[1.12] Van's KSC [0.21]

=Van's KSC=

Ever felt like the default KSC runway is way too short or narrow? Worry no more.

my4tfys.jpeg

Description

This is a Kerbal Konstructs config aimed at expanding the stock KSC and making it way more spaceplane friendly. Whether you're struggling with taking off or landing, new launch sites added by this config aim to help you in your aeronautic endeavours. No more wingstrikes or runway overruns... hopefully.

New launch sites

A 5000 meter long, 145 meter wide runway. Heading: 90 degrees.

A 4800 meter long, 70 meter wide runway. Heading: 90 degrees.

Two 3250 meter long and 90 meter wide intersecting runways. 90 and 150 degrees headings.

Two large helipads near the 5km runway. Each is approximately 110 meters in diameter.

A small group of helipads in the middle of the space center.

Two water spawn points located near a large pier north  of the main center. 0 and 90 degrees headings.

New statics

A group of large dish arrays west of the KSC. Those look especially great during sunsets.

A network of roads connecting all launch sites. Some roads might be a bit bumpy.

Six landing pads for reusable rockets.

A lot of buildings that, hopefully, will help to make the scenery a bit more lively.

KVzruvF.png

Which side are you on?

xQNtfie.png

Screenshots

=Imgur=

Download

=SpaceDock=

Installation

Make sure to properly install all dependencies listed below.

Drop the VansKSC folder into your GameData.

Upon entering SPH, make sure to open and enable the launchsites you need in the KK launchsite selector.

Dependencies

Kerbal Konstructs

Omega's Stockalike Structures: NTR

KerbinSide Remastered

ModuleManager

Known issues

As smooth as it all looks from above, some roads, crawlerways and grid blocks might be bumpy. Be careful and don't overspeed.

Some roads are also prone to levitation. I'm working on it.

Support

Stock Kerbin. Sadly, that's it for now, although JNSQ support is expected to appear soon-ish. I'm also hoping to add support for other planet packs

Conflicts

Any homeswitch planet packs and/or ones that scale the home planet up.

Other custom KSC configs.

Special thanks

Thanks to @JadeOfMaar for helping out with figuring the config syntax and providing an example of homeswitch compatibility configs!

Changelog

Spoiler

0.2 - Initial public release
0.21 - Added "support" for Parallax. There is now a MapDecal that removes the scatters around the KSC. No more trees growing from concrete.

Edited by vanlaukaus

10 minutes ago, SheepDog2142 said:

Ive been waiting for this after seeing it on reddit. Looks amazing! Hopefully it doesnt have the green smear "grass" others do when paralax is installed.

Me too! is an epiphany to find a ksc focused on aircraft
Btw, I'm afraid Parallax will overlap
IyrpSTs.jpeg

Edited by SartinMax

11 minutes ago, SheepDog2142 said:

Ive been waiting for this after seeing it on reddit. Looks amazing! Hopefully it doesnt have the green smear "grass" others do when paralax is installed.

Haven't tested it with Parallax, actually. Let me know how it goes, perhaps there will be a mapdecal needed.

7 minutes ago, vanlaukaus said:

Haven't tested it with Parallax, actually. Let me know how it goes, perhaps there will be a mapdecal needed.

Im testing now and it has a few issues. 1 the trees and 2 the building grass portion looks really terrible. Also Paralax continued dropped recently so you may want to consider supporting that version as well.

pRsAose.jpeg

3 minutes ago, SheepDog2142 said:

Im testing now and it has a few issues. 1 the trees and 2 the building grass portion looks really terrible. Also Paralax continued dropped recently so you may want to consider supporting that version as well.

Whoops. Let me see what I can do about the scatters. Pretty sure a MapDecal will work regardless of Parallax version installed.

I'm less certain about grass colors, though. Not sure it is possible to apply Parallax texturing to KK statics at all, so just matching grass color as accurately as possible might be the only way.

3 minutes ago, vanlaukaus said:

Whoops. Let me see what I can do about the scatters. Pretty sure a MapDecal will work regardless of Parallax version installed.

I'm less certain about grass colors, though. Not sure it is possible to apply Parallax texturing to KK statics at all, so just matching grass color as accurately as possible might be the only way.

I know the grass is not required but if the point of the mod is to help the game look better than I think its relevant. Also I think since it can be done to stock buildings there's got to be code somewhere to apply it here as well.

3 minutes ago, SheepDog2142 said:

I know the grass is not required but if the point of the mod is to help the game look better than I think its relevant. Also I think since it can be done to stock buildings there's got to be code somewhere to apply it here as well.

I could just switch all grass segments to be concrete... Wonder if that'll look better.

1 minute ago, vanlaukaus said:

I could just switch all grass segments to be concrete... Wonder if that'll look better.

It actually might. The separation would look more natural. Would be a good initial fix at least.

41 minutes ago, SheepDog2142 said:

It actually might. The separation would look more natural. Would be a good initial fix at least.

Just realized what the problem with that is. KerbinSide's and OSSNTR's default concrete colors are quite different, and since it isn't a preset, there is no way to tweak those colors in-game. Guess I have some figuring out to do.

