When are Kerbals 'in proximity' to sunken craft, when not, and what determines, leaving it, the speed of ascent?

No doubt, the rules on this have changed over game versions, but I'm particularly interested in 1.12 (which is near enough to 1.11, which I play).

This mechanism is important when trying to swim from one craft to another one, very close by, in order to board it.

Kerbals seem to have a loiter-in-a-very-slow-climb mode that is quite annoying if they escape and begin crawling to the surface.  Call that 'crawl' mode.

Then they have a 'shoot' mode in which they rise rather rapidly.

Spoiler

To rescue them early, it is quite a good game to maneuver a rescue craft into their path overhead (either mode/speed) with a deck chair to 'save them from certain death' (from e.g. air supply exhaustion?  :)).

I have built underwater base experiments with e.g. 'verandas' or overhead arches to provide a 'safe zone', but don't really know what I am doing without knowledge of the 'rules'...

Ideas?

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.