Watermel00n's various assorted mini-posts

Watermel00n

So one day, I was reading about the Von Braun Ferry rocket and how it was built based on the calculations of the inefficient rocket engines of the 1950's. So I thought: why don't I try doing this in KSP? Little did I know...

Swivel Space Program: A Low Tech Journey to Glory (or insanity)

So of course, I got to making the patches to make it happen. It's probes and planes first, then rockets... I also added a bunch of funny patches making use of some unloved engines.

Basically all the engines I get to use are: Reliant, Swivel, Thud, All MK1 and below SRBs, Nerv and Jets (the rapier is excluded). I also made engine plates unlock earlier for ease of building engine clusters as well as using KCT with twice the usual wait time to spice it up. Furthermore, I threw in USI Life Support for more interesting stuff. (Note: Swivel gets are little rebalance for more vacuum usage)

Now we all start from somewhere...

g5BWLRP.png

The Silo 1 is a small three Flea-powered rocket surgery hopper probe. Still, It took us like 25 days to build this trash can of boom boom. Cool, now what?

bTvQEDV.png

ORFcRUA.png

This is the Silo 2, a massive upgrade from the first one. Featuring the engine we're gonna use for most of this series: our friend Swivel!

NbxyhZj.png

7lDMVBH.png

Silo 2 reaches orbit successfully...

5lGIsAe.png

zTtiheX.png

And makes it back too!

(dont worry guys, rockball will not be ending, but I made so much progress there that I got sick of having to update the mission report...)

Edited by Watermel00n

One lazy timeskip later:

sFYFdQw.png

TV Kerb: Welcome to the very first launch of a kerbal to orbit aboard Silo 8! How do you feel Jeb?

Jeb: Fine. How about you?

TV Kerb: Weird. No one ever asks me that. Anyway, let's proceed with the launch!

vQ87SNJ.png

TV Kerb: Liftoff! Good luck Jeb!

ItCulqO.png

Jeb: Uh mission control? I think something exploded!

Gene: You are missing a SRB! Abort Abort!

Jeb: Nah.

Gene: What do you mean "Nah"? You won't make it!

gwdYEwU.png

Jeb: I think I have enough extra fuel though...

TV Kerb: How thoughtful and festive! Fireworks!

BiXcFgN.png

ptH0WsB.png

Jeb: Starting orbital engine...

Y3owdxx.png

Jeb: Ack, a few m/s short.

Gene: Oops.

qn4zBya.png

Gene: Well at least you reached space!

Jeb: When are the rescue planes coming?

Gene: You might have to do a little camping...

Spoiler

TL;DR - I installed EVA Repairs

Edited by Watermel00n

• 2 weeks later...

My Attempt at the Asymmetric Aircraft Challenge!

Spoiler

WgRGnb2.png

xsBLBm7.png

noCh1PL.png

With a maximum crew count of 58 (57 since you can't directly put kerbals in the inflatable airlock), the Asymmetric Airliner uses all crewed parts together with a Panther, Juno, Wheesley and Goliath.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.