[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

Did anyone ever figure out why the Buran Arm goes all wobbly crazy when trying to move cargo out of the bay in orbit?

I am using the stock Buran launcher, with a decoupler mounted against the rear wall and a station module stacked in with it. If i simply release the coupler the module will drift free, but then i cant control it or extend its solar panels or anything. I had hoped to lift it clear and then use the arm to bring it up against the docking ring.

The modules I have attempted this with have been very small (just the 4-way adapter with clampotrons and a crewtank), and large (enough parts that it fills the cargo bay and looks like something that was really flown to ISS).

I have tried it with sas on and off, rcs on and off, and with and without mechjeb doing anything. Using caplock to make small, slow moves puts the moment of catastrophe off for a bit, but as soon as i try to lift it clear of the bay i have oscillation feedback and parts drifting away.........

Many Kerbals have died trying to work out this issue.

Strut the arm.

That will help a lot with the oscillations but honestly I've never had successful results with any of those arms. I'm looking at switching to the Damned Robotics arm.

Unfortunately KSP physics might just be in the way...

NASA's still working on a rover they moved to a second prototype that can be used as a space ship to.

someone please make a mod out of this

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/technology/space_exploration_vehicle/index.html

OMG YES. That is one sexy piece of rocket tech. I'd love to have that as a command pod or rover cockpit or station observation dome....

Edited by Starwaster

Sorry to be a pain again, but has anybody ever had any of their vehicles randomly explode when switched to? this is the fifth time that my MIR station has randomly exploded when switching to it (via the [ ] keys) i have also had the Buran shuttle randomly explode (this time not due to oscillations) while carrying strutted cargo. the Mir station was completely stable, it wasn't moving at all, just in a 90,000 Km orbit, and then BOOM. gone. no debris hit it, does anybody have any ideas as to what is happening? or is it another of KSP's unsolvable bugs? :) (All of the parts used were part of the soviet pack)

Sorry to be a pain again, but has anybody ever had any of their vehicles randomly explode when switched to? this is the fifth time that my MIR station has randomly exploded when switching to it (via the [ ] keys) i have also had the Buran shuttle randomly explode (this time not due to oscillations) while carrying strutted cargo. the Mir station was completely stable, it wasn't moving at all, just in a 90,000 Km orbit, and then BOOM. gone. no debris hit it, does anybody have any ideas as to what is happening? or is it another of KSP's unsolvable bugs? :) (All of the parts used were part of the soviet pack)

I have had this issue when I build something too large. There may be multiple causes, but I think at least one of them is the game's physics engine.

If you have too many parts or the total weight gets too high the game can get buggy and start exploding vehicles.

Its a issue with the plugin for the robot arm/docking cam/laser system ( all use the same basic plugin ). On the space center screen you will see a menu in the top left corner over the SPH. In that menu change the load distance back to default. It's the only thing I know of to stop it from happening.

90,00 km! That's probably near minmus/out of kerbins SOI, how'd you manage that!

I think there's a bug in the game associated with the physics and changing craft with the '[' and ']' keys. It suspends the physics then reactivates them in some cases I think (at least that's what BobCat mentioned) and can cause issues with craft exploding. I don't think it's wholly related to the Romfarer plugin actually (it might aggravate it, or you may be thinking of a different issue that Romfarer tried to 'fix' with the launch towers?) as it's happened to me without that installed, in fact it's happened to me with a stock game before now (although it was 0.20.0) so I think it's a bug in KSP. I have found it doesn't happen if you use the map screen to switch or go back to the Tracking Station and switch that way (although the latter will unload some things like KAS winch lines and stuff so it's no ideal). It may also be worth trying turning off the ASAS on any craft in the scene before switching. It may be related to ASAS wobble.

hhmm, ok, i'll try switching with the map view, and sorry Darth, I did mean to say 90,000m :) as for the ship size, i was using just the Mir modules, so there were hardly any parts on it at all! probably 30 at most.

I really love this mod pack but at the moment I can't use it because it crashes my game when I try to launch spacecraft. I would really appreciate it if you could look into this and hopefully be able to fix it.

