The Linux compatibility thread!

Can anyone take a look at this log and see why 9 times out of 10 once the initial load screen is done it closes to desktop?

When it does work, loading into the VAB will cause it to crash, but looking into that I believe it was the part catalog mod.

Part catalogue breaks for me, the simple part organiser works though.

Have you tried the proprietary AMD driver? I always had trouble with the open source one on AMD, also I see real solar system and other addons, make sure the game works when stock.

Another thing to try would be the 64bit binary in the KSP folder.

Part catalogue breaks for me, the simple part organiser works though.

Have you tried the proprietary AMD driver? I always had trouble with the open source one on AMD, also I see real solar system and other addons, make sure the game works when stock.

Another thing to try would be the 64bit binary in the KSP folder.

Game worked fine last time I tried it with only a stock install, and I launched that through the ksp x86_64 (or something like that) in the KSP Main folder.

As far as the video driver. I am extremely new to linux, I only installed it as a dual boot option specifically for the Realism Ovehaul for KSP. So I have no idea how to do pretty much everything on linux. My video card is a Geforce Gtx 770. I Tried to download a driver for it off the Geforce website (believe this is the driver I downloaded. I am at a class on my laptop not my desktop atm http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/75821), but couldn't figure out how to install. Double click like on windows opened Gedit with a loading bar at the top, but seemingly froze and never did anything AFAIK.

Thanks for the help!

Ah right, nVidia driver then.

Which Linux distro are you using? If it's Ubuntu (any variant), look for a program called "Additional Drivers" or something similar. That should let you install the proprietary nVidia driver. It's better to do it that way, which will use the package manager and repository (broadly equivalent to the "app stores" on smartphones), rather than using the download from the nVidia website.

Reign Of Magic, I suggest you just try the Nvidia driver in the repository for now, "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current" in the terminal should do the trick :)

Don't forget to reboot!

@cantab : I am on Unbuntu 14.04 LTS I also installed the driver Sal recommended because I that sounded easier.

@ Sal_Vager: I installed the driver your way, did not do the trick =/ (I did reboot!) Now the here is the kink. Stock KSP, 32bit and 64 bit boot up and seem to run fine. When I throw in all the mods from the realism overhaul, it won't even get to 10% loaded before freezing/sitting there forever (the cute load in tips still cycle) (32 bit). Or just close/crash to desktop.

Here is the link to the latest ksp log from the 64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/naskx7d8jcock7q/KSP2.log

Thanks again!

So the game works but it's an addon issue? It's best if you find out which one is doing this and then we can try to figure out why, you can contact the addon maker or you'll have to go without, we can't fix other peoples stuff, sorry.

If you are using a non English language on your PC then try the LC_ALL=C command.

So the game works but it's an addon issue? It's best if you find out which one is doing this and then we can try to figure out why, you can contact the addon maker or you'll have to go without, we can't fix other peoples stuff, sorry.

If you are using a non English language on your PC then try the LC_ALL=C command.

Would the logs give any hint? Or would the mod that is currently being loaded be the issue? Or do I need to go through all 30~ mods one at a time before I find which one?

Again thanks for the help =)

Would the logs give any hint? Or would the mod that is currently being loaded be the issue? Or do I need to go through all 30~ mods one at a time before I find which one?

Again thanks for the help =)

Your Kethane plugin is throwing some excption:

[ERR 17:56:56.344] Failed to load assembly /home/chris/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/Kethane/Plugins/MMI_Kethane.dll:

System.BadImageFormatException: Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid.

Try witout it.

Also when using ActiveTextureManagement the loading screen will be freezed for a pretty long time, you know that right? There is nothing anybody could do about this loading time with ActiveTextureManagement you simply have to be patient.

Recently I am no longer able to use IVA properly. Everything works fine until I try to look around. This locks up my computer forcing me to stop kdm and restart it.

Normally I run 64 bit KSP and have had no issues until this. The strangest thing is that it happened in the middle of a mission that I was doing in all IVA. I was able too look around the cabin just fine until I started to land. Then it crashed. Since then it does it every time I look around the cabin in IVA mode.

What I have done:

Re-installed drivers and X

Completely removed KSP from my system and tried with a completely fresh install (no mods) with both 32 bit and 64 bit ksp.

Lots of fruitless google searching

I am hoping someone has an answer because my next step is to re-install kubuntu.

Info:

Kubuntu 14.04 64-bit

Intel Core i7 950

Samsung SSD

12 GB DDR3 RAM

GTX 650 ti boost Driver Version 331.38

KSP version 0.23.5.0 Launching via Steam

(I saw a forum thread mentioning a v0.23.5.464 available but when I do a search for it all I get is stuff about pirating KSP)

So I seem to have resolved the issue kind of. As long as I run KSP in full screen (set in the in game settings and not with the "more actions" menu when in windowed mode) it does not happen. While this is just a work around I am no longer concerned with fixing the issue outright as I can easily avoid it and prefer full screen anyway (previously the full screen option in game would not make it full screen so I would do it through the window options instead). However, I am interested in finding out why KSP isnt updating to the newest version and is still on 0.23.5.0 even after completely re-installing the game. Although that may be a question for the steam forums. Thank you for offering your assistance though. I really appreciate it.

