KASA-Ad Astra Ibimus

To The Stars We Will Go.

Hello! You join me in the middle of a save, at a Duna Transfer Window. So far we have

- built relay stations

- found many anomalies on The Mun

- built a type of interplanetary vehicle 

- and are currently building a new base on Minmus.(This is on pause until the Sandcastle mod is finished.)

Part 1: Duna, the red planet.

Spoiler

Today, the InterPlanetary eXperimental  Transfer Vehicle-2 "Destiny"  or IPXTV-2 "Destiny"  with Jeb, Val, Bill, and Bob. Its 4 nuclear NV-GE "Liberator" engines complete the transfer burn. Since it has a giant centrifuge, at up to 0.6 G, the crew should be happy. The IPXTV design is capable of reaching Eve, Duna, and Dres. Maybe even Jool if flown correctly. But we have the bigger DSXTV for Jool, Moho, and Eeloo. However, Mortimer Kerman screamed when looking at it.

MOYKgOq.jpeg

Off we go!

As of current, the Advanced Descent-Ascent Vehicle-1 "Olympus"  is also on route to Duna, and may land also on Ike, if all goes well.

IbpNH3l.jpeg

.. and so is the base. Its gigantic size is because of the rule that the KSC has. "Would you want to be in there for that long?"

1Us3Okp.jpeg

Mortimer Kerman, however, was found crying in the admin building. In his defense, the lander and base costed 2,429,232 funds

But in the Tracking Station, Kermit Kerman, a planetary scientist, decides to look at the old KSPedia book. Rarely anyone uses it. But when he gets to the part about Dres, he finds something he had never noticed.

"... Some astronomers have noticed variations in gravitational measurements around Dres. While only slight, perhaps there is something more to this gray dwarf."

He went into the R&D building to check- all of the documents however, including from the only Dres mission, "Ceres-1", about Dres were destroyed on the Great Dres Rebellion from the "Dres Hoax Society". There was one page that survived the attack, but it was lost.

He then thought, "What are you hiding, Dres?"

Spoiler

This is real!

8HRPx9m.jpeg

I never knew about it, until I checked(I don't remember why).

Edited by Mr. Kerbin

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, B0lt said:

Looks great so far! Do you think you can add a mods- list please? 

Yeah, I think I have ~70 ?

EDIT: I have 104 items in GameData. Also, I have 14202 MM patches. This will be very very fun to write.

Edited by Mr. Kerbin
sarcasm am I right?

1 hour ago, Mr. Kerbin said:

Yeah, I think I have ~70 ?

EDIT: I have 104 items in GameData. Also, I have 14202 MM patches. This will be very very fun to write.

I understand your pain, my current mod list is looking at 84 mods excluding thier dependencies. It's an addiction and it's getting unhealthy:)

Part 2: Icy Eeloo and the road to Duna.

Spoiler

The transfer window to Eeloo, the furthest body was here. So the new Carina 2 probe was here. We decided on using the Energia-1 Blizzard. After a fairly routine launch, it was in orbit.

OeNSWG1.jpeg

The Energia-1 "Blizzard" deploys the Carina Type II

Now it was time to  do the transfer burn.

QhynnUv.jpeg

"And we are Go for TEI!"

Now coasting at around 4000 m/s, it will leave the Kerbin system in one day.

MZwVAP5.jpeg

However, there were problems on Destiny...

2PAapX6.jpeg

Val : "Let me try this then..." (reboots the computer, and the solar panel controller)Why is it always me doing this stuff, while they play?

-ERROR, ERROR.- The computer said. -SOLAR PANEL B IS NONFUNCTIONAL, PLEASE CHECK THE MANUAL FOR FIXING.-

Val: "Yeah, I know. You told me about 15 times already." "Okay.. check system OS settings... (mumbles to self) Nope. I got nothing. Oh, wait a minute." Yes, Val, we know Jeb's been on the Mun twice already! But guess where you'll be? In the Command Module!

