J5 - A KSP2 Jool 5, Single Launch, Over 70,000 points For Science!

Following is a Mission Report for my 18th launch in my KSP2 For Science! playthrough.  I already had For Science! missions for Tylo, Laythe, and Bop.  The game also thought I had already achieved the "Plant a flag on Pol" mission, but I didn't want to claim credit until I had actually done it.  So I needed 4 of the 5 moons anyway, might as well make a Jool 5 out of it!  I had not done a Jool 5 before, so this was a first for me.

Some highlights:

• 70,476 science points
  • Splashed and used a water probe on both Laythe and Vall - so both a splashdown and a landing on each of those moons
  • My first Jool 5, my first landing on any of the Jool moons, and my first return from Jool -- I had sent a one-way probe to Jool earlier in the playthrough
  • I used the same lander for Tylo, Vall, Pol, and Bop - although it had several "drop" components for its first use, on Tylo
  • I started the design, build, and test for this mission on 20 Apr 24, made the actual mission launch on 8 Jul 24, and completed the mission on 23 Aug 24

Vehicle Names.  I attempted to rename the vehicles within the game after each docking and undocking.  I might have missed a few.  Here are the vehicles, by name, that I'm referring to in the narrative, and that you should see in the screenshots:

• J5:  This is the entire vehicle during launch, and all the way until establishing initial orbit at Tylo.  After this, J5 is that part which carries the various landers on the various sorties.  With the exception of 1 kerbal in a lander, the other 4 kerbals are always aboard the J5.
  • Tylo Station:  This is the "remains" of the Kerbin to Jool transfer section.  Before completion of the Tylo Sortie, Tylo Station is put into a Very High Tylo Orbit (approx 10Mm).  Each sortie returns to Tylo Station to refuel and reconfigure for the following sortie.
  • Moonwalker:  This is the wheeled lander used on Tylo, Vall, Pol, and Bop.  Moonwalker contains several "drop" components initially, that are used only for Tylo and then are discarded.
  • Albatross:  This is the SSTO aircraft used for landing on Laythe and return to orbit.

Part 1:  Launch to LKO

kjlE3zn.png

Spoiler

Liftoff!
YggsSKs.jpeg

Drop 1st stage boosters
YUBFzdA.jpeg

Jettison fairings
xfWYaQs.png

Complete the orbit
3gAtOd2.png
KWMueQT.png

For each of the three 2nd stage boosters, I decoupled them, faced them Retrograde, and deorbited them, like this:
FJPHjDX.png
x9UdfSW.png

Part 2:  LKO to Jool System, Tylo Orbit

zS8Rccu.png

Spoiler

Setting up the Jool transfer
yg9jAkc.png

Jool transfer burn
zcir4xT.png

Working the Tylo encounter
O5mDwAb.png

Approaching Tylo and capture burn
mnCx51R.png
y6biyQU.png
6ORrybg.jpeg
mt0XbOs.png

Part 3:  Tylo Sortie

R6RtMQR.png

Spoiler

Docking J5 with Moonwalker
lPaSTZA.png

Establishing very low Tylo orbit
ZHrk3w2.png

Separated Moonwalker from J5
FP7mEh2.png

Discarded the docking port on the front of the Moonwalker nose drop tank.  I think this docking port is the only debris that I left in space, without deorbiting.
HS3wzBO.png

Tylo Landing.  This involved dropping fuel tanks twice.  I monitored on-board fuel levels during the entire burn, which was non-stop during the horizontal portion, and then intermittent during the vertical portion of the landing.  At the right fuel level points I transferred fuel from drop tanks, and dropped those tanks.  This took several landing trials during design and build, and then several landing trials during the mission.  
BtQ1qZx.png
hdCO6Yj.jpeg
P9QbD7o.png
3fdAUow.jpeg
AXQuHwq.jpeg
qY7KKC8.jpeg
q7ijZXh.png
uHS6tGR.png
YE5LSH1.png
49pR36F.jpeg
kqW1JAi.png

Once landed, I transferred all fuel out of the nose tank, and discarded it
AofkvxQ.png

I then did science at the landing location while the empty nose drop tank rolled down the hill.  Notice the fuel levels are almost full.  Plenty enough for the return to orbit later.
OeNDeyi.png

I then drove to the Tylo Monument, making one stop for science and a flag, and a second stop for science, along the way.
9eHEGPJ.png
Piq7nlC.jpeg
UwiGwxp.png
cIs6JRN.jpeg
C80gu0o.png
RvRgBTo.png
sIf2Mv2.jpeg
nuw9JYX.png
iro0LPj.png

I arrived at the Tylo Monument, did science, and got mission credit
oHB50oY.png
PLkaC1N.png
Va4Jmpe.png

