.

After doing this for a while with the different directional keys, I can tell that it's sort of specific to each key.  Once a directional key is released and then pressed again, it starts accumulating "stuckness" until i release it or press space.

• 4 weeks later...

Valve released Proton 8.0 recently.  I'm able to get the game to run under this new version of Proton, but unfortunately this bug is still present.

Are there any Linux users who don't seem to have this issue?  If so, can you provide the specifics of your setup?  Distro?  Kernel Version?  Proton or Wine Version?

I'm also curious to know if anyone on Windows is seeing this behavior.  I'm suspecting this is an issue that affects some Unity games under Proton.