Is there an easy way to change textures on stock parts?

minerbat

I am not sure where to ask this. I want to change the textures on a stock part  for a video (specifically the making history structural panels). is there an (easy) way to do this? It shouldnt change the part in any other way so that i can load an already existing build with the new texture (in the same way that stock builds can be loaded with restock). I have used custom flags for similar purposes in the past, but that isnt sufficient this time

Edited by minerbat

• you can recolour using part variants, there are a couple of posts on the forum on that talk about that. 
  • in the past you could assign a different texture in the model section, I've not been able to get that to work sinds 1.7
  • texture replacer might be able to do this for you
  • I just edit the textures in place ..... dds2png (xnconvert) then photoshop and then back.

Depends how you want to change the texture.

The Conformal Decals mod gives a better "flag" based painting option than the stock flags, but uses added parts which prevent the craft from being loaded if the mod is not present. This is the simplest and most flexible way to add multiple markings and custom text to craft (e.g. ID numbers). Example:

Spoiler

yhsNG7j.jpg

For a simple single solid colour on a part the easiest way is to use TexturesUnlimited and TURD

If you want something more complicated then you can leverage the existing variants system on the parts:

• make a copy of the default texture atlas (located at GameData/SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/Structural/Assets/Panels.dds),
  • open it in a paint package and then save the modified texture into your own folder inside GameData (I use ZZZ_Custom/Textures in the example here).
  • Add a ModuleManager configuration file. The below example shows two simple variants - red and blue - each of which only changes the colour map and reuses the stock bump map:
    Spoiler
    @PART[Panel*,EquiTriangle*,Triangle*]:HAS[#author[RoverDude]]:FINAL
    {
    	@MODULE[ModulePartVariants]
    	{
    		VARIANT
    		{
    			name = Blue
    			displayName = Blue
    			themeName = Blue
    			primaryColor = #000099

TEXTURE
    			{
    				shader=KSP/Bumped
    				mainTextureURL = ZZZ_Custom/Textures/Panels_Blue_D
    				color = #000099
    				_BumpMap=SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/Structural/Assets/NormalMap
    				_Opacity= 1.0
    				_RimFalloff= 0.1
    			}
    		}
    		VARIANT
    		{
    			name = Red
    			displayName = Red
    			themeName = Red
    			primaryColor = #990000

TEXTURE
    			{
    				shader=KSP/Bumped
    				mainTextureURL = ZZZ_Custom/Textures/Panels_Red_D
    				color = #990000
    				_BumpMap=SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Parts/Structural/Assets/NormalMap
    				_Opacity= 1.0
    				_RimFalloff= 0.1
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }

• Select the new part variant when building the craft in the editor inside KSP
Spoiler

6VyxOI1.png

Any craft built using repainted panels with either method can be loaded into a pure stock version of the game and will just appear with the default white colour variant for the panels. Panels repainted using TexturesUnlimited will also cause a warning about missing modules to be displayed, but this is safely ignorable.

Spoiler

1ReGtCo.png