[WIP] KerbX - A SpaceX analogue for KSP

Borklund

Here's the regular Merlin 1D that's going on the Falcon 9 v1.1 (almost completed):

40lfipg.jpg

v0.3 will offer a single Merlin 1D as a standalone engine for more versatility. Here are nine of them (hastily thrown together) arranged in the Falcon 9 v1.1 octoweb pattern:

M7ZWSKp.jpg

The middle one looks like it's protruding a little bit more than the rest, is that the same on the real 1.1 or?

It's the same on the real v1.1, yes. It was speculated to be the case since the v1.1 made its first appearance in an Iridium brochure and then confirmed when Elon Musk tweeted the picture in Ipam's post.

What's wrong with them? I think they look decent.

They do look good but they can always look better. For one, the panels are too shiny and the shininess is entirely too even. It'll look even better when The Stinger has done a second pass on them. That's what he's focused on right now, a second pass of the Dragon's textures, while I work on the new models.

Well if you want it to look better I don't think anyone will disagree! I just thought they looked good already, lol. Can't wait, I love the ease, functionality and spot on look of your Falcon 9/Dragon. You, Bobcat/Team, and Lionhead/Yogui make KSP everything it is for me.

Edited by Good_Apollo

If you listen to the guys talking at the end they say "It fell apart" and "Everything here is ****". This was meant to be a 3 minute test and on the previous test (also aborted) they had to repair the combustion chamber of one of the engines.

All the sources for this is behind the paywall that is L2 on NSF so I cant really link it.

They are making progress, just a little slower than they would like.

ask them why they took such a big risk to end 1.0 before they launched a 1.1 and are behind on it and how they feel that will end up with the 1.1 tests always ending in aborts.

Ok, I'll make note of that. The tour doesn't look like it will work out today, probably end of this week or next week. My "in" is my friend's roomate, this is the SpaceX employee that edited and uploaded the Ring of Fire grasshopper video.

That's great news. Does anyone know if there is a planned "stop" altitude or flight time for grasshopper? Or is SpaceX going to then switch to using each falcon 9 from the launch in july onward as their primary test beds?