Wiki images esp. animations issues

Anaxagoras

The wiki includes some large unwieldy animated GIF files, and doesn't seem capable of handling them well. These days there should be better options.

I noticed this because the article for the Stamp-O-Tron Ground Anchor has a big empty box. Apparently it's been that way for two years. The person who tried to illustrate the less-intuitive way this part is used uploaded a 7.3 MB  GIF, and apparently didn't realize that MediaWiki can't create a "thumb" sized version of large animated GIFs.

Most MediaWiki installations these days would allow replacing GIFs with a vastly more efficient video format e.g. WebM . But the KSP wiki doesn't have a video extension installed (and doesn't allow uploading any video format file).

The wiki does allow uploading WebP files, and browsers have all supported animated WebP since 2020. So I thought I could fix the Stamp-O-Tron article by uploading a correctly-sized animated .webp. But the wiki doesn't seem to recognize that WebP is an image format; doing [[File:foo.webp]] etc just inserts a link to the file rather than including it as an image on the page.

I haven't yet tried seeing whether the wiki correctly handles a static WebP image; my guess is that it doesn't, and that accepting WebP files for upload is currently useless.

I can tell the Wiki hasn't seen a lot of admin maintenance in a while - for instance, one giveaway is the boxes that continue to claim uploading files is broken, though it, must have been working for years. I can tell I shouldn't expect miracles. But I wonder whether the WebP issue might not be a difficult fix.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.