Return to orbit.  I had two aircraft landing gear underneath the Moonwalker.  These created the Center of Mass pivot point that allowed me to raise the nose for liftoff.  I discarded these shortly after liftoff.  I also had two dart engines that were used for the landing, and for the initial ascent on this return to orbit.  I discarded these once the desired Ap was achieved.
NmiNKAN.png
j9dx1uj.png
QknX5dL.jpeg
6ZIXO68.png
fL0bIYb.png
JC0ytrG.png

Rendezvous and docking.  After an inclination change and a few other small orbital adjustments, I had a good rendezvous set up with J5.  This is where the game bit me for using such a low Tylo orbit.  By the time Moonwalker caught J5, we were already on the dark side of Tylo, and I couldn't see well enough to dock.  It took me several F5/F9 combinations, and several game saves and loads, before I finally got the docking done with some light left.
1hid9Nf.png
AJRBBtq.jpeg
sClPfRP.png

Establish Tylo Very High Orbit for Tylo Station.  First I decoupled an empty fuel tank from Tylo Station and deorbited it.
CD8xGEK.png
O6Bm4xu.png

Next, I raised the Ap of both J5 and Tylo Station to approximately the same value at approximately the same time.  They were relatively close to each other at Ap when I also raised each Pe.
4XxDDHu.png
iZd5qbd.png

After a few small orbital tweaks, I had a good rendezvous.
T3hjmQw.png
F3HESCv.png
787ePMY.png

I parked J5 approx 138m from Tylo Station, with zero relative velocity.
VqNtg06.png

The next mission is to Laythe, so we'll need to dock Moonwalker since we'll be picking up Albatross.  So I undocked Moonwalker from J5 and docked it with Tylo Station, then undocked Albatross, then docked J5, to end the Tylo Sortie.
AGEuEBC.png
6teP7cw.png
U6K336M.png
gf4F1zz.png

Part 4:  Laythe Sortie

OL7ydq8.png

Spoiler

Decouple the fuel tank to which J5 is docked.  This detaches J5 from Tylo Station, and begins the Laythe sortie.
AKCfa06.png

I also undocked the Laythe Probe, and moved Tylo Station out of the way so that J5 could approach the probe.  I then docked J5 with the Laythe Probe, and with Albatross
CWLTCAi.png
jbcdcXG.png
kkkn0Ps.png
3B3AADI.png

Transit to a polar orbit of Laythe
W4xxsgn.png
mXGQBoU.png
W7ZnUhj.png
sppZBzl.png

I transferred fuel from the counterweight fuel tank into the Laythe Probe, then deorbited that empty tank
ea5PtBY.png
uAQyOOM.png

I undocked the Laythe Probe, faced it Retrograde, and deorbited it to splash down near the mission target.
ArYgdIj.png
LiraeB2.png
jAk7tBe.png
z9l0eV4.png
THfvVSF.png
QxpToYe.png
qJHayZn.png

Next I undocked Albatross, and deorbited the extra docking port
445PStJ.png
4Uuc7Sm.png

Then deorbited and landed Albatross
tq9ZNSq.png
zPvUqGV.png
9DtifIQ.png
pQqlKua.png
7Zc4ZXD.png
g02Czhx.png
Oh5mjGm.png
7GsdcBB.png

I did science and planted a flag at the landing site
jhdgPB1.png
6M4cbCS.png
oaEzA8U.png

I had what I call the "Laythe time of day" bug.  Albatross's landing gear was stuck in the mud, and Newrim could only walk a few meters towards the water before he wanted to float in mid air as if he was floating in the water.  It too some effort until I could get Newrim into the water.  Newrim swam to the target to do science, swam to the probe to do the same, then swam and walked back to Albatross.
ydsmQFn.png
FoZukLs.png
dBY9rRH.png
wzZV2dx.png

The next morning, the landing gear were fine.  I activated the jet engine and got science credit for that mission.
4h6L5zY.png
cn0KyUi.png

Takeoff and return to orbit, and rendezvous with J5
NAcZ478.png
nzeE8HP.png
56zgadV.png
vyPS2X1.png
3Etk4Gr.png
pVvqEy4.png
qDicXNC.png
xA6ZB7n.png

Newrim transferred from Albatross to J5 via jetpack
cIGg3Oi.png
Z2h1DWk.png

Then I deorbited Albatross
jP5OXZy.png
n6fVHNk.png

Back to Tylo and Tylo Station
j3DbTLS.png
eB0kV4E.png
4cRw2tF.png
DAFsLrG.png
WCw0oKJ.png
eNzaX0J.png
4QMFTX3.png
jVRMeOc.png
aYefe6U.png

