Add the Ability to Plan an Entire Mission Once in Orbit

When I played KSP1, once I got into orbit I would have a habit of planning nearly my entire mission using maneuver nodes. It was nice to be able to do that especially for more complex missions that required gravity assists or traveled to multiple planets.  Sadly, you're not able to do this in KSP2 due to you not being able to make a new maneuver node if your trajectory goes inside of another bodies SOI until you've completed the maneuver you set up to intercept that planets SOI. This makes making maneuvers beyond your initial escape burn from Kerbin or any other body basically impossible. It would be nice to have this added by either patch 3 or 4.

Update:

You can still do what I described what I described in KSP2 but you need to edit the actual trajectory line rather than the line that appears in the SOI. Being able to put a maneuver node in the SOI of the planet/moon you’re intercepting rather than waiting or editing the other trajectory line would be a good quality of life.

I don't disagree.

I suspect however that due to the 'non impulsive' trajectory calculations etc in KSP2 it is probably more difficult to do with any reliability.  

We do need some way to 'plan/plot' further ahead though, even if it's effectively no more than an illustration of intent.

On 5/2/2023 at 3:59 AM, pandaman said:

I don't disagree.

I suspect however that due to the 'non impulsive' trajectory calculations etc in KSP2 it is probably more difficult to do with any reliability.  

We do need some way to 'plan/plot' further ahead though, even if it's effectively no more than an illustration of intent.

You can do it it’s just that when intercepting a body you can’t edit the line that appears in the SOI, and instead need to edit the actual trajectory line.

Yes, I have been doing that, and it works fairly well, but the ability to work within the new SOI would certainly help.

I think any planning for more than one maneuver ahead could only be 'provisional' in nature due to burn accuracy and other variables .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.