Srb 101

Greetings.

I'm relatively new to this, but am having a ball. So far I can orbit Kerbin, the Mun, and had a near encounter with one of the planets. I even almost landed on one...almost. There are many great Kerbalnaughts who have given their all for my space program...and a few that will, when their capsules run out of air. I have even managed to get a few of my Kerbalnaughts back to Kerbin. (Do you realize how many things you have to do wrong to escape the Sun's gravitational pull?)

My question: I'm having issues attaching SRBs and having them function correctly. I would like to attach a Solid Rocker (fuel) Booster to my first stage, have them ignite with my first stage, but be able to separate them when the are expended. So far, I've had no luck doing this. I have figured out how to move stuff around on the stage gage while building. I can even use the snap-to and symmetry buttons....I just can't seem to do well with SRBs.

Thanks for any insight you are able to provide.

BTW, I've done numerous forum searches and didn't have much luck finding the information I need.

It is quite simple, once you work out how to think about it.

Imagine a simple ship with a capsule, a fuel tank, and an engine, all in stage zero. Now add a pair of radial separators. That will become stage one. next add your SRBs, they will add as stage two. Then, finally, move the engine from stage zero down to stage two. This will make it activate with the SRBs.

It may help to think of the staging as the activation sequence for the parts, rather than the separation sequence

Or, in short: Make sure that your SRB's and your main engine are in the same, bottom stage. Then make sure that the decouplers for the SRB's are in their own stage just above that one. That way, you'll start the SRB's and engines simulsaneously, and next time you hit space (hopefully after the SRB's have burned out), the SRB's will fall off.

Mr. Rickenbacker, you are spot on. It worked perfectly and very simply as the others have stated. Unfortunately, in my haste to test this new found knowledge I forgot to attach a parachute to my test capsule and another Kerbal gave his life to expand my knowledge. Well, maybe he will save countless other Kerbal souls by his sacrifice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.