Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Which is the best way to find Kethane? I can't find any!

you have an orbiting probe/craft with a kethane detector in orbit?

optimal orbit before the next version is a polar orbit and leave it running for quite some time and it should detect some kethane.

you have an orbiting probe/craft with a kethane detector in orbit?

optimal orbit before the next version is a polar orbit and leave it running for quite some time and it should detect some kethane.

A true polar orbit is not good for scanning at all. Not now, not ever. It varies depending an altitude, but take Kerbin for example, best scanning orbits are gonna be between 83deg & 87deg inclination. You shouldn't need to leave satellite scanning for 'quite some time'. 15-30min is all it takes to get a very usable map on any body in the game if your doing it right.

Ok, so I have a problem with trying to upgrade to 0.6.1. When I install .05.1 to update the save files as was said here the game completely hangs when it loads up the spacecraft. I try to press return to space center but it does do anything. Does anyone know any fix to this.

Also, when I try to load up a spacecraft to launch that has the drill on it, it doesn't load the spacecraft and freezes again.

Ok, so I have a problem with trying to upgrade to 0.6.1. When I install .05.1 to update the save files as was said here the game completely hangs when it loads up the spacecraft. I try to press return to space center but it does do anything. Does anyone know any fix to this.

Also, when I try to load up a spacecraft to launch that has the drill on it, it doesn't load the spacecraft and freezes again.

Paste from the last time I answered the question with a question, 2 days ago

When you say installed in the right location can you be more specific? Did you unzip all the files and install them in the parts and plugin directories? Or did you follow the instructions and unzip the entire thing into turn game data folder?

Can you stop insisting on posting this every time people mention polar orbits? They're quite obviously referring to an orbit near the Poles rather than the equator. Even a true polar orbit is infinitely more useful for scanning than an equatorial one.

In all fairness, most people don't follow the thread full time and don't know something if they don't see it in the last couple of pages. So a mention of good orbital positioning isn't terrible every once in a while. If some people don't see it they won't know any better.

0.7 is basically done. The map works, scans save, et cetera. (Have I mentioned it works in the tracking station, too?) There was a show-stopping performance issue with the algorithm for finding the closest cell below the vessel, but I spent some time with it today and improved its runtime by a factor of about a hundred.

There's still a pesky cosmetic issue with scene changes, and then there's another little something I want to sneak in. Release will be tonight or tomorrow depending on how much progress I make there.

0.7 is basically done. The map works, scans save, et cetera. (Have I mentioned it works in the tracking station, too?) There was a show-stopping performance issue with the algorithm for finding the closest cell below the vessel, but I spent some time with it today and improved its runtime by a factor of about a hundred.

There's still a pesky cosmetic issue with scene changes, and then there's another little something I want to sneak in. Release will be tonight or tomorrow depending on how much progress I make there.

WOOT!!! Can't wait sir, outstanding job so far!!!

Edited by XbasmanX

Nice! Can't wait to play with it, Majiir! You're the man! Woot woot!

I don't suppose you'll tell us what the secret is? :D(Yeah, didn't think so, lol.)

Amazing, cant wait to start scanning!

The rate that Kethane has been developed recently is simple astounding to me. Thank you again for such amazing work and dedication Majiir :cool:

P.S. still think you should talk Squad into changing your forum name to Majiir Rockefeller

I'll give .7 a try, you said the old code was dumped down the APERTURE Incinerator so...(not exactly)...I hope performance is a bit better.

Performance is probably no better, except for saving deposits (which is probably better since encoding a small array of bytes is a lot quicker than saving a bunch of images). If you have a specific performance problem, let me know and I can do something about it. If you simply observe the entire game slowing down with Kethane installed, you're probably just running out of RAM, and there's nothing I can do about that.

One more question: are deposits now hexagonal is shape or still free form?

For all intents and purposes, they're hexagonal. Technically, the deposits are generated the same way as always. Each hex looks at the very center and checks if there's a deposit there (using the old polygon system) and if so, the entire hex counts as part of that deposit.

I figured, new map, new satellite!!!

I present the ScanerDrillThingamajig 9000:

JPFzBhR.png

I'm unsure of ability yet, gonna wait to turn it on till 0.7 hits. If new scanning is close to current scanning I'd estimate this will get about 30-38% loss of per pass resolution at x1000, maybe a bit more...we shall see!

Kethane 0.7 has been released. The download link on the first post has been updated.

This update completely replaces the scan map system and makes other scanning improvements.

This update is only compatible with versions 0.5.1 and later. See the 0.6 release notes for information about upgrading from 0.5. Scan maps from earlier versions are not compatible with this update and will be ignored. Deposits will remain intact.

Changes in this version:

• Replaced the rectangular scan map with a geodesic grid overlay. The overlay is visible in the map view and in the tracking station. Mousing over cells will show a window with that cell's center coordinates and a list of resources present in that cell.
  • Scan data is now stored along with deposit quantities in the persistence folder.
  • Saved maps indicate whether a cell has been scanned, so maps will automatically update (on scene reload) when deposit quantities change.
  • Detectors no longer scan cells that have already been scanned. This means multiple detectors won't clobber each other, and detectors passing over partially scanned terrain won't make redundant scans.
  • Removed the random variance on detector scan times.
  • Moved the resource selector UI to the map view.
  • Moved the scan sound toggle to the detector context menu.
  • Added a toggle action for the generator.
  • Fixed a major performance issue with the KE-X270 gas particles.
  • The KethaneParticleEmitter module now supports particle colliders.
  • Fixed an issue where converters would spam the output log with errors if no fuel tanks were attached. Thanks SpiritOffice for the patch.
  • Removed Kethane deposits from Jool and Kerbol (the star).
  • Detector sounds are now loaded through GameDatabase.

Edited by Majiir

This is almost to much! Those sneak peak pics did not convey how awesome it is to watch your sat do the scan!

Also keep your eyes open, the map overlay is visible on the game menu screen around Kerbin.

Amazing work as always Majiir!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.