So i think the gravitational constant indicated by planets is wrong.

So i was trying to calculate my thrust to weight ratio (TWR) for Dress compared to the thrust to wait (TWR) on Kerbal. but the numbers just wouldn't add up. Because KSP2 says Kerbal has a g of 1 m/s^2 and that Dress has a gravitational constant of 0.12 m/s^2. I am not a rocket scientist (i will go study it next year tho) so tell me if im wrong with my conclusion. But i think all the gravitational constant indicators are all off by x0.1. bc the stats just dont work when you calculate them with the numbers provided by KSP2. For example the TWR on a 30 ton (30.000 kg) vehicle with a 30 kN (30.000 N) engine is 0.1 (when you look at the TWR in the stats). But if you do that calculation (Thrust/M*g (Weight) = Thrust to Weight Ratio) with the 1 m/s^2 provided by ksp2 the TWR ends up at 30.000/30.000*1 =1, witch goes in against what the stats of my rocket say. Because if the TWR is 0.1 (like the stats of my rocket say) the calculation should be 30.000/30.000*10 = 0.1. So either the gravitational constant is indicated wrong, or the TWR calculation is wrong (or its another factor). Please let me know your feedback on my calculations or if im right or wrong.

12 hours ago, TowerJumper said:

KSP2 says Kerbal has a g of 1 m/s^2

That doesn't look right, surely that should be 10m/s^2. Dres looks like it should be 1.2m/s^2 too. Are you sure they are not ratios, i.e. Kerbin is base at 1 and dres is 0.12 x that?

Earth's G is approx 9.8m/s^2, if Kerbins was 1/10th of that, things would look very different.

The unit label for surface gravity in the tracking station is wrong. It displays m/s^2 but the numbers are in units of standard gravity (g, 9.8 m/s^2). Once you take that into account the numbers are accurate.

Edited by Lyneira

On 6/28/2023 at 8:20 PM, TowerJumper said:

So i was trying to calculate my thrust to weight ratio (TWR) for Dress compared to the thrust to wait (TWR) on Kerbal. but the numbers just wouldn't add up. Because KSP2 says Kerbal has a g of 1 m/s^2 and that Dress has a gravitational constant of 0.12 m/s^2. I am not a rocket scientist (i will go study it next year tho) so tell me if im wrong with my conclusion. But i think all the gravitational constant indicators are all off by x0.1. bc the stats just dont work when you calculate them with the numbers provided by KSP2. For example the TWR on a 30 ton (30.000 kg) vehicle with a 30 kN (30.000 N) engine is 0.1 (when you look at the TWR in the stats). But if you do that calculation (Thrust/M*g (Weight) = Thrust to Weight Ratio) with the 1 m/s^2 provided by ksp2 the TWR ends up at 30.000/30.000*1 =1, witch goes in against what the stats of my rocket say. Because if the TWR is 0.1 (like the stats of my rocket say) the calculation should be 30.000/30.000*10 = 0.1. So either the gravitational constant is indicated wrong, or the TWR calculation is wrong (or its another factor). Please let me know your feedback on my calculations or if im right or wrong.

I'm not sure where you're looking. However, one possible source of 0.1x errors to keep an eye out for when you go to (university?) next year is when using kilograms for mass and Newtons for force. 1 kg under 1 Newton accelerates at 0.1g, or ~1m/s2. 

I hope you enjoy your studies, I'm a physics grad and really enjoyed it. Steer clear of condensed matter/crystals though - at least if you're like me! I enjoyed astrophysics so much more (probably because you normally only have to integrate in one dimension rather than three :sticktongue:

Edited by KUAR

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.