[0.22.X] BobCat ind. Historical spacecraft thread

BobCat

Where? I cant find that... ((

here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24724-0-20-X-BobCat-ind-Historical-spacecraft-thread?p=423695#post423695

page 73

The surfaceDist value may require additional tweaking, with a use of original model (it seems to be the distance beetween 0;0;0 point of the part and KAS attachment node) - I found 0.08 by trial and error

Does it go partially inside the descent tank? That's what I was thinking would be logical, one side has part of the rover inside of it, the other side has all the other surface equipment.

Still seems odd to me..but ok.
It folded up pretty nice.

Apollo151.jpg

Don't worry, I too see the SEV, while functional in design and purpose on location, to be completely ridiculous to be sent as anything but a separate, costly, inefficient cargo launch for what it does. Now if it somehow contained an ascent stage, we could talk.

Edited by Good_Apollo

WCole: To answer your questions about the Rover and the LM... There were actually two different designs of LM (and Apollo CSM/SM, too). The original version (the "H"-series) was used on Apollos 9-14. Apollos 15, 16, and 17 used the "J"-series Apollo complex, which (to make a long story short) was both capable of longer lunar stays and of landing a heavier load (it had a stronger engine). The LM descent stage is basically an octagon-shaped platform with the engine in the middle. The engine is surrounded by eight bays that make up the sides of the octagon. Four of the bays are roughly cubic, and four are "corner" bays that are angled. Imagine taking five squares and arranging them into a cross, then connecting the edges into an octagon. That's roughly the structure of the DM.

Each one of those bays had something in it -- some had fuel/oxygen tanks, some were equipment bays, etc.. And, on the J-series LMs, one bay (I believe one of the square ones) held the rover. It hinged out like a Murphy bed, so that it pretty much unfolded right onto the surface without the astronaut having to do much. It was, to use a technical term, a bitchin' awesome design....

It folded up pretty nice.

Apollo151.jpg

Don't worry, I too see the SEV, while functional in design and purpose on location, to be completely ridiculous to be sent as anything but a separate, costly, inefficient cargo launch for what it does. Now if it somehow contained an ascent stage, we could talk.

The SEV is designed to be part used for habitat and to be used for science. As I asked after a lecture at JSC last week, why go if you can't do science while you're there?