Minmus Jolly in an Underpowered Linux Machine.

NewtSoup

My system is as follows:
Core i7-7700
GTX1660Ti  (nVidia 525 Driver )
16gb Ram
Kubuntu 22.04

I am playing KSP2 using Proton Experimental ( Steam Play ) and I want to share my adventures with you.  I took many screenshots, a few of which didn't.  I may well do this mission again in the same vessel for Youtube.
TLDR  I made it to minmus and back and I get the following frame rates:

Kerbal Space Centre 10 to 15 fps

Vehicle Assembly Building  15 to 20 fps

Atmosphere 10 to 15 fps

Low Kerbin Orbit 10 to 15fps

Map  up to 50fps

Minmus Orbit 10 to 15fps

Kerbal Space Centre at night 30-40 fps

View the full Gallery with comments here:  https://imgur.com/gallery/9V6AwsT

GDwXGYy.jpeg

On the Launch Pad. The "Unnamed Vessel" sat proudly. I got 15-20 FPS in the VAB and 10-15 on the launch pad.

76on5ic.jpeg

So I made it to minmus in the normal way. Sorry for the lack of screenshots. Some of them didn't. Suffice to say I got ~15fps in LKO. Up to 50fps on the map screen. 30fps in deep space and about 15fps again around Minmus.

B90iwSF.jpeg

Here I am doing a stepped burn down to Minmus' surface. Framerate is getting towards 10fps.

tvc3IDC.jpeg

Last Little Nudges

y017jpy.jpeg

Did my exit burn from minmus with 170m/s to spare and a PE on Kerbin of 45km.  However on SOI change I found that I was actually in an orbit around Kerbol 
( ; _ ; )#!  I had just enough dV to correct this and got an actual entry into Kerbins Atmosphere with 24m/s to spare ( used up later )

Fk15Yn0.jpeg

Finally on a final descent after aerobraking around Kerbin, I detach from the main part of the craft.

BG4Amxr.jpeg

Parachute! Deploy!

Gu7jyTa.jpeg

It deployed.  However!

J0DLoAt.jpeg

It Took a few attempts to realise that the deploy altitude of 1000m was sea level, not ground level as in KSP1.

WhUsu3Y.jpeg

Finally down in Kerbin's deserts at, yes you guessed it!  10-15fps.

fhz444K.jpeg

The KSC at night gives me a good 35fps!

4HB24P2.jpeg

These are the settings I played on.  I didnt realise that one of them was on high.  Turning terrain detail to minimum gave me another 5-10fps in the dark letting me get over 40fps at the KSC ( in the dark ).

All in all I consider this a huge success.  I feel that in time as performance improvements are made it might actually be playable on my machine.  In patch 1 I was only getting 5fps across the board.  So 10-15 fps across the board is a HUGE improvement.  Personally I can, and will, play it on my system.  Though I understand a lot of people would consider this utterly unplayable.   I say fair enough.  Eventually I will get a new graphics card and for the moment I am pleased that it works as well as it does.

Edited by NewtSoup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.