Val: (checks all options in manual) "No, no, not that either..." Seriously?  Why is there a "self-destruct button"?    "Ah, there it is." (presses reset to factory settings)

-ERROR, ERROR.- The computer said. -SOLAR PANEL B IS NONFUNCTIONAL, PLEASE CHECK THE MANUAL FOR FIXING.-

Val : (sigh) "Looks like we need Bill." (over intercom) "BILL! PLEASE GO FIX SOLAR PANEL B!"

Bill: "Got it!"

Jeb: "But we're playing Kerbopoly!"

Bill: "Don't worry, just wait for me."

Bob: "I need to do some work anyway."

Jeb: "But how long will that take?"

Bob: "A few hours."

Jeb: "Fine."

Meanwhile, Bill was looking at the control panel for the tank, solar and engine.

tz9rkfv.jpeg

Bill: "Yeah, so, it just looks like someone messed up this wire- let me just do this-"

-FATAL ERROR, FATAL ERROR, PLEASE REBOOT THE ENTIRE SYSTEM- 

-FATAL ERROR, FATAL ERROR, PLEASE REBOOT THE ENTIRE SYSTEM-  

And it kept saying that.

Val : Gotta hurry! (to the main supercomputer of the whole ship)

Val: "Come on!"

Val : "Hi Jeb!"

Jeb: "What in the Kerbin are you-"

(flick)

Val: Here we go!

(humming of computers stop, and air vents stop)

(clunking and odd noises)

(centrifuge stops)

Jeb: "ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL US!?!?!"

Val: No, it's just-

(computers begin humming and air vents are on now)

(clunking nosies then centrifuge starts spinning again)

Val: -that the  solar panel wasn't working.

Bill : "I'm coming in!"

kjBvx2g.jpeg

Jeb:"Great! We can play Kerbopoly some more! Can you do the rest of my duties Val?"

Val "I guess."  It's not like I could say no anyway... Jeb is an astronaut, CEO of Jeb's Junkyard, and is cared by millions. Who cares about poor Valentina anyway?

At the new Kerman Telescope, a blue dot is seen moving across the sky. Eeloo won't be the farthest body for long.

Posted (edited)

Part 3 : Moho and Lander or Bust!

Spoiler

So, the transfer window to Moho was here. Oddly enough, it wasn't a high priority, but we had the Funds! This time, we used the Energia-2 "Blizzard". The media never talks about Moho… (seriously though, when was the last time you went to Moho?)

Anyways….

dlgDGEb.jpeg

Burn is nominal.

Before we knew it..

OA6Xww0.jpeg

It was time. But, uh, some of the oxidizer in the transfer stage was missing.

Spoiler

JoZcHWR.jpeg

However, we still completed the burn.

VkqWHMi.jpeg

Again, there were problems on Olympus-3.

Gene: Uh, so, funny story-

Val: Oh no. No no no NO! This is what you always say when something BAD  happens!

Jeb: Let him talk.

Gene: -anyway, you, err, might not be able to land?

Everyone (except Val, who's eye was twitching) began to go what is best decribed as insane.

Gene: STOP!!

Everyone looked at the screen.

Gene: We are sending a replacement lander. In fact, it is launching now.

uT8v70R.jpeg

ADAV-Olympus-2, we are go for lift off!

Zvgdbmq.jpeg

Booster sep.

uHhUC5s.jpeg

Stage sep.

And soon, they were in orbit! ETA arrival.. 130 days.

Edited by Mr. Kerbin

Part 4: Arrival and Discovery 

Spoiler

So, Destiny and the base arrived at Duna. First, the base! For coolness  Delta-V, we aerobraked! And of course we retracted the panels![

qwnmULg.jpeg

AHHH WHERE ARE THE BRAKES?!?!??!

Despite the fact that Mission Control was pretty much just screaming at the heat, we did make it.

And we landed safely. (not pictured)

Then the IPXTV came.

ZMIFNgR.jpeg

Hi Duna!

roPJJMD.jpeg

Very red.

Next, we launched the IPXTV-3 "Intrepid ".

IPUilnk.jpeg

But you've seen a rocket launch before, right?

PPpNfWT.jpeg

vHPG6s7.jpeg

However, we found a new planet. Rage. Why Rage? Because astronomers, when nearly finding it, went blind and were mad that they couldn't do anything else. Here is the planet's orbit. (in red)

Cxleg6X.jpeg

The KAS description says-

"Rage. A planet so close to Kerbol that you may go blind trying to find it. Some say it is more like Moho in the stories than Moho."

