Kerbal Community Payloads: Kerbalized Space Shuttle Missions in KSP

The Space/Kerbal Transportation System will be a versatile space vehicle that will be capable of shuttling both crew and cargo to and from low Earth orbit. While the Shuttle will make the cost of spaceflight much cheaper, it is imperative for the space program to include both national and international partners in broadening access to space. It will employ a fleet of four orbiters, each with a set of duties to fulfill the dream of expanding into the cosmos.

jBevm1o.png

The premise: This is not an attempt at an alternate history or recreating real missions, instead I'd like to just have fun conceptualizing missions that could be done with the limitations of the Shuttle and its supporting infrastructure. However, I might take inspiration from real-life missions if I find them interesting enough. While many, if not most of the payloads will be created by me, I've always struggled with coming up with unique payloads myself so I'd also like to showcase creative payloads that others within the community have/will have been able to come up with!

rK3nII1.png

KTS-1 sits patiently on the pad for the maiden flight!

Inspired by @Kuiper_Belt's fantastic thread; Shuttle Adventures: An Album of Kerbalized Space Shuttle Missions.

The Mods question: There are too many to list off! However here is the screenshot of the gamedata as of this post.

Spoiler

DZ27jSH.png

Edited by Jay The Amazing Toaster

You might be wondering, "Jay I'd love to participate in this, how can I submit my own payloads!?!?" If you want to submit a payload for me to launch here are the guidelines and rules.

Message me the following:
-List your destination (apoapsis/periapsis, inclination, etc. For simplicity you can also just say "polar" or "geo-stationary") I am playing in KSRSS reborn.
-Make sure the payload can fit in the Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit cargo bay (alongside any desired upper-stage required to meet its destination) There are a few upper stages that are available to help get your payload to further out destinations. However, this can cut into your payload bay volume.
-Submissions can be made through uploading craft to KerbalX and messaging me the link here on the forums.
-Must use parts from the allowed mods

Allowed Mods:
Stock/Restock and Restock+
Starstro Space Systems
Shuttle Payload Delivery Systems
Spacedust
Scansat
Habtech
NFEX
NFS 
This is the tricky one but I also allow parts from Bluedog Design Bureau's Probe expansion folder and the Apollo folder.

Upper Stages Available:
PAM-D
IUS
Shuttle-Centaur

You might also be wondering, "Jay, I'd love to be a Kerbal on a mission!" Good news, we're taking applications! Message me the following:
Name
(Optional) Stupidity/Courage ratio

P.S. I am a busy guy so I can't give firm deadlines on if/when either your payload or your Kerbal will be launched, but I will make an honest attempt!

KTS-1

On a cold winter morning, a revolutionary vehicle sits on the launch pad. Capable of carrying a considerable amount of both crew and cargo, the Space Shuttle represents the next step in space exploration. On the pad today is the first of these vehicles, Space Shuttle Prototype. In the years prior, she was used for five approach and landing tests, in the coming days the Shuttle will have to land from orbit. The crew of two for this mission will embark on one of the most daring journeys ever in history. Unlike crewed-spaceflight vehicles in the past, the first launch will also be the first crewed mission.

6SR73wh.png

VCiIfCq.png

The two brave Kerbals today are the pilot, Jay Kerman, and the engineer, Niko Kerman. 

Botikwh.png

After years of difficult testing, the SSME is finally flight ready and begins ignition for its maiden flight.

ilnzNgP.png

LIFTOFF!!!

hHHXDPq.png

xrIK5Q4.png

mEtMat0.png

KOJDQUU.png

Separation of the two solid rocket motors.

rh8i8E0.png

iGLqqXd.png

Perfect external tank separation, it will be the only disposable element of the Space Shuttle. 

Sn7r1D7.png

With Prototype safely in orbit, she is able to open her cargo bay doors to help radiate heat. In the aft of the payload bay are boxes of various sensors and equipment.

NxWlSHL.png

h57t6UW.png

PzxY5ng.png

U9GzQ2h.png

After several days in space,  Prototype is ready to return to the Earth. It will be the largest vehicle to return and land from space.

ZQ1yjmy.png

ry4TSet.png

With a successful reentry and landing at the KSC, the Space Shuttle has ushered in a new era of spaceflight. One that will hopefully prove to be cheap and cost-effective. After years of testing all components of the vehicle, it has flown flawlessly. While this flight is important, the next flight will be even more significant as it will represent the first reuse of the Space Shuttle.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 9:25 AM, Toaster355 said:

Ooooh I really like the potential this thread holds!!

A Shuttle thread in Jay's style!

If you want to see more of Jay's shuttle works, you should definitely check out Proxima: A Human Exploration of Mars. It's an alternate history timeline (not KSP), and he didn't make it, but he does most of the photos for it. I highly recommend it. It was definitely a major inspiration for my own mission report.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.