I really love this mod pack but at the moment I can't use it because it crashes my game when I try to launch spacecraft. I would really appreciate it if you could look into this and hopefully be able to fix it.

try reducing the ammount of mods you have

This thing has been happening to me as well, and I can find no solution. KSP seems to have a problem that if you switch vessels from too far away, they'll just blow up. It even happened to Scott Manley with his munbase.

i'm having trouble grabbing the solar panels is there a mod needed to move them during an EVA?
You need to have KAS installed. If you are running 0.20.2 delete the KAS.dll plugin from the BobCatInd directory and install the one from the Spaceport.

I have this problem as well, and i have KAS installed. Any help?

KAS has been updated and the method BobCat used doesn't work anymore. The next update should have it fixed.

try reducing the ammount of mods you have

It's not this sadly; it crashed the game on launchpad in earlier versions even in a completely clean KSP install, and the latest Soviet Pack crashes the game even before you get to the title screen now... Obviously it's working fine for many people, but there's a conflict somewhere for many of us, and it's not with other mods alas.

Are they still doing tests with the MMSEV? I haven't seen any news about it on NASA.gov or youtube. Hasn't it been set aside for a while after CxP?
Yes, they are still using them for the Desert RATS field tests/tests at JSC, also apparently if your a co-op too. The LER was redesigned to be used on multiple missions after CxP was cancelled/re-purposed, hence MMSEV.
Oops...sorry...
It's all good.
Some accuses the Obama administration some says it was the senate (not sure how much and what way the two are related to each other). But I miss the Ares 1 altough it was only tested once but the entire 1st stage was reusable and i guess it would be much economical than the space shuttle was or SLS will be.

Of course for just crew to low earth orbit launch.

So, prez. wanted to completely cancel Cxp, and the Senate and House put up a fight. We ended up with a re-purposed Orion/MPCV and SLS, and the administration and Congress agreed to that. To be fair the Ares I had some major engineering hurdles that kept pushing back the first crewed flight, and Orion was way too overweight (a co-op told me it still is overweight but I don't believe him). SLS is a much more directly shuttle derived design that would have been much faster to get flying if we would have started with that design from the get go; the problem now is all the budget cuts Congress.

So im going to start up a donation series for some of the recommended Modders of the community. Want to know what people think about getting that going for 3-5 of the main contributors? Hell if we all pitched in for 5-10 bucks each, we could put some serious cash in the hands of some of the people that have made KSP worth playing for the last 2 months....

So how long till I get another written warning from the Skunk???

Dren

-snip-

So, prez. wanted to completely cancel Cxp, and the Senate and House put up a fight. We ended up with a re-purposed Orion/MPCV and SLS, and the administration and Congress agreed to that. To be fair the Ares I had some major engineering hurdles that kept pushing back the first crewed flight, and Orion was way too overweight (a co-op told me it still is overweight but I don't believe him). SLS is a much more directly shuttle derived design that would have been much faster to get flying if we would have started with that design from the get go; the problem now is all the budget cuts Congress.

Well lets start some sort of mutiny against Congress (Even though I am Canadian)! Oh, who are these nice NSA people at the door? I mean, it would be for space, right? Right?!?

So im going to start up a donation series for some of the recommended Modders of the community. Want to know what people think about getting that going for 3-5 of the main contributors? Hell if we all pitched in for 5-10 bucks each, we could put some serious cash in the hands of some of the people that have made KSP worth playing for the last 2 months....

So how long till I get another written warning from the Skunk???

Dren

I would donate in a hot second...

The time that these devs put in to create these addons is above and beyond...

But I do want to add this...

I'm on a development team that rights custom Roms for Andriod phones and tablets, and I'm one of the only guys on the team that does not have a donation button in my sig...

A little extra pocket money or a free phone to help out with porting a rom to another phone is always nice. But for me the real payoff is reading all of the thanks and all of the people that are going crazy for the next update and the new features.

Just saying......

Does anyone have a link to the 1.8.4 version of the Soviet Pack please? I've created a 0.20.0 version of KSP to roll back too (rather than lose all my saved games in the immediate future) and I thought I would try and help locate the problem with the Soviets some of us were having. However, moving the 1.8.5 and 1.8.7 into the correct folders in .20 KSP causes the same error, it crashes during the initial load... thus I'd like to get the version I had working in .20 again to cross check.

Because separation looks silly, among other things. I hope BobCat reworks the Energia and Buran, I've already sent him some ideas about them.