LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

What about a gear-tooth approach? Not the most elegant I suppose, but would be easier for it to snap together with very little rotation needed. Another idea would be a "flap and spike" approach. Basically on the female side of the CBM have a set of flaps (animated would be nifty) that are set at like 45 degrees or something. The male side has a sort of "spike" on each corner (again, animated would be nifty) that fits in the gap between adjacent female flaps :3 This approach would allow alignment without dependence on initial direction, so long as the initial direction was at least reasonably on-axis xy with the area vector.

edit: will make a sketchup to better illustrate. brb

Like this: http://imgur.com/ov5CKB1

That should give you the basic idea. Did it super fast so it super sucks

Or enhancing that a little, hows about the female part have a cone in each corner recessed into the docking port, and the male have pins which when contact the cone slide in locking down when it reaches the thin end of the cones...

I definitely no artist, but it should give you a little idea...

captureieob.jpg

i think i have an idea of one though im wondering if i should make an animated part or not, that is if its possible for it to do the animation once the crafts dock

It'd just require a plugin to detect when the docking port is docked (or close enough for the animation to have an effect on how sturdy the docking is, which would also require a trigger or raycasting)

I've been awaiting the release of electronicfox's tracks for some time now, but I'm having a few problems with it at the moment (Runtime error on launch, could be a conflicting plugin).

They do load in the VAB however, so I've re-worked the wheel housing to make some track housing for the MkIII and MkIV.

Don't suppose you guys could give them a go, see how much room there is for the suspension, etc?

2013-06-10_2TrackHousing.zip

I've played around with the tracks briefly, just enough to know that they work well enough, esp. with rovers based on the "Hog" cockpit. They aren't the fastest things but they're stable. BTW... Love your stuff! Just one maybe "not-so-simple" request... Rotation control for the Centrifugal Habitat! That thing is a bloody beast to get into orbit... Many Kerbals have died trying!

As for CBMs; I could possible work the CBM alignment by having a pair of clamp-like objects on the side, best have them visible if I do that. The problem comes from when the opposing parts come together, having the meshes lock together is orientation dependent, which is a bit difficult to comprehend without a visual guide. If anyone has any ideas for a 'lock and key' that won't depend on the initial orientation you approach from then say (preferably with sketches).

made a quick concept animation of something that could work, didn't animate everything as the rotation was being a pain and i need to change some things to make it not so annoying, and maybe a few other things

made a quick concept animation of something that could work, didn't animate everything as the rotation was being a pain and i need to change some things to make it not so annoying, and maybe a few other things

-Snip-

That looks like fun!

The new track housing does not fit the 2x1 or 1x2 whatever it's called. Also the nodes are some distance away from the part.

What version of KSP are you using? It uses the new part tools and MODEL{} which doesn't really work with any version other than 0.20.2, that should explain the issues you're having.

Edit: Seen it's a problem with the 4x2. I'll have a go at fixing it.

Edit:

As for CBMs, the lock and teeth looks like it'll work, not sure why I thought it may not. Yep, that seems to work, you'll need to be fairly exact already when you line them up mind.

Edited by Lack

Ive got a question, how many of you build space craft with the majority of your 2x1 parts being vertical as if you were building with the bridge or the droopy an how many build space craft that are horizontal like the duck or hog

your answers may or may not affect the landing legs I'm working on

Edited by Ember

Ive got a question, how many of you build space craft with the majority of your 2x1 parts being vertical as if you were building with the bridge or the droopy an how many build space craft that are horizontal like the duck or hog

I have horizontal vessels like the duck and the hog.

Using the Caterpillar tracks and LLL i managed to make my new set of vehicles!

jLL6mUfh.png

wq0TZDDh.png

Crew Transport

49DBEpHh.png

sj1JjNth.png

Mobile Kethane Miner+Converter

tkNqQrMh.png

pT8ueZWh.png

Mobile Crane using KAS and canadarm2

fKK2kXVh.png

How the Crane and Miner get power

r5DTwClh.png

View of all three

Hope you liked them :)

EDIT* Both the miner and Crane make use of Infernal Robotics (0.20.2 Damned Robotics)

Edited by ickli

Mostly horizontal.

Hey, just wondering what happened to the larger railing pieces. They don't seem to be in the version I've got.

I've scrapped them at the moment, try and prevent myself from making too many parts and they're a little large at 2/3 the height of your average Kerbal. The smaller one is roughly 1/2 the height which is closer to human:railing.

0.10.0 will see a few other old parts disappear from it, they'll be replaced by other parts.

In the mean time, you'd best go on space-port and grab the Railings download there then open up the .cfg and then do the whole

PART
{

[cfg goes here]

}

thing.

Spaceport's been acting up for me recently, it wouldn't let me update the railings download or upload new ones.

Updated CBM, with invisible teeth. Works pretty well during my brief testing, how's it work for the rest of you?

Here's the teeth's [invisible] mesh in Unity:

SaDDGLW.png

2013-06-11CBM.zip

@ickli,

Those are some really nice rovers, I should have a look at making some track mounts for the 4x2 sized hulls. May require a new model that.

Edited by Lack

@Lack Thanks :) I'll be sure to DL that new track housing and get onto moveable bases!

BTW, i can't find the extendable Docking port :S

EDIT* is it even released yet or am i assuming it was since someone asked about the model being changed?

Edited by ickli

@Lack Thanks :) I'll be sure to DL that new track housing and get onto moveable bases!

BTW, i can't find the extendable Docking port :S

EDIT* is it even released yet or am i assuming it was since someone asked about the model being changed?

It is in there.

Caan you make a version without the Kethane tanks?

just remove the kethane tanks from the parts folder within your game folder and your all set

Edited by Ember

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.