Ditch unity and rewrite at unreal engine

On 9/26/2023 at 4:05 PM, Periple said:

Microsoft Flight Simulator has had lots of versions so why not KSP? If they can keep selling updated versions of the game, why wouldn't they? promocodius

Personally, I think that there is a good chance that there will be a KSP 3.

Edited by moonme

Not every game needs another sequel. KSP2, if done right, could be expanded beyond the need for a third game, it's not like it needs to be a trilogy for story reasons or something. 

See: Euro Truck Simulator. There was a "1" once, but it was barebones enough that the devs went for a second one, more modern and technologically advanced. Over the years, a decade now, it became much more than it was 11 years ago and it's still going strong. Chances for a third one are nil, they'd have to pretty much redo everything they built over the years AGAIN. 

Also, let's not forget that Flight Sim is made by a huge studio financed directly by Microsoft. And gets more players than some niche space game with green frogs.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Also, let's not forget that Flight Sim is made by a huge studio financed directly by Microsoft. And gets more players than some niche space game with green frogs.

KSP peak players on Steam until recently was about 6,000. MS Flight Simulator is around 10,000. They're in the same ballpark.

39 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

That's if you completely omit the fact that it had a very successful launch on current gen console and is available in Xbox Gamepass. And the official forums are vastly more active.

I'm not saying they're the same, just that they're in the same ballpark. The hardcore flight sim niche is also a niche. I think KSP has the potential to reach a much bigger audience. 

On 9/20/2023 at 5:06 AM, Gotmachine said:

Aside from the fact that switching from Unity to Unreal would basically mean restarting from scratch and require several years to just come back to where they are now, the whole idea that the game would be better by doing so is questionable at best. [...]

Ooooh the irony... While I agree, given that the game was 5 years in development and what we ended up with, it's hard to argue that they couldn't have switched to UE.

On the 3D front UE games seems to work more performant, and Unity requires C# software here UE requires C++. I agree that this will mainly be an "on paper" issue and not reflect on real world performance for a game like KSP. But still, if there's one argument in favor of Unity for KSP2, it's not “but what about everything we achieved so far.”

Remaking a game... but in Unreal?

Nintendo, Hire This Man!

8 hours ago, The Aziz said:

See: Euro Truck Simulator. There was a "1" once, but it was barebones enough that the devs went for a second one, more modern and technologically advanced. Over the years, a decade now, it became much more than it was 11 years ago and it's still going strong. Chances for a third one are nil, they'd have to pretty much redo everything they built over the years AGAIN.

I would have said the same thing about CK3 until it came out.

Sometimes the cobwebs need shaking out of a game's codebase, which was why I was excited for KSP 2 in the first place (something something monkey's paw).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.