Kerbal Graveyard

Most Famous Kerbal  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One!

• Jebediah Kerman
    • Valentina Kerman

i suppose you mean your most memorable kerbal death?

well, i built a memorial for val during a caveman career

On 1/13/2022 at 3:28 PM, king of nowhere said:

Part 8: Ad memoriam (and updates)

I make a memorial for Valentina. Meanwhile, construction of the Navis Sideralis Neanderthalensis proceeds and a fifth kerbonaut is hired.

Ever since Val crashed, I've been wanting to leave some kind of memorial. I finally decided on it. So I built a statue; for its pose, I called it the Valentina redentora

t3DtDSs.png

Here is Val (well, as much of a likeness as I could do with those parts) standing in front of the mountains, arms outstretched, palms pointing upwards to the sky, urging kerbalkind to claim the stars

Val died while trying to land with a science jr on a mountain biome, so I figured using a science jr as the base and placing it on the mountains was fitting.

I would have liked to carry her on top of a mountain. But the rover I used to carry the monument was very crappy, limited by part count and the awkward payload

32tn9v6.png

This thing has very few solar panels. Even on flat terrain, winning air drag consumes more energy than it's produced. To send this contraption to the mountains west of the KSC, I neeed 4 days of brief traveling and long waiting to recharge the battery. It could move uphill pretty well thanks to its many wheels, except that it would drain the battery in 20 seconds. So, I just left the memorial as soon as I got into mountains.