Atmos - An Aerospace Adventure

Hello,

Got bored and decided to document a new KSP science play-through, which I am dubbing Atmos (a portmanteau of Atmosphere and Cosmos). It's mostly stock with some visual mods, QoL mods, and Restock. A return to simple roots, I'd say.

EsKBPc0.png

Starting with the Skybound program, Jeb preps for his first flight in Skybound I. Sadly, without a ladder, the entire rocket had to be rolled back to the VAB to fit him back into the seat.

hIFaLOt.png

gD4U5iY.png

Skybound II was a good step up, resulting in an extra-atmospheric trip. Sadly, Jeb would die because the engineers forgot to attach a decoupler to the capsule, resulting in a "lawn-dart"-like phenomenon, flattening him against the surface of the ocean at 500M/S.

RhxZ3ac.png

Valentina was more successful, and with a decoupler-equipped space capsule, she made a gentler trip back to the surface after an upper-atmospheric flight.

I would like to keep updating this as I go. Hope you enjoy my simple little journey.

Oh, and if you'd like a closer look at my flag, here it is.

WVmpGrH.png

Good morning! Did a bit of messing around, doing minor atmospheric contracts.

pp9JhVw.png

First, we had a short upper atmospheric flight toward the North Pole by Valentina in Skybound III, a further iteration of previous Skybound vehicles. This flight was remarkably uneventful, aside from gathering a bit of scientific data. Success!

JejfE9p.png

After that flight, we developed a new manned program, the Observer program, to serve as a moderate-distance, level flight aircraft for contract purposes. For example, this modified Observer aircraft was mounted with a parachute on a girder, meant for testing. This aircraft was actually detached from the parachute and was able to recover and land back at the Kerbal Space Center thanks to its low airspeed requirements.

wZkmhdw.png

This Observer aircraft was further modified with a new cargo bay full of science equipment. This picture, sadly, was taken shortly before Valentina smashed into the island runway at a high enough speed to shatter the landing gear, destroying the aircraft. In all fairness, the hiring materials never said anything about high survivability for test pilots.

Look forward to my next post, maybe later today, maybe tomorrow. See you then!

Posted (edited)

Howdy,

Did a short mission today. Still working towards orbital flight, just been busy lately.

Ir1ZTPr.png

Behold Skybound IV, the closest we've come so far to and orbit-capable spacecraft. In all honesty, it was a very standard mission that went very well, with surprisingly no Kerbal deaths (this time)!

gaE22yx.png

Bargan Kerman (ironically named that since I hired her at a bargain price) performs a short EVA to collect an EVA report as well as other science data from the attached module before re-entry.

E9LNZsH.png

Bargan lands on the very edge of the North Pole, but is able to perform another EVA to collect even more data, unlocking new rocket technology. Next, to orbit!

I will be continuing this, but my spare time is fairly limited. Keep an eye out for the next continuation of the Atmos adventure!

Edited by KSACheese