The Linux compatibility thread!

There's no real list as far as I know, though all addons that work in 0.23 for Windows should also work fully in Linux, 32 or 64bit.

Unity uses a slightly modified version of the Mono runtime for the plugins on all three OS's, so they should all be fine.

Regular parts should also work with no changes :)

• 2 weeks later...

Shadows were the main culprit. Now I am getting the 64-bit performance I deserve! Still, the graphical performance seems a little slower than in Windows, especially when looking near the horizon when near the surface. I'll keep looking into the best combination of graphical settings. Right now though, with shadow cascades turned to 0 things seem pretty zippy around the spaceport and the shadows don't dance around like wild raccoon.

Awesome stuff, meeki!

I've been testing different settings this morning, and I've come up with something that works for my GTX 765M. I'll note I am using KDE. But this configuration gives me a minimum of ~40 fps when looking down at Kerbin or at the horizon (if near the surface).

Terrain detail: Default (Turning this up to high cut my fps down to 15-20 :( )

SM3 Terrain Shaders: Disabled

Terrain Scatters (WIP): Disabled (These two need a game reload to work, turning them on cuts fps by 5-10fps each )

Scatter Density: 50%

Render Quality Level: Fantastic (Having this at Good or below was a real problem, shadows freaking out on the terrain and only ~20 fps)

Texture quality: Full res

Fallback part shaders: false

Aerodynamic fx quality: normal

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

Full screen: enabled

Anti-aliasing: off (can't control in-game; I've set it with a rule in NVidia Settings but when it is enabled it's ~ -20fps)

Vsync: Every vblank ( doesn't work, actually, so w/e)

Frame limit: 60 fps (why not...)

Pixel Light Count: 11

Shadow cascades: 3

The real key was keeping shadow cascades at a reasonable number, but also keeping the render quality at Beautiful or Fantastic. Lower than that caused some real problems with the shadows as well. I'll report back when I test with a 1000-part ship!

meeki, I did try your script among the other methods and it didn't help, so you might consider modifying it to add a copy/symlink with the aforementioned name (and probably a prompt to copy the fonts to /usr/share/fonts if user is not root?).

Thanks again.

This issue made the cut for the LCL jsut did not have time to tell you till now.

You were not the only one it seems that the only thing common between distros and fonts is the root font dir and ArialBold.

The LCL script is root only now and installs with the new font name.

Thanks for the testing it made the cut.

Awesome stuff, meeki!

I've been testing different settings this morning, and I've come up with something that works for my GTX 765M. I'll note I am using KDE. But this configuration gives me a minimum of ~40 fps when looking down at Kerbin or at the horizon (if near the surface).

Terrain detail: Default (Turning this up to high cut my fps down to 15-20 :( )

SM3 Terrain Shaders: Disabled

Terrain Scatters (WIP): Disabled (These two need a game reload to work, turning them on cuts fps by 5-10fps each )

Scatter Density: 50%

Render Quality Level: Fantastic (Having this at Good or below was a real problem, shadows freaking out on the terrain and only ~20 fps)

Texture quality: Full res

Fallback part shaders: false

Aerodynamic fx quality: normal

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

Full screen: enabled

Anti-aliasing: off (can't control in-game; I've set it with a rule in NVidia Settings but when it is enabled it's ~ -20fps)

Vsync: Every vblank ( doesn't work, actually, so w/e)

Frame limit: 60 fps (why not...)

Pixel Light Count: 11

Shadow cascades: 3

The real key was keeping shadow cascades at a reasonable number, but also keeping the render quality at Beautiful or Fantastic. Lower than that caused some real problems with the shadows as well. I'll report back when I test with a 1000-part ship!

You should not be having these issues with the hardware your running.

Me ---> Nvidia 550ti http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-550ti/specifications I could only find link to 1GB memory version I have 2GB card

You --> Nvidia GTX 765M http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-765m/specifications

Can you link me:

CPU / RAM / laptop model

OS your running (version too)

Program your using to detect frame rates

Nvida Driver Version --> please run this line in term to get that number

nvidia-smi | grep -oP "Version: \K.*" | awk '{print $1}'

and a craft file to a ship your using so I can use the same one.

I'm going to pull out the old 250gb harddrive and install a system like yours and run kerbal.

Somthing is off here.

Edited by meeki

OK, I've recently had troubles with windows and on my new computer gave up and went with Ubuntu. I did use Ubuntu a while ago (two or three years ago I think) but never got really into it. Anyway, I got things more or less set up, but I have some problems with KSP.