Thank you Carey, I had the same issue with IVA in window mode. Running in fullscreen also fixed it for me, so now I can enjoy IVA again :)

I just had to have a little talk with my window manager about where to spawn the KSP window. It really wanted to put the Full-HD fullscreen on my secondary monitor which is only 1440x900 :huh:

But a little bit of config editing and a certian force="yes" flag solved that.

However, I am interested in finding out why KSP isnt updating to the newest version and is still on 0.23.5.0 even after completely re-installing the game.

You probably switched in the Steam options for KSP to a previous release mode.

Anyone on Linux using Texture Replacer with their installation of KSP? I keep crashing on the load screen with Texture Replacer (I remove it and it loads no problem). I was just curious if anyone else has run across this incompatibility and if they have a solution for it.

Had been running .23 and updated to .235 yesterday. Began installing mods piecemeal. No issues until I tried to install Renaissance Pack and Texture Replacer. It began crashing to desktop while trying to load. I'm running 64 bit and watched my RAM use, which passed 4GB with no issues.

Deleted the TR files and no problem. Began adding back in one folder at a time.

The dll, config files no problem.

Suits directory no problem

Heads directory no problem

PluginData directory no problem

EnvMap directory no problem

Default directory crashes to desktop. It appears to be the surface map pngs that are doing it. Added in the other graphics (but not the maps) and still getting 90% of Renaissance Pack working with no crashing.

Have not added the Squad sub directory back in yet. Will test those out later and start testing individual files of the maps. I know for sure KerbinScaledSpace300.png crashes it.

So...I'm on Ubuntu 14.04, running KSP downloaded from Steam, (but I moved the directory and then run it directly from the executable).

At first I installed a ton of mods I wanted, launched the game, booted fine, start career, build dinky first rocket, launch, hit about 3500m...crash.

Nothing gets output to the log file. It changes a little bit from crash to crash, but usually it just shows something like "[LOG 21:07:41.616] [mk1pod]: Activated" (but it isn't always this specific line.) No error messages or anything, the program just closes.

Initially, I thought: "okay...maybe I just have too many mods" or "maybe I have to run it in the original Steam directory" or "maybe I have to run it THROUGH Steam"

None of these worked. I tried a simple mk1 on the small SRB, launch, 3500m....CRASH

Anyone have ideas...?

cafeclimber, how fast were you going at the time? There's a graphical effect for high speed flight and for re-entry heat that can crash Intel graphics cards, and you'll need to disable it by using the atmospheric effects slider (settings screen, graphics page)

Had been running .23 and updated to .235 yesterday. Began installing mods piecemeal. No issues until I tried to install Renaissance Pack and Texture Replacer. It began crashing to desktop while trying to load. I'm running 64 bit and watched my RAM use, which passed 4GB with no issues.

Deleted the TR files and no problem. Began adding back in one folder at a time.

The dll, config files no problem.

Suits directory no problem

Heads directory no problem

PluginData directory no problem

EnvMap directory no problem

Default directory crashes to desktop. It appears to be the surface map pngs that are doing it. Added in the other graphics (but not the maps) and still getting 90% of Renaissance Pack working with no crashing.

Have not added the Squad sub directory back in yet. Will test those out later and start testing individual files of the maps. I know for sure KerbinScaledSpace300.png crashes it.

This is question for the mod support section however Have you tried it with the Active Texture Management mod?

It changes the way the game handles textures so it could fix your problem.

cafeclimber, how fast were you going at the time? There's a graphical effect for high speed flight and for re-entry heat that can crash Intel graphics cards, and you'll need to disable it by using the atmospheric effects slider (settings screen, graphics page)

I was going nearly 300 m/s. I changed the FX quality to "minimal" (The lowest possible setting) and that solved my problem. Is there a fix for this at all?

Also after this test, reverting to launch crashed the game again...

This is question for the mod support section however Have you tried it with the Active Texture Management mod?

It changes the way the game handles textures so it could fix your problem.

Yup. I'm running ATM Basic, but I am unsure whether it ran properly. I did not get an extended blank screen it says I would on first run.

EDIT: BTW, You were absolutely correct.

I verified that Active Texture Management had not properly run on startup, and determined I botched something on my copy order.

I deleted that folder and Texture Replacer, recopied the Active Texture Management, recopied Texture Replacer, and then recopied Renaissance's Texture Replacer files over those, and it now works perfectly.

PS I wasn't actually seeking help, but responding to the other poster in hopes he could get useful info from my similar experience. :-)

Edited by HoustonDave

Hmmm, not seeing a crash cafeclimber, it could be anything, are you getting any crash folders? Also look for your player.log in "/home/user/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program"