Rapid Unplanned Disassembly as soon as the craft loads

CiberX15

Reported Version: v0.1.3.2 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | RAM32 GB

So this problem is probably the biggest hurdle for me getting into KSP 2 right now. Every craft I build that is beyond a simple tube with wings just falls apart on the runway like someone forgot to put the bolts in. 

This is specifically with a craft that is also heavily strutted because I was previously having a problem with the wings tearing off super easily, and the struts seem to do nothing to keep the craft together.

The other weird thing is that it doesn’t always happen. About 70-80% of the time the craft instantly falls apart as soon as it loads on the runway. But the other 20% of the time it loads in fine and I am able to take off. Though parts often start to fall off shortly after launch.

I’ve included the craft file in this bug report. If it behaves the same on your machines as it does mine you should see the bug by simply loading it in the VAB, then launching it on the runway. (Runway 1 fwiw though I can't imagine that mattering?)

If it doesn't repro the issue the first time, fly it for a bit, then revert to VAB and attempt to launch it again. 

Included Attachments:

Missile.json

Edited by Anth12

Hi

I just loaded your craft into my game to test it, and everything is fine. I reverted a couple of times back to launch, back to the VAB, I even started from runway 2, but at no time your ship is falling apart. Have you tried starting a complete new campaign or verified your game data?

Edit:
Maybe you should post this into:

There is a special thread for bugs like yours.

Edited by Snips

Hurm... I was afraid that might be the case. I haven't seen a lot of other people complaining about it so I figured it must not be common but I'm not sure why it would be unique to me.

For what it's worth my standard MO for playing while the game is still very much early access is to start a new campaign after every update. So this campaign was new to this update with no other data in it.

I'll play around and see if I can get a more consistent repro. I'll also take a look at that thread...

44 minutes ago, CiberX15 said:

Hurm... I was afraid that might be the case. I haven't seen a lot of other people complaining about it so I figured it must not be common but I'm not sure why it would be unique to me.

For what it's worth my standard MO for playing while the game is still very much early access is to start a new campaign after every update. So this campaign was new to this update with no other data in it.

I'll play around and see if I can get a more consistent repro. I'll also take a look at that thread...

One of the wings likes falling off, but reverting to launch can counter that issue:
JbjzatZ.png

[Edit: following comment merged with this one]

@CiberX15 It just happened to me with your craft. I will do further testing

Edited by Anth12

I think I might have a 100% repro. Trying to confirm now but it seems to be:

-Launch. 

-Don’t do anything 

-Return to vab

-Launch again

-Ship falls apart on the second launch

OK trying clean…

Hurm no… Doesn’t repro anymore after closing the game and re-opening.

Edited by CiberX15

9 minutes ago, CiberX15 said:

OK trying clean…

Hurm no… Doesn’t repro anymore after closing the game and re-opening.

I am testing at the same time as you.
What you are experiencing is definitely a bug. Its just less consistent than we would like I guess ;)

I... maybe used to work in QA. :wink: I know how these things go. :D I _think_ I might have one that's working from a clean start. I'll pass it on now to save time but I'll also confirm once I know for sure on my end
-Load ship in VAB
-Launch
-Revert to VAB
-Pull engine off
-Put engine back on
-Save
-Launch

Once the bug starts happening it seems way more likely to happen again, and you don't need to save or make changes in the VAB, just revert to VAB and launch. But the bug doesn't appear to start happening until a change is made and saved.

Also the right wing randomly falling off the first time the craft launches seems to be an entirely different thing? And as you said, reverting does fix that one.

Edited by CiberX15

Looking at the ship after it breaks, I don't see any of the struts intact. So it could just be the struts? The wings are pretty big so if it just loads without struts, the first bounce on the landing pad might be shaking the wings lose?

A lot of the craft does stick together. It's mostly the wings that pop off. Sometimes other stuff I think but I can't confirm that.

Edited by CiberX15

3 minutes ago, CiberX15 said:

Looking at the ship after it breaks, I don't see any of the struts intact. So it could just be the struts? The wings are pretty big so if it just loads without struts, the first bounce on the landing pad might be shaking the wings lose?

Looks like the struts are the main cause to me:
Not great that the wings can still fall off like that though (Three of them)
rzwCYMX.png

Edited by Anth12

Ok confirmed this repro on my end. It’s worked 3 out of 3 times from a clean launch each time.

First confirm clean conditions
-Make sure craft is not on runway
-Make sure VAB is empty
-Return to KSC
-Save and exit game

Repro
-Launch game
-Load campaign
-Open VAB
-Load offending ship in VAB
-Launch
-Wing sometimes falls off, if so Revert to launch
-Once ship loads correctly on runway, return to VAB
-Pull the liquid engine off
-Put engine back on
-Overwrite the craft save
-Launch

Confirmed when it loads the second time, the struts are there, but all appear to break the second the craft hits the ground. The wings appear to break off at the same time so I can’t tell if the same event is also breaking the wings, or if the wings are breaking because they can’t support themselves without the struts. (though if that is the case I would consider that an addental bug, that large wings can't support their own weight :rolleyes:

For what it's worth I also tried to make sure the craft was fully loaded in in VAB before making changes, saving or launching. (mostly by waiting for the sound to finish playing). This was to ensure this bug isn’t being caused by some race condition of pulling parts off, saving, or launching, while the craft is still loading. So 90% sure I ruled that out?

I also tried to find shortcuts in the repro, like not saving over the craft, or just pulling the engine off and adding it back and launching. I sometimes got results but nothing is as consistent as the full repro I’ve listed above.

Also interestingly, in the repro above, the wing ALWAYS falls off the first time for me. Which seems like it might be a separate issue but could just as easily be related.:huh:

Edited by CiberX15

Sure I'll try it...

Oh for what it's worth I also confirmed that that first time it loads and the one wing falls off, all the struts are also broken.  So that reinforces your theory that this is mostly a strut issue.

Ok yeah, confirmed. The version you gave me does not repro the issue. Tried 3 times, got zero repros. Then went back and tested mine just in case and confirmed mine still does it. So the copy you sent me does indeed appear to be immune to the issue.

I imagine it's also worth noting that the wing never fell off on the version you gave me. Which implies that it's definitely related to the same bug.

1 minute ago, CiberX15 said:

Ok yeah, confirmed. The version you gave me does not repro the issue. Tried 3 times, got zero repros. Then went back and tested mine just in case and confirmed mine still does it. So the copy you sent me does indeed appear to be immune to the issue.

Awesome. Thanks for testing it for me.
Next I will try to figure out exactly what I did to fix it.

Its rolling weirdly as well. I will get back to you if I can figure out how to stop it (I have a theory)