[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

I decided to test the ares 1 + orion without putting the docking port on, and what do you know. Started grav turn at 8km, and then stage sep of the SRB, and the 2nd stage stayed under control of MechJeb.

I found the same, without the dockport part fitted it flies perfectly. With the dockport fitted it falls over. I removed one ModuleParachute entry from the dockport part.cfg and it's *better* but not perfect. I could just adjust my gravity turn I suppose but it seems

As for the off center thing you're experiencing, I'm not getting it. Orion doesn't want to twang or zang or even zip zibbity zabble.

When I have more time I will install the American Pack on a stock 0.22 install and see what it does. I really need to do a Fraps video of it. It might be something else I have installed that's screwing with it, I dunno.

I was testing using LazTek's Falcon 9 v1.1 yesterday and a ProcFairings interstage under the Orion. Only other mod was a AR202 glued on the Orion pod... SURELY that wasn't what was throwing it off centre??

BobCat: The Neptune panel looks AWESEOME :D - do your panels support placing extra cameras like the ALCOR pod has?

Edited by MDBenson

Hi,

who's maintaining this pack science tree? I tried playing career and had to not use these parts, because it becomes just too easy. You have everything right away and can go to Mun. I think that removing the orbital module, docking port and the third stage could make it reasonable harder.

Also some parts absent in tech tree. Like Mir Core or some Progress parts.

I think the fact that the old panel is just being covered by the new one is hilarious!

Like someone just glued the new one on top.

Yeah, it looks quite funny, but I think it's not a good thing in the long run. Fine for testing, but for the best effect, the old panel and VZOR would be removed.

Hey Bobcat, look what I just found: Picture%2B4.png

There's the Boeing CST-100, and some Kliper-like things. Heck, there's even the old Soviet Almaz, which someone proposed for use as an american spacecraft.

Possible inspiration for the American pack?

Mm... American pack now have multycrew perfect Orion. For what other?

Variation? There's already two types of soyuz, and a kliper. Of course, it's your choice whether you want to do anything, I'm not going to complain either way.

Tiberion is doing a CST-100. Also, Excalibur-Almaz is a Russian private spaceflight company, which is planning to re-use the VAs from TKS project and add their own service modules. I'd rather see a TKS (seeing as they actually flew, just without the crew), especially that BobCat already has modeled what amounts to a TKS FGB module (it's the rear part of all MIR modules).

No new stuff soon. No Soviet and no American new craft in soon update.

Im full remake Soviet pack , and this very hard job. New pack be split for many parts (Soyuz+Progres, Buran and Kliper, Mir station etc ) and be FAR compatibility i think.

Example IRL working controlled descent profile.

soyuz04.jpg

Edited by BobCat

That's OK, I'm really interested in this remake. :) BTW, did you get my e-mail? I sent you a lot of nice pictures and technical bits about various Soviet spacecraft.

Im full remake Soviet pack , and this very hard job. New pack be split for many parts (Soyuz+Progres, Buran and Kliper, Mir station etc ) and be FAR compatibility i think.

Great news about us...and i wish you you have patience bro!

Thanks about your creative work!

Edited by CERVERUS

You're remaking the soviet pack!? That's gotta be a lot of work. A lot indeed. Anyway, don't you think the Kliper should be bundled with the soyuz/progress, as it's launched on the Soyuz rocket? It would make more sense for the Buran to be standalone.

Great news, BobCat. I look forward to the new version of these craft, they. Soyuz and Proton are already the most used launchers I have in KSP. I've even created heavier versions of Proton (using Soviet-style strap-on liquid boosters from NovaPunch) for lifting big cargo and cargo + crew flights. Also, the Soviet pack has taught me a lot about Soviet space programs and craft, stuff I didn't know before playing KSP with your craft. Many thanks and keep up the good work :D

Oh, well. TBH, it was a bit redundant. Also, I found that all Soyuzes had thermal blankets like the TMA, they were just green (much like those on your LOK) instead of black on earlier versions (up to Soyuz ASTP, I think). Since the old Soyuz was missing them, it wasn't really correct. So don't worry about it.

So, im also have bad news, in future update im remove old Soyuz ship, because im lost all 3d and texture files, i cant uptade them.

Awwww, that's sad. The old version did look quite funny, where the TMA is more serious bussiness. An as MDBenson said, your mods - along with the FASA mod - have actually thaught me quite a lot of spacefaring history.

So, im also have bad news, in future update im remove old Soyuz ship, because im lost all 3d and texture files, i cant uptade them.

I agree, it's no great loss, I never use it, I always use the TMA version as I'm usually doing 'modern' flights.

BobCat you can use the .mu importer to recover your models for blender. I've used it to look your models before.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43513-Blender-mu-import-export-addon

Yeah, there's .mu exporter, but I think that maintaining old Soyuz is a bit of a waste of time. It's supposed to have the thermal blankets, which would make it look just like a Soyuz TMA with a slightly different OM. Since it appears to be a Soyuz-T (it's got flat panels and a normal Soyuz docking port, no front window and an Igla docking system), that would mean literally no other difference, unless BobCat wants to make a realistic RCS system for both (it won't even be green, since T model already used black).

BTW, BobCat, if you do want to make an older Soyuz with a realistic RCS system, I can send you the data I gathered.

I tested the Ares-I Orion on a stock 0.22 install with and without MechJeb2 and can confirm that the Orion 'twang' under thurst issue was not related to either the American Pack or MechJeb 2.1. Still looking into it. Bit confused now. May have been ProcFairings. Will just use Ares I to launch it for the time being.