FPS drops critically in flight / wing trails in atmosphere are rendered multiple times

Mushylog

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 Installed on ‎29/‎06/‎2022 OS build 19045.3570 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19052.1000.0 | CPU: CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Base speed: 3.40 GHz Sockets: 1 Cores: 4 Logical | GPU: GPU 0 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Driver version: 31.0.15.4601 Driver date: 26/10/2023 DirectX | RAMMemory 32.0 GB DDR3 Speed: 1600 MHz Slots used: 4 of 4 Form factor: DIMM Hardware reserved: 4

Severity: High (FPS progressively drops).

Frequency: High, successfully reproduced the bug.

Description: In flight, the game progressively performs worse. The FPS counter drops. This happens with a specific craft (user @hidearimjosh's plane) but does not happen with a craft (that has wings) created on my own save.

Note: I noticed that the trails the wings leave behind them in atmosphere appear way too bright than usual. They are not as transparent as they commonly are. The craft in question does not have multiple wings clipped into each other. It appears the effect for the wing-trails is rendered multiple times.

Here are some photos of the bug in question:

Spoiler

20231108194716_1.jpg?ex=655e4cf8&is=654b20231108183437_1.jpg?ex=655e3e5d&is=654b

Here is what the trails should look like (with a brand new craft made directly on this save):

20231108195013_1.jpg?ex=655e4d78&is=654b

20231108195017_1.jpg?ex=655e4d78&is=654b

As you can see, the wing trails here are transparent, and I can attest the FPS count was generously optimal, the performance was good.

The save is attached to this report under the name "2023-11-08 maybe FPSbug.json" and the craft on which the FPS drop happens is named "joshsplane"

Included Attachments:

joshsplane.txt

2023-11-08maybeFPSbug.json

Edited by The Space Peacock

5 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: windows 11 pro | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core Processor 3.40 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 | RAM16 GB

when flying around i slowed down with my plane to 60m/s and the vapor trail things at the end of your wings got wider

Included Attachments:

I recently found that time-warping (in atmosphere, aka physics-warp, x2 or x3 time-warp) can undo this visual bug that also affects FPS. It doesn't always undo it right away, going back and forth, (x2, x3, x1, x3 ... etc.), does eventually remove the very thick and bright trails and  brings the FPS to a relatively normal number.

I keep having this issue and it is critical especially with planes, since they do not leave the atmosphere and the wing trails remain. Only rockets, or any craft that goes in space, manages to make the wing trails disappear and restore the FPS count to normal.

Last craft I played with, today, had dropped the FPS count to 0. With 14800 ms/frame. That is pretty bad!

Though I know it is difficult to reproduce this bug, I think the team should allow players, for now, to turn off the wing trails in order to avoid this critical bug.

17 hours ago, Spicat said:

@FluffyHood, merged your bug report because I think it's the same bug.

It looks like it is! These trails are very wide, very opaque, not transparent at all nor smooth like what the normal trails look like.

I wonder, was the FPS count getting lower and lower for @FluffyHood?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.