How to add a dockingNode in unity???

Adie123

Great so we lost several months of posts :(.. Been waiting a week to reread the dockingNode Unity tutorial as im stuck at adding one to my objects.

Can anyone aid me and others on how to get it working? I know naming the object dockingNode (case sensitive) is required but must be something else that i missed. I read the post prior to the forums crashing and thought i could come back to it later (5 hours) when im at home and able to use the info, but alas the forums crashed and with it alot of important threads/posts have been swallowed up by the space kraken.

Edited by Adie123

Ive just checked my object in unity and the axs alignment is exactly the same. So either i need a hierachy similar to what youve shown or its possibly because im trying to dock a vanilla dockingport with my little cube dockingnode?

Ive just checked my object in unity and the axs alignment is exactly the same. So either i need a hierachy similar to what youve shown or its possibly because im trying to dock a vanilla dockingport with my little cube dockingnode?

Make sure you are viewing the local axis, not the global axis.

Make sure you are viewing the local axis, not the global axis.

Yeh its axis are aligned correct. maybe you guys can decipher the issue with this info. I see my dockingNode object when in VAB or SPH but when i go into game world its disappeared. Any clues?.. I previously tested using Part Triggers on its layer, which caused the object to disappear. They show up now, after putting layer back to default, but still not acting like a docking node.

The dockingNode object sits on other objects that make the whole part. Everything else looks and acts as it should.

Edited by Adie123

I see my dockingNode object when in VAB or SPH but when i go into game world its disappeared.

I think you may be getting it confused with an attach node. If you're after an attach node like the uncovered ports rather than just a docking node like the covered/inline ports you need to add that separately.

I think you may be getting it confused with an attach node. If you're after an attach node like the uncovered ports rather than just a docking node like the covered/inline ports you need to add that separately.

Nope no confusion i dont want an attach node, which i assume you mean node_attach_top, etc in the cfg. i want a actual docking node that is like a magnet just like the other vanilla docking ports.

and i found the reason why the objects disappeared out of the buildings. tested the object with part triggers layer at some stage to get it working. putting layer to default enabled them as being visible again.

Edited by Adie123

Are there any known problems with incorporating multiple modules that include a docking node onto a single part? Say for example combining the functionality of a fuel tank and docking port? Or does the docking port need to be its own dedicated part like the ASAS?

Are there any known problems with incorporating multiple modules that include a docking node onto a single part? Say for example combining the functionality of a fuel tank and docking port? Or does the docking port need to be its own dedicated part like the ASAS?

Yes, Right clicking the part will bring up multiple duplicate actions and youll have to guess which action applies to which docking node.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

u need a empty game object in unity called dockingNode, and add referenceAttachNode = dockingNode in cfg

made 1 and it works so happy docking :)

edit: dockingNode is where it will dock (duhh<me)

Edited by vegany