[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

That's an issue with the Romfarer mod that enables the docking cameras and the Buran arm. Update the Romfarer Lazor Docking Camera mod using the 0.20 version from the Spaceport. That should solve the problem. (The fix is having the supports self-destruct on launch; the old Romfarer .dll didn't do that when moved into 0.20.)

EDIT: Also, I think the updated Soviet pack includes a plugin folder with the Romfarer.dll. When you update as above, you need to REMOVE this and the romfarer file in the "plugin data" folder. The updated Romfarer mod uses the new file system, so the one BobCat embedded in the pack isn't needed after updating.

Thanks for the tip.

That's an issue with the Romfarer mod that enables the docking cameras and the Buran arm. Update the Romfarer Lazor Docking Camera mod using the 0.20 version from the Spaceport. That should solve the problem. (The fix is having the supports self-destruct on launch; the old Romfarer .dll didn't do that when moved into 0.20.)

EDIT: Also, I think the updated Soviet pack includes a plugin folder with the Romfarer.dll. When you update as above, you need to REMOVE this and the romfarer file in the "plugin data" folder. The updated Romfarer mod uses the new file system, so the one BobCat embedded in the pack isn't needed after updating.

This did indeed solve my exploding Buran; I deleted everything in the KSP\PluginData folder and downloaded just the Lazor Camera mod which now goes into KSP\Gamedata... one successful and happy launch followed!

Regarding the Kliper, I had to rescale every part to 1.0 to get it to clip together, doing just the nose and pod meant the lower wing then didn't fit. And it was off to try and build a Soyuz U beneath it.... this wasn't easy as the Kliper video at the start shows the engine shrouds on (the orange covering) so the parts weren't easy to identify visually without pausing and checking rough location, as the names have changed a little too. However the included PDF managed to get me correctly set up! I would still recommend a completed craft file for all of them to allow ease of quick play however.

And once more, thank you! Now to see if the Kliper will fly too... and experiment with Buran loadouts; I wonder if with extra fuel and a can inside I can use it as a Munar transfer vehicle, without falling over on the launchpad...

Edit: Nope, I'm getting a fatal crash every time I try and load the Kliper/Soyuz combination from the VAB to the pad. "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error". This is in Windows XP 32bit. I can get the Kliper launched by loading it on the pad instead however.

Edited by Titler

In regards to the comments about the ESA ATV service module, that one in most of the pictures is just for the planned flight tests in 2014/2015. From what I can tell it's just an adaptation of the Centaur upper stage. Since the SLS rocket won't be ready to fly, and the Orion section will be ready to test, they're going to load it onto a Delta IV Heavy. Test it unmanned, then try a couple more times with crew on board.

Interesting side note, the flight will only consist of two orbits. It's almost a carbon copy of the Apollo IV mission, which proved that the Apollo capsule could survive a 20,000 mph re-entry into Earths atmosphere. Also, it will be completely conducted on Battery Power.

thanks' date=' did as you said, but it didnt work. i gotta admit im confused about what goes where to install this one, since everything isn't inside one GameData file. Aaaaanyway.....i did get them to stop exploding, but only by moving everything back to the old file structure, and by not using the Spaces folder - so now i get no portraits, no internals. Have I've missed something fundamental in the install???[/quote']

think i sorted this out (for now)....some bug in ksp, cant switch ships until closer than 200m without things falling apart and exploding. wrong thread it seems. my bad.

See now I don't get that. Proton works fine for me, Soyuz with Progress and Soyuz TMA works fine. Kliper/Soyuz worked perfectly before. Something changed...

Im looking this now

Here's some pics of it happening. No idea what's going on but it only happens with the Kliper and it didn't use to.

4D9BFC464FDB6792C4CDBFC5846127E8D8351343

88670214EA1376144834FA0F93D642CD1725A6E1

121AA96CD451090D6FE5AF658E04A0CD7CA55D30

Edited by Good_Apollo

Here's some pics of it happening. No idea what's going on but it only happens with the Kliper and it didn't use to.

start your gravity turn at 25km, that should work

start your gravity turn at 25km, that should work
Look at the picture...it's not the gravity turn, it just flips over. Doesn't matter what settings you have. Maybe it's just me, but I can't see how I can be the only one having this issue. I'm not doing anything special. I've turned off and on every setting, changed them around. Always flips over around 1-3KM. Edited by Good_Apollo

Look at the picture...it's not the gravity turn, it just flips over. Doesn't matter what settings you have. Maybe it's just me, but I can't see how I can be the only one having this issue. I'm not doing anything special. I've turned off and on every setting, changed them around. Always flips over around 1-3KM.
It is the Gravity turn. The wingsurfaces of the Kliper cause that to happen. Start your gravity turn later and it shouldn't happen.