Right now only 64bit launcher and exe will work, both 32bit launcher and exe don't do anything when clicked. So I thought I'd just use the 64bit version. However, I'm having issues with some models causing a crash to desktop with no errors. The most notable one is the standard 3man capsule. When ever I click on it in the VAB the game crashes. I think it's an issue with my video card... or lack thereof. For some reason my new computer, despite supposedly having more power than my old one, won't run with ANY video card installed. I'm suspecting the PSU is producing way low power. Some of my old cards I tested should run with 200W or less, and this is a 600W unit!

My comp is a Richland A4 CPU with GPU built in. Yeah, I know, not ideal to say the least, but at least it is working. At one point I even thought it was a conflict with the GPU, but when I disable that the machine won't boot at all, even to the Bios. Had to use a spare jumper from my old comp to get the bios back to default.

For reference these are my machine stats:

AMD A4-6300 Richland 3.7GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Dual-Core APU w/ Radeon HD 8370D Graphics

AMD Black Edition Copper HeatPipe EXTRA QUIET fan

MSI FM2-A55M-E33, AMD A75, SATA3, OnBoard Video, HDMI & DVI, GB LAN

8GB (2x4GB) PC14900 DDR3 1866 Dual Channel (high performance memory)

HD Onboard 3D graphics Dual head, HDMI (only if listed with board)

LG 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW

Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)

Ethernet network adapter (onboard)

PowMax Black Mid Tower ATX Case w/ Front USB

Case Fan 120 mm Extra Quiet DC fan

Thermaltake TR2 600W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-fire ready

HD: Western Digital 1TB 64MB cache 7200PRM SATA 6GB/s

A few pages back you mentioned using 'ldd KSP.x86 | grep "not found" ' for if the 32bit prog isn't working, and I tried that (after finally working out the Terminal once more) and got:

libGLU.so.1 => not found

libX11.so.6 => not found

libXext.so.6 => not found

libXcursor.so.1 => not found

libXext.so.6 => not found

OK, so then you said 'install it from the terminal with :i386 at the end'.... Um, how? I use the archive extractor normally, but when I attempted to use the zip file in the Terminal it just says 'command not found' Do I have to find an unzip command then add :i386? Or are you talking about the 32bit launcher... which doesn't work?

Edited by Patupi
error message correction

Okay the instructions were not as clear as they could have been.

For libGLU.so.1, you need:

sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa:i386

Basically you can find the package by using synaptic or googling, then install it with :i386 as above.

sudo apt-get install libx11-6:i386
sudo apt-get install libxext6:i386
sudo apt-get install libxcursor1:i386

They probably weren't as clear merely because I'm a total noob with Linux in general. I'm trying that right now. Just for added info I'm using Ubuntu 12.04. We'll see if this works

Dang! It ran all the way through boot up, then bombed out. I'm guessing it's a Ram issue, though I am using Agressive Texture Compression... or is that not fully compatible with Linux?

Out of interest second list of 'sudo's you gave was mostly auto installed by the first one, the 'sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa:i386'. After that I only needed the 'sudo apt-get install libxcursor1:i386' as the other commands said they were already present.

I'm running LLL and KW rocketry so I think I'm going to remove something and try again to see if it's just a Ram issue

(EDIT: OK, I'm using more than those two, just I think those two are the most memory intensive. Maybe an issue with KSPI too, though given my AAR I can't run it without that and keep things consistent.)

Edited by Patupi

Ahh right, thanks I could not remember if any of the rest were part of mesa.

All plugins should work in KSP as Unity just uses Mono for plugins anyway, you might want to look at that RAM fix near the top of the first post, back up your binaries first though :)

OK, just for reference, is there a way in Ubuntu to see how much Ram you are using currently? I'd like to check to see if that's the issue. Right now I've removed LLL and KW and still getting it bombing out at the end of the boot screen after the bar is full for loading.

(Edit: Never mind, I've found a Ram display widget. Hopefully I can nail this thing down!)

(2nd Edit: OK, that's annoying. Found Two Ram display widgets, but neither will install. Various dependency issues. Attempted to install the one's it lists in the 'details' of the error message after install... and it says some are either missing or obsoleted. I'm going to start googling, but anyone know a good ram display for Ubuntu 12.04?)

Edited by Patupi

OK, found 'system monitor' in the base system and things seem to be fine as far as memory is concerned. 1.1Gb max. System resources as a whole are 4.1 Gb, but I think it only matters what the KSP prog is using of mem, right? So I started ripping mods out, and so far without LLL, KW, All of BoulderCo (including texture compression), and even Hotrockets, it's still crashing.

