[0.21] Kerbal LiveFeed: Passive Multiplayer Plugin/Client/Server v0.7.1

SodiumEyes

Hello boys and girls ( and Kerbals in between ),

Not sure if there is already something like this but here is simple script solution to run KLF in screen on linux. As I run proper server I prefer things running without need of open console.

What you need:

KLFServer.exe ( I will end up in silicone hell for running .exe on linux :) )

mono ( on ubuntu install via apt-get install mono-complete )

screen ( usually already in your linux distribution, if not, install... )

Two scripts in the same directory preferable:

start.sh

ksp_start.sh

Now what is inside them you ask ?

start.sh

#!/bin/bash
# open screen window, name it ksp and start the script ksp_start.sh in it
screen -S ksp -t ksp -d -m /ksp/ksp_start.sh

* note I have path to /ksp/ksp_start.sh, I like to use full path to the script your location might differ ( consult you doctor or apothecary )

ksp_start.sh

#!/bin/bash
# this will be executed inside previously opened screen window
mono /ksp/KLFServer.exe

Make both script executable with

chmod +x ksp_start.sh start.sh

Usage:

cd to directory where you have these files.

./start.sh

and its done... if you wanna look inside the running screen issue:

screen -r ksp

To jump out of screen without terminating session:

ctrl+a+d

This might be trivial for linux veterans, but somebody might find it useful..

One issue I have found and not have time to solve is that mono require root access for some stupid reason, I will have a look at that as that's not something I like to see.

Enjoy,

Vladoportos

Edited by vladoportos

So... both servers I had on my favorites are down and the server list page is down also... Is it coming back anytime soon? Anyone have the address for a server that has people on it?

Released new version that allows for servers to ban ips.

Also added a public google-doc for people to add public servers while the general-physics status page is down

Colsupertaco: The format for addresses is address:port

Hey quick question: If me and my friend do this, if we both EVA a kerbal can we like see each other's ships? And would it be real time (I want to make a multiplier lets play video).

Hey quick question: If me and my friend do this, if we both EVA a kerbal can we like see each other's ships? And would it be real time (I want to make a multiplier lets play video).

No, it's not 'true' multiplayer. You cannot directly interact with other ships. You can see their position on the map, as well as what they are currently doing, and chat and share screenshots, but that is all.

No, it's not 'true' multiplayer. You cannot directly interact with other ships. You can see their position on the map, as well as what they are currently doing, and chat and share screenshots, but that is all.

For bitter shame.

Why play alone when you can play with friends ...

Kudos to SodiumEYEs !

I was looking at this and read the docs...does this add any lagg to the game? What about debris does all that stuff show up as icons?

I watched a video where people can also use Hamachi - Hamachi is pretty neat but I cant remember if you can search on KSP etc.

You can setup a KSP server and Hamachi, then set the server IP to the Hamachi address; that way people can connect to your own server in that way; I think Hamachi server IP does not change unlike personal IPs so at least whenever the server player is on he/she doesnt have to fiddle with the IP changes and readd to the server list etc...dont quote me on this...I have yet to try it.

Cdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta
addendum

there is no reason to use Hamachi

just set the IP address. it saves it. if you want KLF can even save Favorites. (see the documentation).

again, there is no reason to complicate your life, or your PC with Hamachi to use KLF and KSP.

So, umm, small question: How the hell do you make it work on a mac?

I run this on the mac, but you will have to install Mono. Once that is installed, you open up Terminal and use "cd <your KSP directory with KLFClient.exe in it>" then "mono KLFClient.exe". This will launch the client, wherein you can enter your name, server setting, and connect. There is a link in OP that has available servers.

what would be cool is if you could hit a button and livefeed would generate a copy of another players craft exactly where it should be on the map, this way you could do co-op builds :D doubt its possible but good job on the mod anyways it looks pretty damn amazing

what would be cool is if you could hit a button and livefeed would generate a copy of another players craft exactly where it should be on the map, this way you could do co-op builds :D doubt its possible but good job on the mod anyways it looks pretty damn amazing

ok, this is the first good idea... in long while.. in this thread. Because this could actually be DONE....

from here : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24931-0-19-1-Every-Single-Awesome-application-I-have-ever-made-Megathread! is a tool called KSP Save Merger a version of that could be cobbled to allow a player A, flying a ship, to press Button "Copy" and allow player B can then press "Paste" and ka-bam! the ship, with all its orbital info, could possibly be pasted into Players B's save file.

it Might work.

turned based games ...

gotta luv em !

the main question is whether people want to clutter up their prize space only to add more lagg once the ships are (actually) added

I read where the lagg issue may be resolved in the next edition of KSP

Cdr Zeta

eh, I doubt it would work well at all for turn based game, even though I am sure you meant that tongue in cheek.

however, you can currently /sendcraft and /getcraft this is much the same except it is /sendcraftinorbit and /getcraftinorbit

lets say, I have the full Mir station built, and in a 52.6 deg orbit. You on the other hand, have the mod but just cant get it lifted and docked, so, I hop into my Mir, and click (or type) the Copy... and you hop into -something?, or even just sitting in the VAB, and click Paste. the next time you look at your tracking station, YOU too have a Mir in orbit.

(pause not more than 3 posts to hear someone yell "Cheater!")

A bit more results from testing things. It seems that KLF won't crash KSP if I'm really slow when clicking on screenshots. e.g. If I click on a name, and the screenshot doesn't show I need to wait a minute then click on the same name again until the screenshot shows up. Once it does, I can click on other names and view other shots. If one fails to load the first time and then I click on another name, it will almost certainly crash. If it doesn't crash, there will be image data corruption on subsequent images.

Velusip, I have seen that bug as well, but with the latest version of KLF it happens a whole lot less. Also the server, and your ping time TO the server, can effect this.

Would be nice to have ability to register users with name and password, to prevent name stealing in server. Could use SQLite and simple file database structure, directly in game log in. Its just mine two cents, love the plugin/mod !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.