Much higher FPS occurs when VSYNC is turned on in-game instead of turned off.

MechBFP

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) | GPU: Geforce GTX 1070TI | RAM16GB

I took a rocket and landed it in the ocean. I then went to the video settings and noticed that if i change the VSYNC setting my FPS significantly changes, but not how you would normally expect for a VSYNC setting.

Note I have a 144HZ GSYNC compatible monitor and it is configured to use GSYNC. I run the game in full screen mode.

When I have VSYNC off I average an FPS of 66 FPS in this scenario.

When I have VSYNC on I average an FPS of 80FPS in this exact same scenario.

Turning VSYNC on and off repeatedly reproduces this behavior 100% of the time.

This is a significant difference and turning on VSYNC should not be causing this large of a performance increase.

Included Attachments:

vsyncon.png.7ae1e6fa37ab0c7a17cdd7768fce

I tried with my RX 7900 XTX with a AMD FreeSync monitor 165Hz and I don't have any difference, same fps with and without vsync.

Maybe the NVIDIA GSYNC is working better than AMD FreeSync ?

If it's working for you (and some others users maybe ?) it's a good point ! :)

Edited by Niko_Dragovich

1 hour ago, Niko_Dragovich said:

I tried with my RX 7900 XTX with a AMD FreeSync monitor 165Hz and I don't have any difference, same fps with and without vsync.

Maybe the NVIDIA GSYNC is working better than AMD FreeSync ?

If it's working for you (and some others users maybe ?) it's a good point ! :)

Make sure you don't have VSYNC enabled or disabled by default in your graphics control panel (either globally or specifically for the game), otherwise the in game setting won't do anything. It should be set to "Use the 3d application setting" or "application controlled".

Edited by MechBFP

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Make sure you don't have VSYNC enabled or disabled by default in your graphics control panel (either globally or specifically for the game), otherwise the in game setting won't do anything. It should be set to "Use the 3d application setting" or "application controlled".

VSYNC is correctly adjusted in my graphics control panel.

VSYNC work fine for me in game. When I'm in the water, I'm at 130fps with and without VSYNC and when I'm in the VAB, I'm at 180fps without and 165fps (Because 165hz monitor) with VSYNC active.

13 minutes ago, Niko_Dragovich said:

VSYNC is correctly adjusted in my graphics control panel.

VSYNC work fine for me in game. When I'm in the water, I'm at 130fps with and without VSYNC and when I'm in the VAB, I'm at 180fps without and 165fps (Because 165hz monitor) with VSYNC active.

Good to know. At that high of an FPS you are likely CPU bound, not GPU bound, so that would make sense. Alternatively AMD cards don’t have the same issue.