I might start from a clean install and see how many mods I can install before it becomes unstable.

So I thought I'd just use the 64bit version. However, I'm having issues with some models causing a crash to desktop with no errors. The most notable one is the standard 3man capsule. When ever I click on it in the VAB the game crashes.

Have you tried the 64bit segfault fix?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24529-The-Linux-compatibility-thread!?p=857019&viewfull=1#post857019

It's known that without it your going to crash to desktop with no msg. Gets worse as you install mods.

this way you might be able to run the 64bit version.

Don't want to type in terminal? give my LCL a go

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/63128-Linux-LCL-Linux-Compatibility-Loader-0-0-1?p=862651&viewfull=1#post862651

Edited by meeki

I'm fine with the terminal, and have just about figured out the Dependency things (I think I'd figured it out a few years ago when I was last in Ubuntu, but it took me a while, and Salvager's suggestions jogging my memory, to get the hang of it again.)

I might give that a go, though as far as the 32bit version goes I've got KSPI, LLL, and KW installed and it works. Now going through others to see if there is one particular mod that's causing trouble.

I might give the 64bit thing a go first though. Thanks Meeki

(EDIT: Just to let you know, right clicking on a blank part of the window for KSP doesn't give you the option of 'open in Terminal' or anything similar. For me I'm OK as I've figured out enough of the differences between DOS commands and Ubuntu terminal commands to navigate to the folder (though it didn't like apostrophes in a folder name and I had to rename it). I'm using Ubuntu 12.04)

(2nd EDIT: Um, I'm getting '1: command not found', I'm assuming it's the '1' after the '-|' in the command before KSP. Have I been typing it in wrong?

xxd -s +0x838077 -| 1 KSP.86_64 )

Ack, never mind. I see my typo!

Um, even corrected to 'KSP.x86_64' it still bombs out

OK, found it. That was an 'L' rather than a vertical bar! All done and I'm going to try KSP out now. Thanks Meeki

Edited by Patupi

Yup, the 64bit segfault fix worked, at least as far as I can find so far. Might still attempt to see what was causing the 32bit version to crash, but that's for another day. I gotta get up early tomorrow for work. 4Am mornings suck. :( Gonna check that the 64bit seems to be working, watch a little TV then head to bed.

Take care, and thanks to everyone for helping me out.

Yup, the 64bit segfault fix worked, at least as far as I can find so far. Might still attempt to see what was causing the 32bit version to crash, but that's for another day. I gotta get up early tomorrow for work. 4Am mornings suck. :( Gonna check that the 64bit seems to be working, watch a little TV then head to bed.

Take care, and thanks to everyone for helping me out.

Good to hear!

For me in linux mint.... an unbuntu based os I can copy paste to terminal. I copy text here like the line you got mixed up with a pipe " | " for ell " l "

Just copy here like normal then when in the terminal left click and an option for paste should come up..... well it does for me.

hope it saves you some miss types.

Hey meeki,

Yeah, I agree. It seems strange. I was hoping to get Windows-smooth performance, though I was figuring there would be a graphics hit. It's a tradeoff I'll make for a bit higher CPU performance! So, more about my laptop:

ASUS G750JW

Core i7-4700HQ @2.4 GHz

16 GB DDR3 @1333 MHz

GTX 765M core 901 MHz, mem 4008 MHz, driver version 334.21

Running Gentoo, kernel 3.13-rc4 with gentoo patches. Built it myself, maybe I left something important out? I've been using the mod off the Spaceport which toggles FPS printout with F11. As far as craft files, I don't have much to send; I've been speaking of FPS when viewing the spaceport when you can select a building to enter. Minimizes the variables that way.

Time to test!

For me in linux mint.... an unbuntu based os I can copy paste to terminal. I copy text here like the line you got mixed up with a pipe " | " for ell " l "

Just copy here like normal then when in the terminal left click and an option for paste should come up..... well it does for me.

hope it saves you some miss types.]

*smiles* Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I'm just too used to typing quickly. Sometimes it's quicker for me to type it out than copy paste. Once I did try that I almost forgot about the difference between right click and 'copy paste' and using the short cut keys 'C & V'. In windows they're the same thing, in Ubuntu they're two separate clipboards! I think I figured that out last time, but I didn't remember till I stumbled across it again.

One thing, anyone know how to unbind 'Alt' key to Ubuntu's 'move window' command? In the VAB I can't copy parts around as Ubuntu grabs hold of the Alt key first. Annoying.