[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

Could you make a RD-0410 or the Russian NTR? It'd make "What If" realistic Russian interplanetary missions easier.

I had made a RD-0440 ? in the past packs of 2011-12 but it was more like an american NERVA than the russian version however its internal flow was based off the russian instead of the nerva. It just looked like a nerva. I have plans to make a new engine the RD-0450 as a replacment which would be a bit different still and Bi-propellent driven :) but it would be sometime before that is worked on. It would be a weird model I think.

some pictures of the RD-33, next to the RD-191. Note the 1.25m and 2.5m anchor bases :D

Rd-33.png

3.75? I doubt it. maybe adapters to fit 3.75 nicely but 3.75 is a huge engine and one huge engine is not very russian is it? :D

Anyway putting down the modelling for a bit to hopefully get a quick update to SSPP today. Do things like add the new 0.21 stuff in.

also, looking for beta testers for these new engines... they need balancing and normak has a job now :(

3.75? I doubt it. maybe adapters to fit 3.75 nicely but 3.75 is a huge engine and one huge engine is not very russian is it? :D

Anyway putting down the modelling for a bit to hopefully get a quick update to SSPP today. Do things like add the new 0.21 stuff in.

also, looking for beta testers for these new engines... they need balancing and normak has a job now :(

Ill beta test if you like, I do weird and crazy things with engines :) testing them I mean

I need people that can deminstrate and understanding of various engines and recommend the correct ISp and preform tests so that they will be like stock engines but provide their own benefit and fill their intended role. For example for the NK-33 what would you recommend that I set its stats to?

WOW, thank you so much for updating this CBBP! is there any chance that you could try and optimize the huge solar wings a bit more? they create terrible lag for me! :)

I need people that can deminstrate and understanding of various engines and recommend the correct ISp and preform tests so that they will be like stock engines but provide their own benefit and fill their intended role. For example for the NK-33 what would you recommend that I set its stats to?

It's hard to say on the spot but its something I can easily look up and was halfway to answer before writing this post. So meh

well they are high ploy lol.

There is one way to optimize the parts without having to change the models. Though some people will dislike the change. Namely, replacing the .MBM textures (which are uncompressed bitmaps) with .PNG textures.

Before anyone brings up the fact that .PNG textures take forever to load in Unity... What's more important? More free RAM (and thereby, faster and less laggy spacecraft), or faster loading times? There's also compressed .TGA format but that is lesser quality than a PNG or MBM; though it does load faster than a PNG.

BUT that is a task that requires one to replace all the textures. Which is a bit of a PITA. But then again the question becomes: What's more important, RAM or loading time?

Oh. . . I just thought you'd be making one. Well nice update on the parts, I can finally make a MIR on 0.21 (I personally like your parts when making eye-candy stations. :D) And the suspense is killing me on the engine development! XD

Excellent. I'm not sure if I missed you explaining this in the past, but are you redoing all the engines? I mean, I don't know the technical issues involved, but if they're all of that quality, I'll be something to look forward to.

There is one way to optimize the parts without having to change the models. Though some people will dislike the change. Namely, replacing the .MBM textures (which are uncompressed bitmaps) with .PNG textures.

Before anyone brings up the fact that .PNG textures take forever to load in Unity... What's more important? More free RAM (and thereby, faster and less laggy spacecraft), or faster loading times? There's also compressed .TGA format but that is lesser quality than a PNG or MBM; though it does load faster than a PNG.

BUT that is a task that requires one to replace all the textures. Which is a bit of a PITA. But then again the question becomes: What's more important, RAM or loading time?

Ram. I can deal with longer loading time.

The KSP equivalent RD-33 against the actual NK-33 could be interesting, as that engine was a serious beast

Scaling down (0.64 I think) for KSP scale drops the ~2m diameter NK-33 to ~1.25m almost exactly

The nk-33 is 1505kN for 1.235t, So you might end up with something like 300/330 ISP with 1000 thrust against only 0.8 weight on a 1.25m mount, and that's at only ~102 TWR, the actual NK-33 had 137.

Ideas for more KSP appropriate stats?

If we take the Mainsail as the F-1 equivalent (that's ~6.7MN at 8.4t becomes 1.5MN at 6t), and have a look on the TWR table, some fiddling with the ratios still gives us ~320 thrust (4.6666 step down) on 0.9 weight (1.4 stepdown) for a 1.25m diameter version.

Which is pretty butt-kicking (with 300/330 ISP)

Edited by NoMrBond

Is anyone else getting a crash to desktop whenever loading one of the stock ships, like the TKS or anything else? I haven't made any modifications, but it's been crashing every time. And the strange thing is, I can load the individual parts just fine.

That sounds totally beast, but I feel all the stock balancing horde would flip for it being just a TAD bit overpowered.... :)

Yeah, the 'problem' I guess is the NK-33 was the culmination, the pinnacle, the 'end-game' if you will, engine of the Russian space program at the time, so it just looks great when compared to the level of stuff in KSP right now

Who knows what research might allow you to do eventually though, so you might need to wind it back with the proviso that this is what it could be at the end of the research tree, but right now maybe it's just a bit much?

It was designed as an early stage, high power, thick atmosphere booster, and boy is it good at that. Not sure if you'd want 330 ISP once you were in space though, bit of a fuel hog.

[Edit] To put that in perspective, the Merlin-1d (the only 'modern' engine on the TWR table) has a TWR of 160, and would convert (with the KSP conversion ratios 0.64size/4.666thrust/1.4weight) to something like 0.3 weight with 130 thrust at 275/305 ISP.

[Edit2] The Constellation-C5 out of the AIES pack already has a 200 thrust for 0.5 weight engine so I'm not seeing too much of the stretch to 320kN for 0.9t considering the ISP. It would let you 5x cluster for 4.5t to 1600kN, which is definitely better but isn't too far off what a Mainsail is.

Edited by NoMrBond

I really don't get ISP I think I need to see it drawn out or something. or a graph or some jazz lol.

but I will use these aweosme numbers reguardless lol. as for research..... Nk-33 was an overhauled Nk-15. I see no reason it should be low on the research tree. lol. But it will depend on stock stuff. Rd-0146 will definitely be far up it though. Even though it is Rl-10 like which is also a really old engine. come to think of it. there really arn;t any new amazing engines aside from the merlin.

I was meaning more that it (the NK-33) was contemporary with the F-1, but against their differing ideologies (many small vs. few large), even the contemporary RD-275 revisions of the RD-253 aren't much different at all from the 33's even though they're separated by almost 40 years of design

Hah, yeah I think a converted KSP version Merlin-1D in (probably) 0.625m format with 0.3 weight and 130 thrust as a stack engine would blow peoples minds.

Edited by NoMrBond