Docking with Tylo Station ended the Laythe Sortie
TFgVXJ9.png

Part 5:  Vall Sortie

vH7Z73N.png

Spoiler

The Vall sortie begins when we decouple the fuel tank with which J5 is docked to Tylo Station
j2ReG7A.png

I then undocked Moonwalker, undocked the Vall Probe, moved Tylo Station out of the way, and docked J5 with the Vall Probe and then Moonwalker
4z4Ma6u.png
Y87hZqd.png
DahjPl8.png
K0aW2wF.png

Next I transferred from Tylo Very High Orbit to Vall with only 0.39m/s of dV, using RCS, and I adjusted the result into a good Vall polar orbit with 19ms dV more.
a8SLwsz.png
Tz9epRI.png
Eq8mWx2.png
sI58DBI.png
xnHm6ii.png

Like Laythe, we'll have both a landing and a splashdown on Vall.  First up is to land Moonwalker.
NprrjEU.png
uYmjIiR.png
3YbQOtF.png
oghpDs1.png
q8r4lg0.jpeg
L1B7Vjh.png
maQZsQG.jpeg

Next, fuel the Vall Probe with the fuel from the counterweight fuel tank, and then deorbit that tank.
wOmsH3k.jpeg
EJRwYqd.png

Now splash the Vall Probe into what some people call The Scar, and what the game calls The Well.
IsbZ21k.png
u1cuzyc.jpeg
dLyKcuG.png
PWO7tSo.jpeg
yT5N1z0.jpeg
GDIPpEZ.jpeg
RlPoMcM.jpeg

Splashed down in The Well 44.3km from Moonwalker
OkqpwIj.png
qEUTgLe.jpeg

I returned to the Moonwalker, and did science and planted a flag at the landing site
WeGZRQz.jpeg
bWSSXEa.jpeg

Then I drove Moonwalker to The Well, to get as close as possible to the Vall Probe.
y2wgQN7.png
snK5YCv.jpeg
YFO9trr.jpeg
UuoOmds.jpeg
Qlp3KrY.jpeg
nDLIEgK.jpeg

I then had Erzon walk from Moonwalker towards The Well, in the direction of the Vall Probe
IfLo1U0.jpeg

Half way down the cliff face, Erzon was able to do Landed Well science.  He jumped the rest of the way down.
Q2eKiWt.jpeg
rV2Oe5E.jpeg

At the bottom, Erzon did Splashed Well science, then swam to the Vall Probe
jR1u9bA.png
vMwITpm.png
23huBSS.png
Wo2YAmo.png
Uw0nzHg.jpeg

Erzon did Splashed Well science with the probe.  Then he used the rocket to drive the probe up onto the "beach" and do Landed Well science there.  Notice how little the Splashed well science is worth, and how much the Landed Well science is worth.  Also notice that we can get Water Samples science even while Landed (not in the water).
MxTjoW0.jpeg
HJ4DLo9.png
2Q7VOFu.png
cyMMChh.png

Next, I rolled the Vall Probe down the "beach", and back into the water.  I oriented the probe towards Moonwalker, then flew the probe and landed 135m from Moonwalker.
amQKDLi.png
k4CrAkJ.jpeg
9Xbou6W.jpeg
A7PMVo2.png
B6mz9SB.png
SCcMG2h.jpeg
tQmjbN0.jpeg
fXLwCrc.jpeg
fBtEsxg.png
n9gkcZ4.png

Erzon got out of the Vall Probe and walked to Moonwalker
ybYHfUN.png
yJkxptg.png
eXjJ8DN.png

Liftoff, return to orbit, rendezvous, and dock with J5
hgdlTB4.png
BfpPU6S.jpeg
PMfUGaM.png
EX5VnNh.png
Jevx3o9.jpeg
PTdXsTM.png

Return to Tylo Very High Orbit, rendezvous, and dock with Tylo Station
jfNMlPj.png
X49kaF2.png
AuX2ec3.png
rr8DNf9.png
kb8qdVP.png

I docked in this way so that Moonwalker did not need to undock from J5.  This docking concludes the Vall Sortie.
R6L0JeU.png
GlAAEtm.png

Part 6:  Pol and Bop Sortie

gS64AOR.png

Spoiler

The undocking in the image above begins the Pol and Bop Sortie.  We'll do both moons before returning to Tylo Station.

