[0.21.1] Ordan Industries Telescope! Last Updated August 23, 2013!

hubbazoot

Any way to get it the same as the big telescope?

Yes, but it's possible in the same sense that it's possible to get an engine to require no fuel: possible, but not fair. :D

I mainly took out the higher zoom levels because of instability in the part, which is one of the main reasons the big scope is such a standalone part.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else try this mod in 0.21 yet? I'm wondering if my activating the telescope on the pad, then reverting to the VAB was the cause of this (but more testing will have to wait for tomorrow):

0rUKFMg.jpg

Indeed. From this point, exiting to the KSC only brings up a black screen (with the exit button at the bottom) and I have to completely exit KSP to continue.

I was able to reproduce this somewhat reliably with just the Ordan Telescope mod installed (and, so far, not at all with no mods), so I'm wondering if anyone else can duplicate it as well. Here's the steps:

0) Start KSP with only Stock parts & Ordan installed (no other mods).

1) In the VAB, create a 2-part ship consisting of a small lander can and the (small) Ordan Industries telescope on top.

2) Launch the ship and wait for physics to settle.

3) Right-click + Activate the camera (i.e. look through it)

4) While looking through the camera, zoom in and out (mouse wheel), and wiggle the capsule back and forth (QWEASD)

5) Now hit escape and revert to the VAB.

The odd thing is that usually, if I didn't wiggle the lander can back and forth while looking through the camera, this wouldn't occur (although it might have happened once). Its as if the lander can is somehow becoming entangled into the scenery.

(So now Jeb is looking at this giant chunk of terrain sitting in the VAB, and saying "Uh, guys? We're gonna need a lot more boosters...)

Edited by Kaleb

I haven't tried the big telescope yet, but the small telescope generally works fine... as long as you don't try looking through it on the launchpad, like I did. :blush:

I'm actually wondering if the larger telescope will need to be updated, since it is listed as a command pod.

Edited by Kaleb

I'm not sure if this mod will function anymore without some tweaks. I haven't tried it in 0.21 yet but I recall that update no longer renders the planets unless you are close enough to them. I know the Lazor Systems standalone camera had a powerful enough zoom to see some planets, even from the surface of Kerbin, but now when I try to zoom in on them, there's nothing there.

I'm not sure if this mod will function anymore without some tweaks. I haven't tried it in 0.21 yet but I recall that update no longer renders the planets unless you are close enough to them. I know the Lazor Systems standalone camera had a powerful enough zoom to see some planets, even from the surface of Kerbin, but now when I try to zoom in on them, there's nothing there.

It doesn't work. You can see Eve and maybe Duna depending on their orbits, but the other planets are too far away.

Hmm. I was gonna try this mod, then reading this thread I said no and thought "too bad." Now I'm gonna try it again. :D

It's worth trying even if you have trouble looking through the scope. After all, when the next patch comes out, you can already have some observatories (or spy satellites) in orbit!

I love any mod that gives me a reason to launch a rocket for a reason other than "because."

Update: I installed this and it's pretty good, but there are some issues with it. The orbit tracks of the planets in map view are all wonky. I could see Moho, Eve, Duna and Dres, but no joy on Jool. Dres looked funny, as well. Also, once I got in "Activate Camera" mode, I couldn't figure out how to get out of it. Clicking "Activate GUI" on the external view of the telescope did nothing.

Update again: put "activate camera" on an action group. Problem solved.

From the Edwin P. Kerman Space Telescope:

2dSxiew.jpg

I take it back, you can see Jool:

Eh17V9N.png

Edited by DChurchill

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, man. This mod is really cool, but I've had a few problems...

This mod causes my game to crash whenever I try to revert a flight that has any parts of the mod in it. If I try to revert the Kerbal X it works fine but with a craft that has parts from Ordan Industries this it causes it to crash when I revert to VAB.

Also, it seems that the large telescope has crew capacity. When I select crew, say when I launch from the launch pad or crew roster in the VAB, there are apparently three seats for the Kerbals to sit in, although they don't appear in the lower-right hand of the screen in-flight.

I don't know if these things are related. It would be nice to get some insight into what I could do to fix it, because this mod is super nifty. Nice work, hubbazoot :D

Hey, man. This mod is really cool, but I've had a few problems...

This mod causes my game to crash whenever I try to revert a flight that has any parts of the mod in it. If I try to revert the Kerbal X it works fine but with a craft that has parts from Ordan Industries this it causes it to crash when I revert to VAB.

Also, it seems that the large telescope has crew capacity. When I select crew, say when I launch from the launch pad or crew roster in the VAB, there are apparently three seats for the Kerbals to sit in, although they don't appear in the lower-right hand of the screen in-flight.

I don't know if these things are related. It would be nice to get some insight into what I could do to fix it, because this mod is super nifty. Nice work, hubbazoot :D

I'm glad you like the mod. I'm no longer supporting this mod, however, as the plugin it uses to function is no longer supported. I'll keep it up, but I don't plan on doing any more development on it in the near future.

I'm glad you like the mod. I'm no longer supporting this mod, however, as the plugin it uses to function is no longer supported. I'll keep it up, but I don't plan on doing any more development on it in the near future.

Yesterday Albert VDS posted a forked dll to fix the camera issues that was plaguing the older dll.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/46365-Hullcam-VDS-Mechjeb-hullcam-fork-fixed-VAB-SPH-bug

what kind of new parts would people like if this were updated?

Smaller telescopes? Telescope lenses that allow me to custom-build a probe around it? :) i.e. a single flat bit I can slap atop a probe core, and then fill in the rest?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.