My first attempt at building a Saturn V style rocket and going to the Mun in KSP 2

TheBlackJackal

Good Morning!  So I thought that I would share with you all my trip to the Mun yesterday, and share some photos of that Journey.  

So here, we have the Atlas Mk V on the launch pad (after having to revert back to VAB a few times to get struts put where they were needed, we're ready for the "final launch":lol:)

Spoiler

NdRYrck.jpg
jG2g6l9.jpg
oLmqNWG.jpg

And Liftoff

Spoiler

GyoFw5t.jpg

5NEE8F4.jpg

er6ouJU.jpg

So Far Everything is Nominal.  Just look at those engines going!

Spoiler

HMkvtfp.jpg

BCeFnFD.jpg

24eJVzi.jpg

GmkB5rs.jpg

Still going well! Time for Stage 1 separation and ignition of stage 2 engines.

Spoiler

uOsLzPO.jpg

VAbdlD4.jpg

I removed the Fairings to reveal the Munal module and lander, and doing a burn to circularize my orbit around Kerbin.

Spoiler

FjzWkoi.jpg

aQZckxE.jpg

Now making the maneuver plot and doing the burn towards the Mun. 

Spoiler

KZRVXFL.jpg

^^^ One of the better intersects I've gotten!

pwNutGO.jpg 
^^ I love the mountains detail here

3jMfgiN.jpg

aQZckxE.jpg

^^ Getting ready to burn towards the Mun

Q1Xp6za.jpg

^^ Stage 2 Separation, and ignition of Stage 3 engine.

Everything up to this point has been nominal.  No issues, nothing.  Looks like it's going to be a very uneventful trip other than the hype of landing on the Mun!  We've entered the Mun's SOI and are now making an orbital burn to circularize and prepping for the Munar module and lander rendezvous. 

Spoiler

h4EjeWo.jpg

oMg6hrC.jpg

And the Kraken Strikes.  After successfully docking the Munar Module with the Lander, I go to separate the Lander from Stage 3, and the Panels that I have the legs attached to start shaking uncontrollably and cause an explosion.  This mission has turned into Apollo 13.  It's time to get them home safely.

I detach from the Munar Lander and start my trek back to Kerbin.  

Spoiler

jAeCw8q.jpg

^I didn't get many screen shots of me transferring from the Mun to Kerbin because I was feeling kinda defeated at this point.  

Once the orbit with kerbin is established, I decide to try and do an aerobraking maneuver, something I've never tried before.  Usually I just go straight for a de-orbit burn and land, but I wanted to try the aerobraking method.  Well, I learned that you need to make your periapsis a bit lower, I ended up orbiting about 10x more times, but finally landed.  

Spoiler

P3VKV1K.jpg

0vVIhvT.jpg

FLZS8Ba.jpg

After waiting patiently, I finally hit the re-entry window and began my final descent to Kerbin

Spoiler

1fKx2tk.jpg

2OczhVY.jpg

GmcZEwn.jpg
^^Finally in the lower atmosphere.  Success!

1SH7bbP.jpg
^^Chutes deploy!

PC1uWN9.jpg
^^Chutes extend!  Almost Safe!

aixvAGZ.jpg
lfjUb9d.jpg

^^Splash down and Safe!

Addendum,  I had to make the fairing like that because it was clipping and would not let me make it the way I wanted.  So I know it doesn't look like a traditional Saturn V, but close enough ;) 

Edited by TheBlackJackal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.