As for the Parallax fix, I'm finishing downloading it right now. Gonna upload 0.21 to Spacedock in a bit; may even throw Navutilities runway support in while I'm at it.

Spoiler

ncvt9RQglVE.jpg?size=1158x1166&quality=9

2 minutes ago, vanlaukaus said:

Just realized what the problem with that is. KerbinSide's and OSSNTR's default concrete colors are quite different, and since it isn't a preset, there is no way to tweak those colors in-game. Guess I have some figuring out to do.

As for the Parallax fix, I'm finishing downloading it right now. Gonna upload 0.21 to Spacedock in a bit; may even throw Navutilities runway support in while I'm at it.

Hide contents

ncvt9RQglVE.jpg?size=1158x1166&quality=9

Nav Utilities support would be great!

You should get this up on Github. Might be able to help you with some things if I see anything I can do a pull request for. Plus its just good to have up there. Ive done more testing and the performance is surprisingly good. If the grass and scatter terrain issues could be fixed this would rivial the KSP2 space center and really help the game not look so dated.

Ever felt like the default KSC runway is way too short or narrow?

Yes. Definitely yes. All the time. :D
My current game is in JNSQ, so definitely looking forward to that particular "soon."

if anyone figures out a fix for the grass color, i know a lot of people who would be very happy about it.  i don't remember it being a problem before when Parallax first came out, but it was the first thing i noticed when i recently came back to KSP, I took a long break while i was hoping KSP 2 would someday be playable.......alas it looks like that day will never come now so im back to KSP 1

13 hours ago, Captain Mathus said:

if anyone figures out a fix for the grass color, i know a lot of people who would be very happy about it.  i don't remember it being a problem before when Parallax first came out, but it was the first thing i noticed when i recently came back to KSP, I took a long break while i was hoping KSP 2 would someday be playable.......alas it looks like that day will never come now so im back to KSP 1

I feel like theres so much Modder focus on making planets look better that the KSC dosent get much advancement in graphics. However we spend so much time there that there really should me more of a focus to get it looking as good if not better than ksp2s KSC.

@SheepDog2142@Captain Mathus Situation update: I asked Linx about automatically applying Parallax' PBR to KK statics' grass. It looks like this is not a thing so far, but he did tell me that some people have already requested this so it will be given a higher priority.
The best I can do for now, I'm afraid, is picking a color that'd just blend in as much as possible. I'll see what I can do.

18 minutes ago, vanlaukaus said:

@SheepDog2142@Captain Mathus Situation update: I asked Linx about automatically applying Parallax' PBR to KK statics' grass. It looks like this is not a thing so far, but he did tell me that some people have already requested this so it will be given a higher priority.
The best I can do for now, I'm afraid, is picking a color that'd just blend in as much as possible. I'll see what I can do.

It is what it is. Thanks for the update. Atleast its on the right peoples radar now.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, SheepDog2142 said:

It is what it is. Thanks for the update. Atleast its on the right peoples radar now.

Yup, nothing we can do but wait for now.
Check the SpaceDock page, by the way: just uploaded a version with a mapdecal that removes large Parallax scatters. Also recolored the landing pads' grass to a darker shade of green - the colors still don't match perfectly, but it is better than it was.

Edited by vanlaukaus

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, MrShelter said:

Hey, I feel little stupid, but how do I select all those different launch sites? I didn't understand the KK GUI in the VAB/SPH window

Hey there.
Firstly, press the KK toolbar button (1) and find the launchsite you're interested in in the selector (2). My sites are located at the bottom under airfields added by KerbinSide.
Then click on that launchsite. Now you need to open it (3) in the Base Manager window. After doing so, click "Set as Launchsite" back in the selector (4).

Spoiler

xqCzizHyr54.jpg?size=785x779&quality=95&

After this you will be able to set this launchsite as default. Alternatively, it will appear in the stock selector under the button you launch your crafts with.

Spoiler

pTvCMHjzv6s.jpg?size=257x193&quality=95&

Edited by vanlaukaus

29 minutes ago, vanlaukaus said:

Yup, nothing we can do but wait for now.
Check the SpaceDock page, by the way: just uploaded a version with a mapdecal that removes large Parallax scatters. Also recolored the landing pads' grass to a darker shade of green - the colors still don't match perfectly, but it is better than it was.

Nice I will check it out. If it looks to barren around it would you be able to add the trees around the new building or is that not possible?

1 minute ago, SheepDog2142 said:

Nice I will check it out. If it looks to barren around it would you be able to add the trees around the new building or is that not possible?

There are no tree statics in the KK packs that I'm using. However, I can replace one big MapDecal that sterilizes the entire peninsula with a lot of small ones that will only be clearing zones with buildings in them. A bit worried about the potential performance issues on low-end PCs, but that will surely look significantly better.

3 minutes ago, vanlaukaus said:

There are no tree statics in the KK packs that I'm using. However, I can replace one big MapDecal that sterilizes the entire peninsula with a lot of small ones that will only be clearing zones with buildings in them. A bit worried about the potential performance issues on low-end PCs, but that will surely look significantly better.

Would there be a way to a setting to turn it on or off in a config? It would suck to loose all the trees and details.