Our best picture is this.

1JqfUzu.jpeg

Then, we got the Moho probe into a orbit of Moho.

11A9HtJ.jpeg

It only took about a hour and thirty minutes. Coming up: Dres probe!

• 2 weeks later...

Interlude 1: Mort's Diary. 

Spoiler

Year 1998, Day 91

Today my daughter bought me this journal for my 38th birthday today. She said it'd be a good "outlet" for all the stuff with the KSC. I really don't see myself using this too much.

Year 2001, Day 235

KASA is going bankrupt slowly but surely. I might have to make some drastic measures...  And I am seeing my family less and less with all the things I have to do...

Year 2015, Day 156

Today is beginning of the Eve Transfer Window. These dummies want to land on Eve. EVE!!! So looks like I'm going to have to use that fake bank. Or maybe some counterfeit? I never thought I'd have to do this to just make a living, in fact, I want to quit, but where would I go? It's not like I can stop doing this, we don't have the funds. And they still call me cheapskate. 

I hope you like this chapter. Let's just say I'm setting some things up for later, eh? Also, I feel the whole "Mort is a cheapskate" thing is overused.

Part 5 1/2 : Eve or Bust! 

Spoiler

So, the KSC has been oddly quiet recently. Why? Three things.

1. New planets are being discovered. (RL: I am making Beyond Jool) However, they need more research.
  2. And more importantly, the Eve Transfer Window is here. Here at the KSC, we have been putting a lot of time into this. (this is the main reason I was taking a while)
  3. Other stuff, like how we launched a Dres probe, and forgot to tell anyone. That sure didn't help the whole Dres Hoax thing.

Anyway, so this is how the whole Eve thing went.

So, we decided, that using propellers would help with ascent.

GT9vcfg.jpeg

Yeah...

CmdxcHc.jpeg

...that didn't go too well.

So we made another design.

lWzuaom.jpeg

And it worked!

Until we realized that the "Ease into physics" was still on.

Then we made ANOTHER one.

e4diLuR.jpeg

But the landings were less then successful.

And the Dres probe?

Is still on its way.

ouPhqeM.jpeg

Deeeeeeep Space!

• 3 weeks later...

Part 6: Purple Queen and the God of War.

Spoiler

So. We have prepared the Eve lander and sent it to Eve, and finally landed Kerbals on the red planet.

In other news, the blue dot in the sky has been processed by the KAS. Its name, Sarkin.  It also appears to have a giant orange moon. Currently it is being referred to as Sarkin I. There are 6 other moons reported, but not confirmed.

And our budget got a massive increase! A kerbal named Aron Kerman said if we name one of the moons after him, we get 200 million funds!  That's more than our yearly funding!

So, with all this funding, we can do our Eve launch!

LpzyRDQ.jpeg

Yet another oversized launch vehicle.

Hc5t0hn.jpeg

Booster sep!

Hc5t0hn.jpeg

Transfer burn!

Then we were on our way!

And then... The Duna landing.

4Qly3yk.jpeg

Coming in hot!

And, because the lander had to take a slightly less efficient transfer, we aerobraked.

p6LRJZW.jpeg

Ahh that's hot.

And there went the crew!

pi9bCpO.jpeg

It's been so long....

a9oh8I7.jpeg

A beatuiful Duna sunrise.

And soon... we had done it. We have landed 4 kerbals on the red planet.

CREW LOG

--------------------------------------

Jeb: So, Val, you wanna be the first to step on Duna?

Val: Wait... Really?

Jeb: ... why not?

Val: OHMYGOSH!!!!! OHMYGOSH!!!!! OHMYGOSH!!!!!

Jeb then laughed a ton.

Jeb: I'm kidding! Obviously it will be me!

Val then scowled at him.

Jeb exited the hatch and said the first words on Duna.

"Today, another great leap has been done. And now that we have proved going to other planets with kerbals is possible, what else lies beyond waiting?"

MSmt4jF.jpeg

Edited by Mr. Kerbin