Depth does not change how water looks

This is a graphical issue bug not 100% sure if it is a bug or an oversight though, please let me know.

Currently in ksp 2 when you go into water there are special affects to audio and visuals, but as you go deeper that doesn't change as it would in real life and how it would in real life. In real life as objects get deeper into a liquid substance, light gets absorbed more and more into that substance, and also that substance gets denser due to pressure. The image shows how a torch deep underwater looks - illuminating what is ahead of it in a cone, but the environment is otherwise dark as the environment is not getting light from the sun.

In ksp2, no matter how deep you go the environment, and your craft, is the same brightness, and lights (floodlights and otherwise) do not get the water-based light scattering that happens not only in real life but also in ksp 1 (with scatterer). This is disconcerting, and takes away from the creepiness and the coolness of deep water that was in ksp 1 when using buoyancy, especially since ksp 2 has awesome SFX for being deep underwater. This happens in every version of the game, tested on multiple computers. Example mage shows environment (from CVUSMO on discord) deep underwater past where any light should be seen without light generation, but no change happens to how water and the craft/terrain look. Finally also solar panels work perfectly fine within bodies of liquid underwater, when irl and in ksp 1 they wouldn't work as light would not reach them. This would also incentivize putting RTG's on your subs -  a cool design challenge!

Also more stuff underwater would be neat.

Included Attachments:

SPOILER_underwater.webp.58784a1888797f351ab4214d6005ecbf.webp

Screenshot2024-01-09195843.png.f14f609ea3b2d4211738a6e3df01f1b7.png

Edited by DibzNr

I imagine this is more of a "not yet implemented" case than anything else. Especially considering the devs have improved buoyancy, added underwater science experiment and are planning to add more planets with body of liquids in the other star systems.

But I agree this would be really nice to have.

If I can had a suggestion, it seems to me that doing an "underwater update" would be a good opportunity to add a "pressure" model like the heating / temperature one we have now for parts, and it could even be reused outside of bodies of liquid like on the surface of Eve, or deeper Jool layers. This would add a lot of opportunities for interesting engineering challenges and missions.

Edited by pg17
grammar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.