Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

60 degrees elliptical 1000km / 500km seems to work very good for me. About 21 medium scanners on my probe and it can scan Eve in less than 2 to 3 minutes at 1000x timewarp (or did I do 10000x? not sure...) with 95% coverage excluding the poles (not interested in them). Except from the fact that it looks silly to put 21 scanners on a probe, and it needing a bit more fuel to maneuver, it works fine.

To scan fastest you want to get your scanning probe into a polar orbit (90 degree inclination), switch it on and set it to 4 arrows of fast forward. After a little time you'll notice both poles have been fully scanned, you can now start dropping your orbit inclination back down so it concentrates in the middle areas.

Almost never is 90deg the best inclination for scanning. Ideal for Kerbin is around 78-80deg.

Just FYI for anyone installing Kethane 0.7.5 who also was using the ScaledSpaceDumper.dll. Remember to delete/remove that DLL as the new kethane takes care of it. If you leave it in place the kethane detectors don't work, at least that's the problem I was having until I removed that dll.

I just downloaded the kethane into 0.21.1 and for some reason every time I try to attach a part from Kethane to my craft (any Kethane part) it like attaches but quickly after it unattaches and all of my parts suddenly loose there attach nodes and the game freezes.

Same problem here.

I made a probe with 12 of the bigger Kethane scanners in the hope that it would allow me to scan more area at once, that didn't work like that but when I hit time acceleration I am able to go almost 1000X without gaps. It starts to work my PC hard for some reason, maybe it's trying to calculate whether there is Kethane in the node I'm scanning, so others might be able to scan faster but 1000X is much better than what I was able to do with one scanner.

(if this has already been mentioned sorry for re-posting it, but I can't read 253 forum pages, and the search didn't find anything)

Love the mod and have been using it for some time. Lately I've been running a permadeath series and altered the Kethane converters to produce oxygen. The problem I'm having now is building a small lander can type ship that can fly to a moon, drill for Kethane, and supply itself with O2 and fuel. I fixed part of this issue by changing the weight of the drills (1 ton for a single drill was a bit much), but what I'd really like to see is a set of "small" tools better suited for the smaller converter rather than the mid-range and newly added large drill or an even smaller converter of say 1.5m width. An additional drill made for in-line use rather than side mounted would also be excellent.

Thanks again for a great mod!

Kethane 0.7.6 has been released. The download link on the first post has been updated.

This update contains fixes and API improvements. This update is only compatible with versions 0.6 through 0.7.5.

Changes in this version:

• Detector parts will now only detect Kethane. Mods which define their own resources should include specialized detector parts.
  • KethaneConverter modules now support multiple configurable input and output resources.
  • Implemented a workaround for the stock KSPAddon conflict bug.
  • Fixed an issue where Kethane functions would break when starting a new game.
  • Fixed a potential performance issue on full-map cell refreshes.
  • Added a flag by Dani-Sang.
  • The KethaneWetMassIndicator label text is now configurable.
  • Silenced an exception in ScaledSpaceFix.

Edited by Majiir

Kethane 0.7.6 has been released. The download link on the first post has been updated.

This update contains fixes and API improvements. This update is only compatible with versions 0.6 through 0.7.5.

Changes in this version:

• Detector parts will now only detect Kethane. Mods which define their own resources should include specialized detector parts.
  • KethaneConverter modules now support configurable input and output resources.
  • Implemented a workaround for the stock KSPAddon conflict bug.
  • Fixed an issue where Kethane functions would break when starting a new game.
  • Fixed a potential performance issue on full-map cell refreshes.
  • Added a flag by Dani-Sang.
  • The KethaneWetMassIndicator label text is now configurable.
  • Silenced an exception in ScaledSpaceFix.

Can I ask why the decision was made to remove other resources from the detector? Just curious, not mad.

Can I ask why the decision was made to remove other resources from the detector? Just curious, not mad.

They were initially configured to detect all resources for the benefit of Extraplanetary Launchpads since it didn't have detectors of its own. Making them Kethane-only potentially helps other third-party mods, too. Suppose someone wanted to make a resource that can only be found by scanning very close to the surface, e.g. with a rover or aircraft. If Kethane satellites can quickly discover any resource from orbit, such mods are impossible.

I just downloaded the kethane into 0.21.1 and for some reason every time I try to attach a part from Kethane to my craft (any Kethane part) it like attaches but quickly after it unattaches and all of my parts suddenly loose there attach nodes and the game freezes.

Does anybody know how to fix this bug?

does this update remove existing deposits? it would be quite a setback if my new founded munbase would be dry.

I made it through without it wiping existing deposits...I just took the old kethane folder. Copied settings.cfg and flags from the old into the new root of the gamedata>>kethane folder. and deleted the old one.

Just make a backup of your entire KSP folder before you go. Or someone here may know where the deposits are saved.

How do i make it so i keep my old deposits? i just scanned a perfect spot for a mun base, and i don't want to lose it.

There's info regarding your kethane scans in the persistence file, which is part of your Save folder. The new version shouldn't change that, I don't think.

Um. Er. A bug report. In kethane_1m_converter\part.cfg...

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
Label = Rocket Fuel
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.25
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
LiquidFuel = 0.99
Oxidizer = 0.99
}
}

I am pretty sure the output ratio is in fact wrong. The actual effect of that is that when attempting to convert kethane into liquid fuel and oxidizer with an empty tank, the liquid fuel part of the tank becomes full much earlier than the oxidizer's does, upon which conversion stops. I.e. you end up with extra liquid fuel you have to dump to get more oxidizer -- if you can even dump fuel. People who don't use TAC Fuel Balancer can't.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.