It is the Gravity turn. The wingsurfaces of the Kliper cause that to happen. Start your gravity turn later and it shouldn't happen.
Why don't people listen, damn. Believe it or not I know what I'm talking about, this isn't working properly.

11AB2F7E74F92E6D8706EFD43E806544E66E80FF

78F463FC811241212353E66D2A26A33C6F503618

60869D108A256ECDCEFF4493FB1EE9CA80FD8DE5

Try to start the turn even higher. Believe me i had the same problem.
You honestly fail at reading. That's not the gravity turn, look at the altitude I've got it set for and the altitude the rocket is at when it begins to flip.

You honestly fail at reading. That's not the gravity turn, look at the altitude I've got it set for and the altitude the rocket is at when it begins to flip.
Being so arrogant isn't going to help you. Yes i have looked at the pictures and YES i know what i'm talking about. You have to start the gravity turn when you are in thinner atmosphere.

Im all with Good_Apollo i still havent figured out how to launch Klipper into space, same thing happens to me.. Launches, then the flaps start flapping like crazy and then the party starts for real and everything goes south (The Kliper starts to do wird flap stuff causing the rocket to flip over and crash)

Canopus

Could you be a darling and perhaps show a screenshot of your launch arch pls :)

Edited by Frandsen

the rocket's autopilot is set to begin the gravity turn at 2.5x105 meters (AKA 25 Kilometers) not 2.5x104 meters (AKA 2500 meters) and the rocket is flipping out at around the 2500m mark.

How is that a problem with the autopilot, again?

(scientific notation, for when you can't afford to make silly decimal point placement errors)

Being a long-time user of MechJeb and specifically the Ascent Autopilot, I know a few things about it that are relevant to the discussion between @Canopus and @Good_Apollo.

My personal experience has been that when you tell MechJeb to start the gravity turn at 25km, it will do all it can to keep the nose pointed at +90 pitch until it reaches that altitude. It has the same effect that you would get if you turned off the engines and attached a big hot air balloon to the nose of the rocket, then start the engines again and cut the balloon loose when the gravity turn altitude is reached.

Once again, if the rocket is below the gravity turn start altitude you have entered, MechJeb and MechJeb2 will use any and all pod torque, control surfaces, and/or {active and enabled} RCS thrusters on the ship to keep the engines pointed towards the surface and the nose pointed directly AWAY from the surface.

I know of nothing in MechJeb itself that will make MechJeb point the nose of the rocket at the ground, or make it flip out like that.

However, it WILL flip out if the center of mass and center of lift are misaligned, or if the center of mass and center of thrust are misaligned, and possibly even if the center of thrust and center of lift are misaligned (within a small margin that varies based on how well the ship responds to rotational controls {aka "control authority"})

Hope that helps clear things up regarding an overly-acrobatic Kliper launch vehicle.

EDIT: added description of important details of MJ2 ascent autopilot functionality

Edited by SciMan

Being so arrogant isn't going to help you. Yes i have looked at the pictures and YES i know what i'm talking about. You have to start the gravity turn when you are in thinner atmosphere.
Sooooooooooooo, as you can see, and as I've stated, it doesn't matter what the setting is. The rocket never makes it to a gravity turn. It always flips over at the same altitude shortly after launch. I've never gotten it to the gravity turn, it's at the vertical ascent!

878EFC50EFD180CFFF710B63B92D5679153B93D2

CC0F1FC2C20515493FA8D0D39323AFAD48438770

6B71FC3E78726FDD0A711A076DCBD5D91C0EFDE8

I've Never personally experienced that problem Good_Apollo, but I understand what you are saying. The vessel is flipping before the autopilot it's programmed to start any kind of turn, right? It should be going straight until your set gravity turn, but something is causing it to flip before that point.

Do you by any chance have FAR installed? It's the only thing that I can think of that could be causing it. Does it still flip if you go at a faster/slower speed? In the inputs window in the bottom left, what is mechjeb doing? Is it doing the usual stuff to keep it straight, or does it do something drastic that may cause the wings to move away from the velocity vector abd cause the flip.

I hope I can do something to help

Sooooooooooooo, as you can see, and as I've stated, it doesn't matter what the setting is. The rocket never makes it to a gravity turn. It always flips over at the same altitude shortly after launch. I've never gotten it to the gravity turn, it's at the vertical ascent!

Where's the gratity center of your rockets? If it's too near from your engine it may cause this sort of flips. Gravity center moves with fuel consumption and mass decrease.