"Ground" altitude reads lower than "Sea" altitude while over ocean

WhereAreTheBathrooms

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 | RAM32978 MB

Severity: Medium, could conceivably cause disaster but hasn't for me so far

Frequency: low? so far? I've only noticed it once but I've also only looked properly at the altimeter once, so it could be happening all the time for all I know

Description: See in the attached video, while my craft is orbiting above Kerbin's seas, I expect to see ground and sea altimeter display the same value, the craft's height above sea level, or, alternatively, the ground altimeter should show a higher value than the sea altimeter, reflecting the craft's height above the sea floor (would be weird but at least makes sense). Instead I see the ground altimeter displaying a lower number than the sea altimeter, suggesting I am above ground - judging by the way it rises and then falls, hilly or mountainous ground. However you can see my craft is orbiting above the ocean, so this doesn't make sense. Am I being dense and missing something obvious?

Included Attachments:

Edited by Spicat

• 2 weeks later...

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER | RAM24.0 GB

While orbiting Kerbin, the ground-relative altitude displays a lower value than sea-relative altitude while the craft is obviously over open ocean, implying that the craft is closer to the ground than to the ocean surface. I think the seafloor's terrain altitude is being treated as positive instead of negative.

Sea elevation displays 71827 m:

cWh3DPR.jpg

Ground elevation displays 70095 m at the same instant:

JepvURB.jpg

Often the ground elevation will even display values below 70 km even though the craft is totally in space.

Edited by The Space Peacock

If this is reading distance from the seafloor, I feel like this might actually be useful behavior? I'm imagining it could be good for submersibles, etc, knowing distance from seafloor. Maybe if the UI highlighted it better.

3 hours ago, BlackholeKS said:

If this is reading distance from the seafloor, I feel like this might actually be useful behavior? I'm imagining it could be good for submersibles, etc, knowing distance from seafloor. Maybe if the UI highlighted it better.

I believe it is, it's just doing it backwards.