Need Help

Krash Gordan

Hi all, I'm not just a noob, Im a Brand Noob.

I just downloaded the free play test 4 hours ago, to check it out before I commit to the game. ( I know it's only 20 bucks but hey, why buy more frustration)

Anyway in that version I can't get ANYTHING past 10000m without it hitting apogee and nose diving. I've tried every combo in every (limited) configuration and all I can say is after 4 hours I'm ready to wash my hands of the whole thing.

Questions

Altitude does the M at say 10000M mean meters?

What altitude do you need to achieve orbit around Kerbil?

Do you need to go straight up to that level to achieve orbit or do you need to do some crazy ballistic lob that I will never figure out?

What's the best "package" for a successfull mission in the play test mode?

What's the mission of playtest?

MOST important is there a more indepth KPS for dummies relating to the playtest module ( The tutorial is somewhat vague)

This game looks really fun but I have no clue what to do. If I

If I can get through the playtest I KNOW I can talk my wife into letting me buy the game.

She works for a aviation/space industry , David Clark Company. Check em out on the web. They build the Flight suits for the U2 and SR 71 and the NASA space suits.

BTW Felix Baumgartner Jumps from 120000 feet tommorrow ( we hope:cool:) that dude makes extreme look boring.

Thanks

Hi Krash Gordan, welcome to the community :)

There's loads of people here who will help you, from building rockets to getting to orbit, just ask, I'll try to answer a few of these though.

A small m is meters, a big M is Million meters.

You need a periapsis above 69.100m to be outside of the atmosphere.

It helps to pitchover at about 12km to 45 degrees east, then again at 24km to about 25 degrees east, that works for me :)

Oh, and cut your throttle when apoapsis gets over 70km.

Package?

So far there is just the tutorials and the sandbox, you are free to do pretty much what you please.

This might help you.

Have fun, remember, experimentation is key, and it's okay to fail, it's fun dwarf fortress style sometimes :D

Hi Krash Gordan, welcome to the community :)

There's loads of people here who will help you, from building rockets to getting to orbit, just ask, I'll try to answer a few of these though.

A small m is meters, a big M is Million meters.

You need a periapsis above 69.100m to be outside of the atmosphere.

It helps to pitchover at about 12km to 45 degrees east, then again at 24km to about 25 degrees east, that works for me :)

Oh, and cut your throttle when apoapsis gets over 70km.

Package?

So far there is just the tutorials and the sandbox, you are free to do pretty much what you please.

This might help you.

Have fun, remember, experimentation is key, and it's okay to fail, it's fun dwarf fortress style sometimes :D

OK, I figured out how to get the altitude. Now how do I put the capsule in orbit? BTW your "Fortress Style" comment was what did it.

Hi all, I'm not just a noob, Im a Brand Noob.

I just downloaded the free play test 4 hours ago, to check it out before I commit to the game. ( I know it's only 20 bucks but hey, why buy more frustration)

Anyway in that version I can't get ANYTHING past 10000m without it hitting apogee and nose diving. I've tried every combo in every (limited) configuration and all I can say is after 4 hours I'm ready to wash my hands of the whole thing.

Questions

Altitude does the M at say 10000M mean meters?

m is the abbreviation for meters. If the altimeter indicates M, then you might be talking about Million meters, but then you would be pretty high.

What altitude do you need to achieve orbit around Kerbil?

Orbit is not about altitude. It's about speed. If there was no atmosphere, you could orbit the Earth 10m above sea level if you flew fast enough. On the other hand, if you fly straight up 10000 kilometers and run out of speed, you will still be on a suborbital trajectory.

The only reason rockets launch vertically is to get out of the atmosphere as fast as possible. As soon as they can, they tilt sideways so that they can accumulate horizontal speed.

This is a pretty cool video of a shuttle launch seen from an airliner. As you can see, the Space Shuttle follows a parabolic trajectory instead of going straight up:

http://youtu.be/GE_USPTmYXM

Do you need to go straight up to that level to achieve orbit or do you need to do some crazy ballistic lob that I will never figure out?

Anything that goes up and down is on a ballistic trajectory. An orbit is a ballistic trajectory that is perpetually falling down, but is going fast enough to "miss" the ground.

To orbit Kerbin, you need to fly above the atmosphere (70km) and reach a horizontal speed of 2200 or 2300m/s (this can be lower if you are orbiting higher). The typical way of doing this is to progressively tilt your rocket sideways during the launch so that you are going horizontal when you exit the the atmosphere. If you watch the map view (M) as you burn, you will see your ballistic trajectory elongate until it passes over the horizon and effectively goes full circle. When this happens, you have achieved orbit.

Edited by Nibb31