The Linux compatibility thread!

I noticed that in 0.24.2, the default modifier key in Linux is no longer RightShift--LeftAlt and RightAlt are the primary and secondary keybinds (respectively) for modifier keys when a default settings.cfg is created. Since (at least in my experiences with Ubuntu 14.04) commands with these keys are caught above the program, they don't work for in-game commands. Be sure to change the keybind(s) in your settings.cfg and try again if you haven't checked that out.

Thanks Mesons that was it. :)

I can't build a rocket as well as a spaceplane because I can't attach two parts together. Also the part build sound of the first part is missing.

And if I launch a one-part spacecraft like a Command Pod Mk1, it's immediately "moving" for a short time with first increasing and then decreasing speed with a maximum at about 70 m/s whitout changing position and focusing at nothing in the air above the launch pad. Once it reaches 0 m/s the focus slowly slides down to focus the Command Pod Mk1 I was using. After that everything else of the launch worked e.g. Crew Report or EVA. But I couldn't try engines, cause I could not attach them.

I am using Play Linux whitch is based on Ubuntu, my system is up to date (I have made just today an update) and I am using the Steam-Version. The error is 64bit and 32bit. I also tried to reinstall the game completely.

I have yesterday visited the IRC Chat and asked for some help. Thanks to bigbadaboom and Sub_Genius I was able to solve the Problem:

I had to use the Launch-Option

LC_ALL=C %command%_64

that everything workes, but every save was corruptet. Of course there was no long played save without an copy.

Edited by seyfahni
Problem solved

Is there a bug with screen shots, I get all black Pic or stadic pic.

KSP can take its own screenshots, have you tried using that function? Or were you using the Print Screen button? The default keybind for screenshots is F1, and F2 toggles your UI. I haven't tested Print Screen, so I don't know how/if that works, but F1 works great for me.

KSP can take its own screenshots, have you tried using that function? Or were you using the Print Screen button? The default keybind for screenshots is F1, and F2 toggles your UI. I haven't tested Print Screen, so I don't know how/if that works, but F1 works great for me.

Try'ed both of them but F2 or F1 just get black or static shot's try'ed some mod Boss for screen shots and samething but to use my F keys, I have to use rightshift key with them or they just change my screen bright and dim by defalt.

• 3 weeks later...
MeCripp, have you managed to resolve this yet? If not then 0.25 is coming and that may fix a few things.

Mesons helped me get debug up again but still can't take screenshot's there just blank shots or static, Do you know what the screenshots tie in to ? as something in the setting are disabled thought that it was just for the re-enter FX but can that be part of the screenshot also ?

Mesons helped me get debug up again but still can't take screenshot's there just blank shots or static, Do you know what the screenshots tie in to ? as something in the setting are disabled thought that it was just for the re-enter FX but can that be part of the screenshot also ?

Another question - are you running through Steam? If so, I think the screenshot key is bound to F12 in that case.

I am also trying to get KSP to run under a separate X instance. I've not gone as far as closing KDM (I'm on Kubuntu 14.04) but having it on a separate X instance would still give a performance boost (and on the laptop I might be able to get that second instance running on the nvidia GPU, a poor man's Optimus).

Anyway, I've modified the script from here to try this (see blow) and whilst I do now get the pointer, KSP does not respond to click events.

#!/bin/bash
#No pointer otherwise
xsetroot -xcf /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/cursors/left_ptr 8
#Launch in new X server
xinit ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/KSP.x86_64 -- :1

Anyone any ideas?

KSP should still take screenshots but yeah, the Steam overlay will also take screenshots and I think it puts them in a Steam folder.

Have you uploaded your screenshots anywhere MeCripp? It may help us to see what you are seeing.

It's possible that it's a GFX card/driver issue and we might be able to find out why.

twistedLucidity, I haven't tried that with KSP yet, but this may help, it's for scaling Wine games but omit Wine and you get an X server which you access via VNC, this should overcome the mouse issues (crosses fingers)

Hello, I am experiencing the "mk1podCockpit/model" issue, where the loading hangs. I have tried LC_ALL=C ./KSP.x86_64 solution, but that does not work. I don't know if I've done something wrong or not.

When i copy it into Set Launch Options, it does nothing.

Hi Fun1k, try deleting the settings.cfg file in the KSP folder, then starting KSP with the LC+ALL=C command :)

MeCripp, the green image? Yeah that's not right at all, KSP doesn't do that but it almost looks like a steriogram image.

Nevermind, someone advised me to try this and it works

LC_ALL=C %command%_64

LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 %command%_64

Leaving it here if someone else has the same problem.

Hi Fun1k, try deleting the settings.cfg file in the KSP folder, then starting KSP with the LC+ALL=C command :)

MeCripp, the green image? Yeah that's not right at all, KSP doesn't do that but it almost looks like a steriogram image.

Found out when, I change to windows mod and not fullscreen, Screenshot's work but is there away to get them to work in fullscreen ?

Found out when, I change to windows mod and not fullscreen, Screenshot's work but is there away to get them to work in fullscreen ?

I run KSP full-screen (dual monitors, one for reference info etc, the other for the game) and my screenshots work fine. Didn't do anything special (settings or otherwise), it just worked for me.

My setup: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS with the official (not opensource) nvidia 340.32 driver, kernel 3.14, 64-bit, Debian Jessie.

Even though I have the Steam version, I launch the game directly to avoid the overheads from Steam (my machine is a bit underpowered for KSP..)

There has to be some reason this is happening MeCripp, if I remember right you only use module manager and there were null reverences in your logs, also have you tried windowed mode at your full resolution? That may be how you have to get around this until we figure it out.

Still playing with it screenshot13.png

My Graphics card Intel® Sandybridge Mobile ;.;

EDIT- When changing to fullscreen and ksp still running this is added to the buttom of log

[LOG 11:58:45.205] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'PersistentEmitterManager' from assembly 'SmokeScreen'

[LOG 11:58:45.206] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'AssetDatabasePrinter' from assembly 'VanguardTechnologies'

[LOG 11:58:45.278] Joystick Names:

0: ST LIS3LV02DL Accelerome.

[LOG 11:58:45.278] Launcher start settings screen: False

[LOG 11:58:50.808] Launcher here (in apply): False

[LOG 11:58:50.850] Launcher here(in write): False

[LOG 11:59:03.936] SCREENSHOT!!

[ERR 11:59:03.957] Cannot read from image without framebuffer blit extension!

? Edited by Mecripp2

Sounds like your card and/or driver is missing some capability which KSP uses for screenshots when full-screen, but not when in windowed mode.

You are missing the blit extension.

What Linux distro are you running?

Also, could you check the version your Mesa, X11 Driver, X11 and libLLVM versions?

SandyBridge should be capable of running the shaders in the Aerodynamic FX and Screenshots using the Blit extension if your drivers, X11 and Mesa versions are up to date.

Edited by Ruedii