[Help] Any way to switch command modules?

Tired searching for this with no luck sooo...

In my second munar landing, things went a little awry when

<strike>I</strike>

Patwell forget to throttle down while switching stages during descent.

I'd like to modify my current Munar rocket for a rescue mission, but alas it uses a single seat module.

Much to my chagrin I've not figured out a way to switch modules without rebuilding the whole rocket.

Is there anyway short of adding the crew tank part to make this possible? Or am I going to be rebuilding my rocket?

Thanks in advance.

No, I tried that, changing the craft file, it loaded as just the command module with nothing else. There's extra info in each part that apparently ties it to the other parts in the file, like so:

part = Mark1-2Pod_4294887962

Those extra numbers at the end...... I don't know, maybe try to just insert the pod name? I forget exactly what I did. Make a copy of the craft file and try it, you never know. If you get it to work, by all means, post the solution, I'd like to know myself.

Easiest way is to just *add* the new capsule to your existing craft file, instead of trying to replace the existing capsule with a text editor.

For instance:

start a new craft with JUST the new capsule you want to use then save it.

open both .craft files in notepad, and copy the whole PART{} block for the capsule from the new craft, and stick it somewhere in the old one.

Open your craft in KSP and there should be two capsules now.. Your existing ship + the new capsule just floating..

Pull the parts off the old capsule that you want to reuse, and stick them on the new one.

then delete the old capsule.

Easiest way is to just *add* the new capsule to your existing craft file, instead of trying to replace the existing capsule with a text editor.

For instance:

open both .craft files in notepad, and copy the whole PART{} block for the capsule from the new craft, and stick it somewhere in the old one.

Open your craft in KSP and there should be two capsules now.. Your existing ship + the new capsule just floating..

Pull the parts off the old capsule that you want to reuse, and stick them on the new one.

I had thought of trying something like this, never got around to it. Will have to give it a go, thanks.

For instance:

This worked brilliantly!

A note for others, make sure your new capsule is the first part in the list, as that seems to be how the game decides which one you can't delete.

As a follow up patwells situation, hw is no longer stranded on the surface! however he is stuck with his rescuers in lunar orbit >.< I landed 16km away from the original site, and since I didn't figure out that shift controls ascent on a jet pack until afterwords... I pulled off a nice 15km munhop, but burnt through just a little bit too much fuel in the process, I managed a 300km apo before the last of my fuel burnt away.

So for now they are abandoned, but in the mean time Kerbals have successfully landed on Minmus! Ironically using the same design as the rescue lander.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.