Back after around a decade of inactivity

Qwotty

I used to post on this forum in 2014, back when I was 13, and things have changed a lot since then. What never changed, though, was my love for KSP. 
And I decided the best way to show my love for KSP and make a return to the forums at the same time is with a mission report, as I've always loved those.
A video game is about gameplay anyway, is it not? The mission in question I'm posting about is a Science Mode mission. It was a well-planned and fruitful fly-by of Minmus, that of which rewarded me with a lot of science points. Everything from ascent to landing was nominal, and I had enough delta-v thanks to using drop tanks (which I would highly recommend if you're looking for ways to get more delta-v) that, by the time I had reached a circular-ish (as in not perfectly circular) low orbit around it, I was eager to attempt to make a landing, but knew that a lack of landing legs might have spelt out stranding Jeb on Minmus, so I decided not to do that.  The Experiment Storage Unit's ability to store science stuff truly came in handy on this mission, because, without it, I wouldn't have been able to store multiple experiments how you can't if you don't have it. That's how I was able to store eight experiments instead of the lower amount it would have been restricted to. The placement of the ESU indeed made the final re-entry stage taller, but it had no noticeable negative effects, as I had postulated that it wouldn't.
As far as water landings go, I actually landed quite close to shore, with an impressive amount of science points to boot. Talk about a successful mission, eh? 203.1!  That is no joke compared to the much more modest numbers that I used to get. In fact, the type of stuff that I can do now is what would make the KSP poster me from something like ten years ago as of writing this very impressed about it.

It's moments like that which remind me why I fell in love with this game in the first place. As Jeb safely touched down near the shores of Kerbin, I couldn't help but feel a profound sense of accomplishment. The science points gathered were impressive, marking a significant leap forward in my pictured Science Mode career within KSP. Reflecting on the mission in retrospect now as I wrote this post, I can't help but marvel at the advancements in my gameplay skills since my early days of basic missions done on pirated copies of Kerbal Space Program. This time, every decision felt deliberate and informed, from the choice of using drop tanks for extended Delta-v to the careful management of scientific data with the Experiment Storage Unit. From the KSC launchpad, Jeb's spacecraft soared into the Kerbin sky, its design meticulously plotted to optimize delta-V and fuel usage, hence the drop tanks.  And with the precision of a seasoned veteran Kerbonaut, Jeb soared gracefully towards Minmus in his spacecraft, fueled by the aforementioned drop tanks. The decision not to risk a landing without proper equipment showcased Jeb's commitment to safety and mission success, a decision that later proved wise as he navigated doing science work above the icy landscape of Minmus from a cautious yet cozily close orbit instead without a hitch, with more than enough delta-V and fuel to spare. The Experiment Storage Unit, smartly integrated into the capsule design, stored a treasure trove of scientific data from multiple experiments worthy of earning nods of approval from the Kerbals at the KSC back home. Especially from the scientist Kerbals over at the Research & Development Facility. 

Oh, and let me tell you about the return burn from Minmus! Funny thing that. Jeb's was cruising back towards Kerbin, and everything seemed on track, right?
Well, the maneuver that was done for that had put me in a unique position that I was not expecting it to — a slingshot course from Kerbin to the Mun and back! 
Now... normally, you'd think, "Hey, free Mun fly-by, cool!" But, nope... not this time — I had over 100 points of science on board from that epic Minmus trip.
And I was not about to risk losing all of that. So, instead, I slammed the brakes, metaphorically-speaking, using a retrograde burn and rerouted into a smooth re-entry trajectory instead.

Sure, it would've been awesome to swing by the Mun and back, but science is science, folks.
And when you've got that much valuable data packed into your capsule, you play it safe.
Although Jeb may have missed out on a Mun adventure, it was ultimately way more worth having those science points safely tucked away than to risk it all. KSP's all about calculated risks, and this time, caution was definitely the name of the game. Jeb might be a daredevil in space, but I feel like even he knows when it's time to play it safe for the sake of scientific progress.

Anyway... that's all. End of mission report story.

If you're reading this, I want to thank you for sharing in my excitement and passion for Kerbal Space Program.
My thoughts that the Kerbal Space Program community is truly something special have remained unchanged, and I'm glad that a lot of you folks are still here.
I look forward being part of the KSP1 community again, as an adult with advanced knowhow now, as well as sharing more adventures with you like this all soon.

I'm glad to be back, and more than curious to hear what all of you here at the forums have to say — especially after not having made a forum post before this in so long. And, plus, my fingers have started wanting to type words about the serious business that is putting cute little green creatures into space more than ever.

Here's to the many more missions, discoveries, and discussions ahead.

Fly safe, aim high, and may your orbits be ever stable!

Cheers,
Qwotty

Edited by Vanamonde