J-X4 "Whiplash" engine do not produce thrust (as well as doesn't show exhaust) after air deprived , still drain fuel (Any air breathing engines more than one per craft. problem with air intake components)

cvl4317

KSP Version 0.1.1.0 
Build ID:  10752762
CPU/GPU shouldn't matter: i7-10700K /  RTX3090
Description: 
J-X4 Whiplash  , air breathing , methane engine (bug might persist on similar engine) do not restart after air deprivation. Still consume fuels. 
update edit: any air breathing engines.
Steps to Replicate:
1.  Make craft that has methane only, no oxygen.
2. Use only J-X4 engines (more than one air breathing engines)
3. Climb up at maximum speed until high enough for not enough air (engine status will say methane air deprive?) 
4. Throttle at 0%
5. Dive back to low altitude (showing "air" resources half way, throttle to 100% 
6. Engine status "nominal" , but no thrust. methane is drained.

Can't find workaround yet. manually "deactivate/reactivate" doesn't work. restage the engine and trigger stage doesn't work. 
EDIT, workaround found: Problem is not with the air-breathing engines, but on the air intake components do not provide "AIR" to engines other than the "first" air breathing engines.
Temporary work around is toggling the air input components to disable/enable air intake. 

NO MOD, 100% unmodified
Screenshot showing the engine not producing power , throttle at 82% (tested repeatedly from 0% to 100%) 

mhqI6YA.png

Edited by cvl4317
Workaround found.

On separate test repeating the procedure:
1 of the 2 engines "turn on" but the status still showing nominal at 0.00kN. No real thrust affecting the craft. 

Manual deactivate/activate doesn't change anything,

and re-staging activate the thrust animation of 1 out of 2 engines.

Problems also perceived on J-404 "Panther"

QItdEgz.png

Edited by cvl4317
add more info. test it on J-404

I had a whiplash plane already so I tried this and could not replicate the issue. The Status window shows 0 power, but after returning to atmosphere the plane was capable of climbing and increasing speed. However the Status readout always stayed at 0.00kN.

It may or may not affect. do you mind that you add a parachute as the last stage.  The engine on first stage?  

And i use 2 engines together. I will try to repeat the bug test later using just 1 engine then with more than 2 engines 

WORKAROUND FOUND.

Problem is not with the air-breathing engines, but on the air intake components do not provide "AIR" to engines other than the "first" air breathing engines.
Temporary work around is toggling the air input components to disable/enable air intake. 

Same issue here.
The workaround did not work for me. Fuel suddenly drops to zero, if the engine/air intake returns to working condition, I have no way of knowing. I've only tested this on Whiplash.

Edited by Donkey32