I transited to a Bop polar orbit, undocked Moonwalker, and landed
bsys7D8.png
VQ1P4Rm.png
E4FVV4C.png
9yS6NSB.png
b7UdZMg.jpeg
VWSEmUE.jpeg
ImGcySW.jpeg
GTVtg54.jpeg
4Ni7PMH.jpeg
vHVv0pq.jpeg

I did Mountains science at the landing site, and I "planted a flag on Pol".  Hey, wait a second, that sounds familiar, right?  Yes, the game told me that I had planted a flag on Pol much earlier in the playthrough (on Minmus, I think).  I never took the science points credit for it, though, and wanted to make sure I actually planted a flag on Pol before doing so.
nVIL15g.jpeg
VOEczow.jpeg
0zjABsR.jpeg

I then slid down the hill and did Highlands science, then slid down a little further and did Lowlands science.  I was just very fortunate that I got all three regions (biomes) so easily, and so close to each other.
depPlMH.jpeg
VrwWcgO.jpeg

When I finally turned in the "Plant a flag on Pol" mission, I got the science points for that mission, and immediately received another mission to do a Radiation Observation in the Pol Lowlands.  Since I had just finished that science, I immediately got credit for this mission, too.
P1GPnAb.png
YuIHWCT.png

Pop a wheelie in preparation for liftoff
XgSowGp.jpeg

Liftoff, return to orbit, rendezvous, and dock with J5
WcxAJoI.jpeg
70cV2eE.jpeg
pEI6SwM.jpeg
Tto8ymE.jpeg
GH9jNLC.png

The transit from Pol to Bop required going first to the AN/DN with Bop, then matching planes, then doing a Hohmann Transfer, and finally adjusting for a polar flyby.
GoZT5ve.png
E5TTaeo.png
D7tWJHU.png
nxM0m2K.png
SmjZDLG.png

After capturing in that polar orbit, I undocked the Moonwalker and landed.
csGvIy8.png
6ALC9X5.png
wAiOajR.jpeg
r9Q9WXE.jpeg
ykldl9u.png
JZVKPCM.jpeg
qJLZarZ.jpeg
gnGACjX.png
VskAzwi.png
yCYC1Xf.png

I did science and planted a flag at the landing site
j8L64Vo.jpeg
HZmuZeb.png

Then I drove to the middle of the target area
H7buArf.png
wdQfGci.png
EN9BwRZ.png
bLeCseh.jpeg
p5GxYp7.jpeg

Doing science here satisfied the mission requirements
k0DmCsk.jpeg
8jgFwDM.png

Pop a wheelie in preparation for liftoff
9OcnsIZ.jpeg

Liftoff and head directly for rendezvous and docking, without establishing orbit first.
6ICFp8L.png
IgGa35Y.jpeg
VnqF9Db.jpeg
sN5kwH0.png
2DVNsJ2.png
QjpGP6W.png
CdaPT52.png
A7LZjGG.png
3QrZmBk.png

Return to Tylo Station from Bop required change of inclination around Bop from polar to equatorial, then transit to AN/DN with Tylo, then Hohmann Transfer, then several adjustments after Tylo capture, and several adjustments to get a good rendezvous, before the final docking.  The lighting is particularly bad for the last two images, because we were in a Tylo eclipse of Kerbol.  The docking here with Tylo Station ends the Pol and Bop Sortie.
EOtd1J9.png
snm3AYm.png
zEetKrN.png
cXFK8s4.png
QcwJBhR.png
K7EWBcf.png
9K4ICVK.png
OQlKTul.png
5348Fhw.png
zW9sbyL.png

Part 7:  Return to Kerbin

ZZSPymW.png

Spoiler

In the image above, you can see that we returned to Kerbin without the adapter and lab that were forward of the command pods.

I had a little trouble setting up a good encounter with Kerbin.  I used Alex Moon's tool to determine the right window, and it turned out that I was in the window already!  The best I could get was this close approach, which I was able to fix, into a very good flyby, after leaving the Jool SOI.
uL5ovZ0.png
tAQjBrA.png
D34iTHo.png

I was worried about coming in too fast, so I set up a burn that used almost all remaining dV, captured in Kerbin Low Orbit, and had a Pe at about 30km, on the sunny side of Kerbin.
c40vZZw.png
Rl4GtQ2.png
F3MXhfI.png

I jettisoned the fuel tank and engine aft of the heatshield, returned to Retrograde, and rode it on in.  Atmospheric entry, chute deployment, and splashdown were quite nominal.
R34MZUs.png
t7y2UIl.png
XwONi5X.png
UT6dsEX.png
yBpwZnK.png
g7lyaFY.png
hWqVA3C.png
so1m05b.png
h3u1zx9.png
S6DFBwM.png
sJgi7fs.png
dNc8GXL.png

At launch for this mission, I had 938 science points.  Therefore, this mission provided 25,000 science points from For Science! missions, 22,271 from Samples, and 23,205 from Data - for a total of 70,476 science points from this mission.
Qiw49dO.png

What's next?  I'm definitely planning to finish my For Science! playthrough.  I have missions to Eeloo and Dres, perhaps I'll do both in the same mission.  Then I have the grand finale of Eve and Gilly.

Edited by Poppa Wheelie