vague eva plugin idea

Chris_C

I find myself in the position where I have a station with fuel tanks brought up from different launches, which I'd like connected. You might also like to wire round some part that's not cross feed compatible...?

I assume for this I'd need two fuel lines, one for each direction? (Not terribly sure how this works as only just recently have 3 or 4 modules together for the first time) Looking at the plugin API I can see how I could access the vessels part hierarchy. I'm less clear how I'd make a new part of a specific type, but that's all part of the fun of programming :D

However what I'd like to discuss is ideas for how the user should plan an EVA mission and what the user should the have to make the kerbal do (is there anything in the API for kerbals even?)

While there are loads of ideas for other EVA missions, especially on other planet surfaces I just want to stick with the fuel line mission idea, for the time being....

Hang on so let me clear this up. You'd like to be able to pull together and connect multiple ships in EVA, and surface mount parts including fuel lines (and presumably struts. Who doesn't like struts?)

As far as I am aware no plugin does that.

With the exception of pulling ships together and docking them in EVA it MIGHT be possible. However how you'd pull it off in game play would require a lot of careful thought. You need to consider how you want to get the spare parts into space. Do you want kerbals to remove parts too? How will they hold the part? Can they use ladders while they do? Can they drop the parts? As well as any other issues that you can think of. Once you've done that go make a concise but detailed post in the addon's request section; and maybe someone will give you a hand.

Hang on so let me clear this up. You'd like to be able to pull together and connect multiple ships in EVA, and surface mount parts including fuel lines (and presumably struts. Who doesn't like struts?)

As far as I am aware no plugin does that.

With the exception of pulling ships together and docking them in EVA it MIGHT be possible. However how you'd pull it off in game play would require a lot of careful thought. You need to consider how you want to get the spare parts into space. Do you want kerbals to remove parts too? How will they hold the part? Can they use ladders while they do? Can they drop the parts? As well as any other issues that you can think of. Once you've done that go make a concise but detailed post in the addon's request section; and maybe someone will give you a hand.

wasn't looking for "help" I was looking for ideas and suggestions so I could firm together my ideas, I wasn't envisioning "pulling together" ships - not sure where you got that from! but only dealing with ships that are docked together and so become one vessel...

I can iterate over a parts list so could probably build a list of candidate parts ie a strut could go from a module to a fuel tank but you wouldnt really want to see an RCS thruster in the list of FROM and TO components...

As for if there is a clear path between parts I'm less certain of a method for that, possibly rely on the good sense of the user :-o

wasn't looking for "help" I was looking for ideas and suggestions so I could firm together my ideas, I wasn't envisioning "pulling together" ships - not sure where you got that from! but only dealing with ships that are docked together and so become one vessel...

I can iterate over a parts list so could probably build a list of candidate parts ie a strut could go from a module to a fuel tank but you wouldnt really want to see an RCS thruster in the list of FROM and TO components...

As for if there is a clear path between parts I'm less certain of a method for that, possibly rely on the good sense of the user :-o

OK I think I know what your getting at now. I believe that a lot of the part placement code from the VAB works in the flight scene, so you can get a kerbal to grab a part and still test it's placement in the usual manner.

OK I think I know what your getting at now. I believe that a lot of the part placement code from the VAB works in the flight scene, so you can get a kerbal to grab a part and still test it's placement in the usual manner.

Is there any documentation for this - the wiki seems very outdated :( - better yet seen an example of this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.