HOTAS/Joystick support

I'm coming back to KSP2 for the For Science update, but I'm rather disappointed to see that the game still doesn't really support HOTAS controls.  You can set a single joystick, but it is very difficult to do and overrides keyboard input.  I know @Nate Simpson mentioned wanting HOTAS support in one of the early interviews, has there been any development progress on that front?  I miss being able to fly my ships with my stick and throttle like in KSP1.

Joystick support would definately be appreciated, but it being a game made in Unity, my experience is that for people with several devices connected it can be a pain.

The game will need to have a proper controls option menu where you can enable or disable devices for example, otherwise menu's will start scrolling on their own because the game picks up input from an axis of one of your devices you might not even want to use.

It happens with a lot of Unity games / Apps. 

So bottomline; joystick support? Yes please! But ONLY if we also get a proper menu system to configure it.

Edited by Yskonyn

8 hours ago, Yskonyn said:

Joystick support would definately be appreciated, but it being a game made in Unity, my experience is that for people with several devices connected it can be a pain.

The game will need to have a proper controls option menu where you can enable or disable devices for example, otherwise menu's will start scrolling on their own because the game picks up input from an axis of one of your devices you might not even want to use.

It happens with a lot of Unity games / Apps. 

So bottomline; joystick support? Yes please! But ONLY if we also get a proper menu system to configure it.

KSP1 had this, why can't KSP2?

11 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

KSP1 had this, why can't KSP2?

I don't think its a matter of technical capability. The engine supports controller/joysticks, so it more a matter of putting dev time into it. I don't think we can gauge how high this is on the to-do list, or if it's on the list at all.

It would be nice to get it, though.

I second this, joystick support for a space and aircraft game is absolutely essential, and shouldn’t be too hard to implement.

roll, pitch, yaw and throttle plus a few buttons for brakes and trim at the least.

Dear Dev team, kindly move basic joystick support to a high (highest?) priority. 

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish there was a way to upvote these posts, because this absolutely needs more visibility. The bug reports area of the forums has a voting system, and I’m sure this would get the necessary visibility if votes were possible. It’s sad to see them neglecting one of the most important features; how I am I supposed to smoothly roll, and coordinate my turn with rudder if every control is a binary on/off? It feels stupid and clunky to fly like that. Maybe since this is bug-adjacent and *was* intended to be a feature, I might post about this later in the bug reports forum. There’s been no news, and it could be years until this is fixed.

2 hours ago, Jen X-1 said:

There’s been no news,

I think that's the most frustrating thing for me, I wish this got a bit of acknowledgement as I still see this as a critical feature. There is supposedly a workaround described here, but I haven't had much luck getting it working properly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 1:33 PM, Radekpl said:

KSP1 also support 6DOF mouse from the begining which is super cool and awesome at docking mode. You have rotation and linear movements available at the same time. Hope the support will be there too.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVD-L-gadbd5y6GlH_K

It is literally the only remaining use for my 6DOF mouse :)
(After seeing no measurable benefit in 3D work).

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I bought the game during the winter sale, but the lack of controller support pretty much instantly snuffed out the desire to play. Which is a huge bummer for me because I was excited to pick it up with the release of For Science!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 11:58 PM, HiHoSilver28 said:

Man, I bought the game during the winter sale, but the lack of controller support pretty much instantly snuffed out the desire to play. Which is a huge bummer for me because I was excited to pick it up with the release of For Science!

same here.  I would play it so much more if I could use my fancy HOTAS.